Old 02-28-2006, 03:16 AM #1
MiLLz
NPPL Ground Ninja #2

MiLLz is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
MiLLz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MiLLz supports Team VICIOUS
Ref Perks

What kind of perks do you owners give to your field employees and how does that affect your business?

examples:
what % discount on paint if any?
any costs to play during inactive time at work?
any costs to play during days off?
private playing time during closed hours?
free refreshments (water vs gatorade)?

Thanks in advance
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2006, 03:23 PM #2
pbfan3068
MW

Only a 10% discount on paint BUT we get 1 bag of paint (500rds) for every full day we ref. During the bi-annual refs vs. management game, we get paint at the same price for which it is bought from our suppliers. So we get $45 a case for good stuff. Since it's indoor we get free water (there's a water fountain) and if we show that we are working hard and honestly, the manager usually tosses us an ice cold gatorade or pays our lunch given that it's not a gourmet meal. On days when it's clear that the entire staff was working extremely hard, the manager pays for a couple large cheese pizzas and a few 2 liter things of pop.

All full time refs are given free admission all week. Part-time refs pay about $5 admission but all day air, be it N2 or CO2, is included.

If things are going slow (like a sunday at 9pm) we usually clean up markers or wash the bunkers. At the end of the day when customers leave we are allowed about an hour to play with the paint we are given. The owner has no problem with that since most of us end up buying an extra 500 rounds.

My Feedback (+35/-0)
Old 02-28-2006, 04:19 PM #3
alexpaintballer

alexpaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
alexpaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
at the field i work at we get 20% of any thing the field and proshop sells. we get free entrance fee and air when we play. we get free drinks every once in a while and sometimes well get a free bag of paint but that is very seldom
Old 02-28-2006, 04:39 PM #4
LittleBudah

LittleBudah is a Supporting Member
Not to mean to hijack your thread but how do you become a ref at a field if you are 13?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 PM #5
BrettB (Banned)
Team Haze

1.Paint at $5-$10 off
2-3.Dont make them pay Entry and Air
4.Unless they express they really want to, make it when its a good time for you
5.Free water unless using Gatorade pouches(mix with water type)

In my opinion, make them go through a 5 day(work days) training period before they get paid. Then start pay at $3/hour and move up pay every time you see suiting. Stop raises at $5/hour. If you have 2 really good refs that show up every weekend from opening to closing then put them on Salary. Other than that use the First Come First Serve process unless you plan to work a schedule
Old 02-28-2006, 04:51 PM #6
k-y-l-e530

At the field i work at , you start with minimum wage. 8 hrs = 50+$ . And we get all of our paint at cost. That is like 15-20 $ off what the normal price would be . I dont pay for air either. Just water and stuff like that i buy .

1 CASE 1 KILL
Old 02-28-2006, 05:00 PM #7
mxmaniac2000
portable bunker?!?!?!

At the field that i ran for a little while heres what we did.

$5 above cost for cases of paint. pretty much cost for gear. Maybe a few bucks over depending on the item. We would just buy like 12 packs of cokes and stuff for the refs. They cost a few buch a pack. Don't be cheap, treat your refs good. We never really had "private" play time. My field closed at midnight so we were ready to get home. when midnight ran around. We would always go screw around though when there were no customers around. We never charged refs to play either. The only thing we asked was when they were playing to be NICE!! No lighting anybody up or anything like that. Also asked that they coach and help the youngsters. Like i said treat your refs really really well, and they will do the same to you.

EDIT: Our refs started at $7.50 an hour. Then they were bumped up to $9 an hour. They would all just spend their money in the shop anyways. lol.
**Nexus Team Mum Fan Club** #1
05 blue/black fade freestyle pro, black glad reg, jds std lpr, powerlyte scepter kit 5 piece, Predator board 5.0
05 blue dust Angel A4 fly, Full freak kit w/ one of a kind custom ported dye boomstick tip, Armageddon air system, ccm low rise feedneck, Check it products full dragon barrel kit, Evolve 2.0 kit
Old 02-28-2006, 05:07 PM #8
IhaveAdm4
TheTurtle Has A Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
1.Paint at $5-$10 off
2-3.Dont make them pay Entry and Air
4.Unless they express they really want to, make it when its a good time for you
5.Free water unless using Gatorade pouches(mix with water type)

