Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:44 PM #1
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

Gangsta111's Newbie Guide to Speedball

Gangsta111’s Newbie Guide to Speedball

This is the final copy of my previous rough draft posted. There was insufficient space in that one post so i had to repost. Please post suggestions or maybe something I missed or should include. Some of the pieces are my opinion and are not fact. Constructive criticism is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Intro-
So your looking to get into the fast pace style of paintball play called speedball? If you answer yes, you should read this article to obtain some key information on speedball play. Speedball fields are various sizes and usually played with air bunkers. There are many different types of speedball play. Most tournaments use a form of capture the flag. Which means there is a flag either in the middle of the field or on your opponents side of the field you are looking to hang usually on your opponents side of the field if its in the center or on your half of the field if the flag is on your opponents half. Speedball tournaments are usually played either 3-man, 5-man, 7-man and in some semi pro/pro tournaments 10-man, in fact I have never seen a format different besides the occasional 1 on 1 tournament. The elimination style of play is self explanatory, if you’re shot, your out, whichever team eliminates all of the players on the opposing team wins.

Equipment-

Marker- When reading the forums on PbN, this is probably the most controversial aspect of the sport. I see countless threads a day asking what particular gun they should buy. The answer is that it’s all PERSONAL PREFERENCE. I don’t know what you like in a gun and what you don’t like in a gun. To someone who doesn’t care about the weight or efficiency of their marker, something like a Matrix would be a great, inexpensive starting speedball gun judging you have played your fair share of paintball before and is going to be able to maintain it. To someone who has never played paintball before, it might be smart to go for something even more inexpensive, and a gun that is simple to maintain so you can get the hold of owning a paintball marker. Something like a spyder/spyder clone or a tippmann would be good to start out with. Even though these guns won’t keep up with the high-ends unless you plan on dropping a ton of cash into it, with these markers you can work on basic skills such as shooting accurate and snap shooting because your skills are more valuable because you cant lay down a lane of 15 BPS. But the truth is, $300, can get you a marker that will keep up with ANY level of play. So just because you are starting to play speedball don’t think you have to drop a grand on a gun.

Hopper- When buying a hopper, take into consideration what marker you own or what marker you plan on owning in the near future. For any marker I would suggest at least some sort of agitator. A revvy, reloader or quantum, are examples of these. But if you own a mech spyder and don’t plan on upgrading, there is no sense in buying $100 hopper.
Many owners of spyder with only one ball detent have problems with Halo B’s too. The halo pushes the paint right past the detent, which results in double feeding and barrel breaks.

Tank- Deciding on a tank is simple. First, know what you can use on your gun. Then from there, you have to think of your priority characteristics for a setup is. If weight is your top priority you would probably want to go with a smaller carbon fiber wrapped nitrogen/compressed air tank. Make sure you hold different size tanks with a gun to see what size you like best. Also consider how many shots you want to get off of a fill. Some good tank brands are Pure Energy, Crossfire, and Nitro Duck just to name a few.

Mask- One of your most important, if not the most important piece of equipment you own. If you can’t see, you are of no use to your team and you won’t be able to play effectively. When buying a mask, consider what type of lenses you want. Look through different types of lenses to see which you like best and decide whether you play more indoor or outdoor when deciding on what lenses you want. Make sure your lenses are anti-fog too. Make sure your mask full-face protection with a strong plastic, not some flabby rubber. Consider peripheral vision as well as chin straps too. Some quality mask brands are Dye, Proto, JT, V-Force. So all in all, just do not cheap out on your mask. Your eyes are very important.

Harness- When buying a harness, decide how much you shoot a game and how many pods you would like to be able to carry. To start off you probably wont need more than 2-3 pods a game. Try on a few different types to see what’s comfortable on you. Some good companies that make good packs are Dye, Proto, NXE, Redz, and Empire just to name a few.

Clothing- Paintball is one of the biggest fashion sports known to man. A major concern for many paintball players is simply looking good. Pants are important, buy pants with padded knees and padded crotch area if you don’t wear a cup. Baggy clothes will get you more bounces so avoid tight fitting clothes. As for a shirt, short sleeves can leave you some pretty nasty welts on your arms so I would recommend something long-sleeve if you don’t wear a jersey. Cleats or sneakers with good traction are important to, even at indoor field, playing surfaces can get extremely slick. In speedball you need to be able to move fast with having the confidence that you’re not going to fall on your face.

