Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-28-2006, 10:20 AM #1
NECanes Coach
Turnin Kids 2 ballers

NECanes Coach is a Supporting Member
NECanes Coach is a Professional paintball player
Coach's Corner: Don't Beat Yourself!

I'm sorry it has been so long since my last Coaches Corner, but you know how it is.

The season is in full swing, and we are just back from Huntington Beach. There were a number of set backs, and distractions which could have easily derailed what we had set out to do, but my team is a mentally tough bunch of guys, who leave all of the BS in the staging area, and just take their game to the field. At the end of the day, everyone looks up at the scoreboard, and the top 8 teams get an invitation to the coveted Sunday Club (Playoffs). No one wants to hear about your problems, or the trials and tribulations of your life. The only thing that matters is what is on the score board.

If you haven't already, you will be playing your first event soon. This is a very exciting time, but can also be an unsettling time. Many teams have new players, or are using new equipment. There may be doubts in your mind. In our case, we were doubted. It was thought that some of our new players wouldn't stand up to the pressure of playing 8 Pro teams in one day for the right to join the Sunday Club. Many forget that 3 of the 4 new players we picked up played Pro with Eclipse Factory team, so we are not as green as they may have thought. I think HB settled any doubts about our mettle. I want to share with you part of what led to my teams success this past weekend.

Don't beat yourself. Don't make excuses. Don't whine. Just Play.
Leave everything you got on that field after every game you play.

We all know that the game we love is flawed. The refs just can't be everywhere on the field, and as the guns get faster, and the air is full of paint, they will have a harder and harder time getting in to make those calls. What can you do about it? Nothing. So, don't be the clown that we all laugh at from the sidelines. The one who just missed 600 times at 5 targets, but wants to blame the one, or two mistakes the refs made for his team's loss.

How should you react when Joe Bob gets his face blown off in the snake, because Tommy Too Stupid wasn't shooting down the wire? Should you go back to your staging area, break a chair or two, throw your gun, and slap Tommy a few times? You may feel better, but I don't think that will help you win the rest of your games. When my guys got slapped around by INFAMOUS, we continued to play hard, and we continued to refine our game plans. We met them again on Sunday and played for a chance to break into the elite Final Four. Our efforts, and level heads, helped us to avoid a loss, but unfortuantely the victory eluded us, so our time to shine will have to wait a few weeks.

The point is: You have to keep your mind clear. I always tell players to stay focused, and they just look at me with a confused look. When you come off the field, the first thing you should be wondering is "what happened?". Do you know who shot you? Figure out what you did wrong, and compare those notes to those of your team mates. Adjust your game plan, and do better next time. Mistakes are ok. The first time. Keep making the same mistake, and people will think you are doing it on purpose.

That's enough for now. We'll be watching.

D.A.
Hurricane Facebook Fan Site
Old 03-28-2006, 01:55 PM #2
Xaerak
Just Live

Xaerak is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Xaerak supports Bob Gurnsey
Great post, this is going to help get rid of some of my problems on the field as a player!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:08 PM #3
Bugler
Work Gloves Are So AGG!

Thanks Coach. Thatta away to represent NE. I'm just sad Dave (T-Bo of Eclipse factory/Distortion) isn't playing any more, he was a sick back player. Best of luck to the CAnes the rest of the season. Are you guys showing up for the NEPL?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:30 PM #4
paiintballa182

Old 03-28-2006, 02:56 PM #5
Bored

Bored is a Supporting Member
Bored plays in the APPA D3 division
Great read, will help our team to stay focused in NEPL.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:10 PM #6
Brickhouse

Brickhouse is a Supporting Member
Yah a bunch of us will be there for the nepl, i think were gonna help reff actually. Also we should have a booth set up with aliens there and what not, so make sure to check it out.

www.bonusballer.net

Paintball coverage for the players, by the players-- CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:56 PM #7
Xaerak
Just Live

Xaerak is a Supporting Member
Xaerak supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhouse
Yah a bunch of us will be there for the nepl, i think were gonna help reff actually. Also we should have a booth set up with aliens there and what not, so make sure to check it out.
Very interested to check them out!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:13 PM #8
discounteggroll
Always Free Delivery

hey rob, can you try and call me when you get a chance, wanted to talk to you about the dm (203)216-1369.
thanks, Mike
Old 04-20-2006, 10:56 PM #9
Nor Cal Shocker
I really don't care....

Nor Cal Shocker is a Supporting Member
Anymore of these coaches corner coming in the near future?????

Sorry to "up" an older thread.....
Old 04-21-2006, 06:32 AM #10
Jolfer
http://lennyemery.com/

Good post, good read.

MySpace - FaceBook - LennyEmery.com - Twitter
Old 04-27-2006, 11:42 AM #11
atg-wgp
RIPTIDE

too bad dougie doesnt play anymore. he gave me his splurge jersey before he went off to fly planes though

T E A M R I P T I D E
WWW.RIPTIDEPB.COM
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1539595 GEARBAG SALE!!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:18 PM #12
bigspl1092
german mob

good post tnx coach
hurricanes supporter #171
anti-photoshop thread team #2
german mob join us if your german

I WANT YOUR GEARBAG pm
i do custom powdercoating pm me for quotes
join and say bigspl1092 referred you