In my opinion, make them go through a 5 day(work days) training period before they get paid. Then start pay at $3/hour and move up pay every time you see suiting. Stop raises at $5/hour. If you have 2 really good refs that show up every weekend from opening to closing then put them on Salary. Other than that use the First Come First Serve process unless you plan to work a schedule
Thats just plain evil

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post21016550

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
XBOX 360

FEEDBACK: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...8#post21065898
Old 02-28-2006, 05:22 PM #9
SlartyBartFast
"Snitch" rotfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhaveAdm4
Thats just plain evil
Not only is it evil, it may just be illegal in certain jurisdictions.

Unpaid "training", rock bottom pay, and pathetic perks. What a jerk.

Your staff is the most valuable asset you have. If you can't directly pay them what they're worth, you need to at least treat them like gold in other ways.

At cost paint gives them a great time and perceived compensation at no expense to the field. More paint sold might lower the price per case for the field.

I just looked. Sorry Brett, but I don't think many want to follow business advice from a 15 yr old. If you're the "assistant head ref" at 15, and those are the working conditions, it's a big reason not to follow the advice. Bad conditions equal hih turn over and young inexperienced staff.

Last edited by SlartyBartFast : 02-28-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 PM #10
JDCool

JDCool is a Supporting Member
idk what you guys are talking about...I got a good deal. I was a "regular" for a couple of months, then I started taking shifts for reffing. Eventually I came everyweekend, Saturday, 10-9, reffed the kids in the morning, played in the evening.
My duties were to give the saftey speach, clean bunkers, air up bunkers, clean guns, chrony guns.
My perks were free field fee, half price paint, free air, free drink, free gun tech help, free use of tools, and discount merchandice.

Refs don't have to be NPPL trained if you are just doing rec ball, but make sure they know what they are doing. Also, try to get people with a bit more than 6+months experience of SPEEDBALL not WOODSBALL. Speedball reffing is mentally harder.
Try this, if you want to help ur refs, tell them to work off equipment. Such as 8 hours for a new barrel, or 25 for a halo, do it like that. Be nice to your refs, they will pay you back.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:50 PM #11
Superpede1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmaniac2000

$5 above cost for cases of paint. pretty much cost for gear. Maybe a few bucks over depending on the item. We would just buy like 12 packs of cokes and stuff for the refs. They cost a few buch a pack. Don't be cheap, treat your refs good. We never really had "private" play time. My field closed at midnight so we were ready to get home. when midnight ran around. We would always go screw around though when there were no customers around. We never charged refs to play either. The only thing we asked was when they were playing to be NICE!! No lighting anybody up or anything like that. Also asked that they coach and help the youngsters. Like i said treat your refs really really well, and they will do the same to you.

EDIT: Our refs started at $7.50 an hour. Then they were bumped up to $9 an hour. They would all just spend their money in the shop anyways. lol.
You are right about them spending all the money in the shop, I know I would lol. I think you have the right idea and I certainly wish you ran the feild by my house. Most of the fields around here dont give crap and than they wonder why no one wants to ref for them.
"Originally posted by drunk misogynist: What? She only has two tits? What a rip off....."
ASM #48
Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 PM #12
Paint-it-up
Love♠Hate™

Paint-it-up owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paint-it-up supports Team VICIOUS
Paint-it-up plays in the APPA beginner division
Paint-it-up has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCool
Try this, if you want to help ur refs, tell them to work off equipment. Such as 8 hours for a new barrel, or 25 for a halo, do it like that. Be nice to your refs, they will pay you back.
I wish you were my field owner... I'd have made a *beep* load off of HALO's..