Some good places to buy your gear at is:
www.pbgear.com
www.firstcallpaintball.com
www.orderpaintball.com
www.compulsivepaintball.com
www.criticalpaintball.com
And of course the B/S/T forums on PbN, there is also a sticky in the newbie forum with a gigantic list of online paintball shops.

Checklist of everything to have before you leave for the field in no particular order-

1.Common Sense (From The Hawk)
2.Marker
3.Hopper
4.Tank
5.Mask
6.Pod Pack
7.Pods
8.Long Pants ( Paintball Pants STRONGLY Reccomended )
9.Long Sleeve Shirt
10.Gloves ( Optional )
11.Cleats ( Optional )
12.Barrell Bag
13.Allen Wrench Set and Tools
14.Barrell Swab
15.Cloth
16.Anti-Fog Lense Cleaner ( Optional )
17.Hydration
18.Snacks
19.Money
20.Paint ( Unless your buying field paint )
21.Spare Parts
22.Wavier

Last edited by Gangsta111 : 05-13-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2006, 07:45 PM #2
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

Drills, Skills, and Tips- When playing speedball, a good player must develop some skills. Many of these skills aren’t easy to practice, and in some, repetition will develop muscle memory will prove to be an asset to you. A good speedball player must be able to move quickly, and I don’t just mean running. You need to be able to snap shoot quickly and pop-up from your slide quickly too.

Bunker Pictures and Names

Pre-Game- In speedball, the game really begins before the referee even yells “GO!.” The game begins right when you arrive at the field. Good pre-game preparation can give you the advantage over other team. Before play, it is extremely important for you and your team to walk the field. Lean it well, maybe even sketch it on some paper so you and your teammates can coordinate. Before play, make sure you have everything you need as well. A few things you should always carry with you are a barrel bag, swap, and a cloth.

Off the Break- Knowing how to play well off the break is a very important aspect of the game. A team that communicates and coordinates well off the break can eliminate a number of opposing players, which gives you the advantage. On the contrary, a team that does not play well off the break can mean some of your players getting hit which gives you the disadvantage. For most front players, their main goal is to simply make it to their bunker, run as fast and as hard as you can and make a nice slide into your bunker should get you there safely, as well as scooping out possible lanes from your opponents and trying to avoid them as much as possible. Back players job off the break can sometimes vary depending on the field setup. On a more open field back player might have to do the same as front players and just try to make it to their destination bunker. A more congested field gives the back player more options. In this case, back payers should provide appropriate cover fire for front players by shooting off the break, maybe delay if possible. Make sure to lane out possible paths your opponents might take to.

Snap Shooting- Snap shooting is when your behind your bunker, then you expose the minimum of your body quickly to be able to fire a couple quality shots off and get behind your bunker quickly before your opponents shoot you or even see you. When learning how to snap shoot, picture those whack-a-mole games at arcades. They pop out, you see them, but by the time you try to smack them they are already back in their little hole. A good drill to help with snap shooting is a drill I saw in the Dynasty Dysected video. I don’t remember exactly what they call it, but pretty much, you get 2 players at bunkers about 20 feet away from each other. Then each player snapshoots until he eliminates his opponent. When you snap shoot you may only fire one shot at a time, then check back into your bunker before you fire again. You may post up as long as you want but once you take your shot you must check back into your bunker after you fire that one shot.

Communication-Another important skill is communication. You must be able to communicate well with your teammates. Communication does many different things to help you win the game. You yell when you see a players location to let your teammates know where to fire, or if an opponent is threatening the position of your teammate. You also need to be able to communicate to your teammates to let them know when you are advancing or changing bunkers so they can give you appropriate cover fire. This is a hard skill to practice, but make sure you know the names of all the bunkers (they are pretty much called what they look like), and you may want to formulate some type of code with your teammates just so you can let your teammate know exactly what going on and only say a couple of words doing it. A good teambuilding activity is playing GHTP, play co-op and work on your communication. It may sound lame but it helps.