Perks from my local field
-free drinks
-free food (order out)
-ref 1 day, play one day free
-free air/c02

We dont really have tournaments (not my decision) mostly because we dont get many customers (just weekends, mostly fri, sat & sun).
All refs take the same duties all day: chrono, check for barrel bags, field ref, register, fill air ect.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:14 AM #13
ibunkerfulz
shaggin in the doritos

Perks @ my field (where i've worked since i could)
-Free Field Fee
-paint @ -$2 per hundred or a variation on bulk buying
-4 "Rations" (food or drink--bottled H2O is totally free) free during the work day
-Discounted pro-shop prices (i'm not sure how much)
-free air
-We have "in-store credit" if needed, meaning if we want to buy sumthin but don't have the cash on hand we can work it off automatically losing part of our check to the gear (varies from person to person)
-Pay Advances

RIP Cole "Crash" Martin
Old 03-01-2006, 03:09 AM #14
Patleeman2
Breakout PBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmaniac2000

Definately the thing to do. I totally agree that if you treat your refs well, they will treat the customers well, and in turn bring back customers. Also the way the manager or person in charge acts has a big impact on morale and such. You definately need to take care of your guys. Otherwise your field will end up as a dump.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 AM #15
italian3345

I ref speedball sundays at my field and i get

free entry
discounts in proshops
free air
free water and pizza
and my choice of 1000 paintballs or a 20-30$ discount on anything in the shop.

I think its great
Old 03-01-2006, 06:10 AM #16
Snakeman007

What other busness gives the staff stuff for cost or free?

Six flags? Disney ? Mc Donalds? all nope

3.00 and hr? how do you get away with that?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:15 AM #17
TheArk
Genuine Killing Machine

at the field i ref at we get pretty good deals, 5 off rec level paint and so on for better stuff, free drinks, free field fee, and we can get paid in paint or cash, i usually take a little of both

18 old + 15 new = 33 reasons to
~>TRUST ME<~

Old 03-01-2006, 05:59 PM #18
BrettB (Banned)
Team Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlartyBartFast
Not only is it evil, it may just be illegal in certain jurisdictions.

Unpaid "training", rock bottom pay, and pathetic perks. What a jerk.

Your staff is the most valuable asset you have. If you can't directly pay them what they're worth, you need to at least treat them like gold in other ways.

At cost paint gives them a great time and perceived compensation at no expense to the field. More paint sold might lower the price per case for the field.

I just looked. Sorry Brett, but I don't think many want to follow business advice from a 15 yr old. If you're the "assistant head ref" at 15, and those are the working conditions, it's a big reason not to follow the advice. Bad conditions equal hih turn over and young inexperienced staff.
I was meaning if they were underage for most of it. I know alot of fields around me only have 15 yr old refs. And as to the Assistant Head Ref thing, I've been around paintball since I was 10, have reffed 2 events, and have compliments all the time. Those arent the necessary working conditions but only for 15-under refs that work there cuz the owner feels sorry for them.

My field for 16-over Refs:
1.Paint at $10 off + team discount(equals close to what he gets it for)
2-3.Dont have to pay Entry and Air
4.We are open Tuesday-Sunday soooooo
5.Free water, snacks,and sometimes Jones
Pay-Starts at minimum wage, raises based on work you do. I'm currently making around $5.50/hour but I'm special. Also we are enforcing a mandatory tip of 10% of cost for birthday parties, and mandatory tip of groups over 10.

[6th_grade]Keep my field outta this and I'll keep this outta your mom[/6th_grade]
Old 03-01-2006, 06:12 PM #19
RosstaFade
well alright then..

At my field the refs consist of our 4 teams who are sponsered by that field.
for tournaments us refs get donuts and all beverages for free
we ref and in reward we get our sopnsorship we usually get a case off draxxus for around 20-35$ and we always play for free and get air for free we aren't payed but it is worth it with all the benefits o yeah we get discounts on all gear in shop (which is all national gear so anything national makes)
Old 03-01-2006, 08:59 PM #20
daveFusion

The field that i own we give all Ref staff
1. Paint for Cost
2. Free Air and free admission.
And pay more then minumal wage since they are taken a few good hits
Old 03-01-2006, 10:10 PM #21
paintball2
I Kill for Darkside

paintball2 is a Supporting Member
I've always been gauranteed to have no field or air fee as a ref.

The first year I reffed, 1 case of paint for every 8 hrs of work, or $25 store credit for same time.

The second year, same field, new owner, reduced price on paint, and varying discounts on products.

The third year, about the same as the previous year, but not as much access to other products besides paint.