Laning- Another skill is to learn how to find lanes to shoot. When you see a player running its natural to try to follow them with your shots. Instead of doing this, pick a spot, lay down a solid lane, and let them run through it. Make sure it’s not too low or too high, and make sure its far enough away from their destination bunker so when they go through it, they are running, not sliding. Try to get good angles on your opponents. Meaning its easier to shoot them at an angle then dead on. One big mistake I see kids do at the field, is they shoot the bunkers. Shooting the bunkers does nothing. By shooting the bunker it make them not want to pop out, and when they don’t pop out you can shoot them. Shoot next to the bunker so when they do pop out you hit them. Also, try to keep track of what side of the bunker they are on.

Pinching- Pinching is really very simple. Pinching is when you and at one of your teammates, lane at opposite sides of one of your opponents bunker. The skinnier the bunker you’re pinching, the more effective this technique is going to be. This disables your opponent from snapping out of both sides effectively, and if they try it chances are they are going to get shot. The larger the angle you and your teammate has on the bunker the better to. For example, of the break you run back left, one of your teammates, preferably another back-man, will run back left. Communicate with your teammate to determine which bunker to pinch, the one closest to the area halfway between you and your teammate that is being occupied by one of your opponents would be the best choice. Many times one of your opponents would run to there home bunker; this would be an ideal choice for pinching.

Bunkering- There are many different ways to bunker someone, the most common is when your opponent is looking, run to either side of the bunker and shoot them at close range. Before you make you move, try to decipher which side your opponent is trying to dominate and move on the opposite side. Look for barrels wrapping around the bunker or a hopper, or where he would most likely be covering according to the location and lanes of his teammates. If you can't tell, go to your right side of the bunker because most players are right-handed so there is a better chance he will be shooting out of his left side.

Playing Aggressively- Another aspect of speedball, is knowing when/when not to play aggressively. When I say playing aggressively I mean advancing on the field whenever possible, taking some risks, and overall threatening your opponents positions. When I play, I try to play as aggressive as possible through the whole game. The only time I will switch to a more conservative style is when my team is down in numbers by a few. Meaning, if there are two guys left on your team and still five guys let on the other team. Whenever you move there is going to be five guys paying closer attention to you because you are one of the few people left on your team. At this time, stay at your current position until you see a golden opportunity when you are positive you are going to make your destination bunker. Try to keep track of where your opponents are, it may be of help to you if you are at one of the tape bunkers so there is less of a chance of you getting pinched.

Finishing off a Game- So your opposing team only has one player left and your up on numbers? There are a few ways to close out a game. The easiest way to finish off a game happens when your opponents position is far from the tapes. Simply you and your teammate run opposite tapes and shoot at your opponents bunker while doing so. This is similar to pinching, this is sometimes called shooting a “V” as well because you and your teammate are shooting from opposite sides of the field at the same bunker which kind of forms a V.

Last edited by Gangsta111 : 03-21-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:48 PM #3
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

Getting on a team- When trying out for a team, make sure you have all of the basic skills I listed above. Find a reliable team that is going to stick together and won’t bail out on you. Let them know what you can do for the team. Make sure you are easy to work with and can learn how the team operates and their strategies quickly. Be able to make all practices and tournaments. Just be nice to your potential teammates; maybe take them out for a pizza or two.

Getting Sponsored (from nxy69)-
Now I'm sure this is every speedballers dream if you're on a team or not.
But think of this, when getting sponsered there are literaly thousands of other teams, what makes them choose you? Make sure that you appeal to what they sell, and make sure that you aren't stupid about it, and start off your e-mail by saying, Dude I love your products, or anything like that, that will just make them click, and delete. Be formal, and treat it like a resume. Also, make sure you have plenty of tournament time, and have won or at least placed in the top 5 in the tournaments you've played in. Companys like winning teams.

By Ricky Lewis; Gangsta111

Last edited by Gangsta111 : 03-21-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:52 PM #4
Spinal
Spyder ftw

pretty good.
Elite Spyder Owners
Back in black
Old 03-21-2006, 08:05 PM #5
electraman7 (Banned)

electraman7 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Added to ult. sticky.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:06 PM #6
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 08:11 PM #7
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Nice. I'm sure it will help many newer 'ballers.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:20 PM #8
NotYourPsycho
is now Mrs. Cyberthug :D

NotYourPsycho is a Moderator
NotYourPsycho is a Supporting Member
NotYourPsycho is a Paintball photographer
NotYourPsycho is reppin' sidebar 4 life
It might help if they read... and the fact they ask about dwell and other questions that could be found by looking in the stickies, making it obveous they didn't read them... I find this pointless...

But what the hell.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:24 PM #9
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
^^^^That's why they're called "newbs" .
Old 03-21-2006, 08:25 PM #10
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

if i help one clueless newbie, it was all worth while
Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 PM #11
NotYourPsycho
is now Mrs. Cyberthug :D

NotYourPsycho is a Moderator
NotYourPsycho is a Supporting Member
NotYourPsycho is a Paintball photographer
NotYourPsycho is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta111
if i help one clueless newbie, it was all worth while

::barfs::

Good for you then
Old 03-21-2006, 09:03 PM #12
Nxy69
EastCoastCartel

Nxy69 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Getting Sponsered

Now I'm sure this is every Speedballers dream if you're on a team or not.
But think of this, when getting sponsered there are litterly thousands of other teams, what makes them choose you? Make sure that you appeal to what they sell, and make sure that you aren't stupid about it, and start off your Emal by saying, Dude I love your products, or anything like that, that will just make them click, Delete. Be formal, and treat it like a resume. Also, make sure you have plenty of Tournament time, and have won or at least placed in the top 5 in the tournaments you've played in. Companys like winning teams.

Theres already a Sticky on that, but I thought it would be important to add a little information on the topic.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:16 PM #13
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

thanks, just added
Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 PM #14
Fizzo
Fizzowned

Hey, I'm pretty new to PB... just got my gun yesterday, and I gotta say this is really helpful. I read the whole thing word for word, and I can already tell it's gonna help me out on the field. Thanks for the post man

Feedback 14+/0-

Old 03-21-2006, 09:24 PM #15
Fizzo
Fizzowned

Oh wait, sorry I have a question: Should I be shooting like mad hopefully hitting someone off the break (like everyone does in Digital Paintball), or should I try laning off the break, or should I just try to run to my bunker as fast as possible sprinting not even looking at my opponents? I know it depends if I'm a front or backman, but for now, I'm just a rec baller. Thanks for the advice. (Laning off the break works very well in Digital Paintball )

Feedback 14+/0-

Old 03-21-2006, 09:46 PM #16
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzo
Oh wait, sorry I have a question: Should I be shooting like mad hopefully hitting someone off the break (like everyone does in Digital Paintball), or should I try laning off the break, or should I just try to run to my bunker as fast as possible sprinting not even looking at my opponents? I know it depends if I'm a front or backman, but for now, I'm just a rec baller. Thanks for the advice. (Laning off the break works very well in Digital Paintball )
there is a few variables that you need to take into consideration, one being the field setup, sometimes it is very open and sometimes it is very full and clogged, generally if you are going to a front position you just try to sprint to your bunker and let your backs give you cover, but if your going to a back bunker you should try to lane off the break if your field setup allows you to, if your in any doubt just get to your bunker, thats the most important thing, you are no help to your team if you get out off the break
Old 03-21-2006, 10:10 PM #17
Fizzo
Fizzowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta111
there is a few variables that you need to take into consideration, one being the field setup, sometimes it is very open and sometimes it is very full and clogged, generally if you are going to a front position you just try to sprint to your bunker and let your backs give you cover, but if your going to a back bunker you should try to lane off the break if your field setup allows you to, if your in any doubt just get to your bunker, thats the most important thing, you are no help to your team if you get out off the break
Sounds good, thanks

Feedback 14+/0-

Old 03-21-2006, 10:17 PM #18
swiftshooter04 (Banned)

good job, very informational. All new players will have much to learn and this just makes it easier.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:30 PM #19
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

thanks man
Old 03-22-2006, 10:41 AM #20
glaman5266

Very nice job. Looks good.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:40 PM #21
Gangsta111
Hang That Flag!

thanks
Closed Thread