Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-25-2006, 08:53 AM #1
pballkm21
Arena Wired

pballkm21 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Empire E-Vents Review #2

First of all I would like to start off saying this is my second review, so please keep that in mind…

Before I bought this mask I was wearing flex 8s, profilers and proflexs…

Here is the review I made a while back when I first got my Pre Production E-Vents
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1318371

Now here is an updated review…

At first glance these goggles are dead sexy. They come in a clear display case type box, which is really nice to keep your goggles in. Originally this box was more of a smoke color when they were first released but changed to clear on the production models. As soon as you take the cover off you see your amazing new goggles and some extra goodies. With these goggles you get an additional clear lens which comes in a nice micro fiber bag and a nice goggle bag, but isn’t thermal like the smoke lens is. You also get a micro fiber mask bag. This is perfect for cleaning your lenses. Then you get a visor and a brow shield that attach securely into the mask and finally a manual which tells you how to get the lenses out.

The mask looks very nice with large lenses and soft ears. The first thing you notice about this mask is the large lens, it’s HUGE. The stock lens is a dark smoke and you can barely see your eyes, dark enough so you can see eyes but not where there looking. This lens is thermal. Then comes the soft ears… Originally these soft ears were much bigger and had a slot were you would plug in your visor. On the production model there is now more goggle and less soft ear. The visor now plugs into the goggle itself. Also originally the soft ears were held on by zip ties. This could dig into you and hurt sometimes. Now there are little button type things that are 10x better. You also get little clips on the soft ears to keep them from rotating. These are great! If anyone carries there mask on there head your soft ears will no longer rise up on you but stay where they are. When you look to the inside of the goggle you see the air dissipaters?. These are little three pronged foam pieces that help with fogging. They are totally changed from the original as well.

After putting these goggles on……DAMN. These things are amazing. They almost form fit to your face. They have a very low profile, even smaller than the flex 8s (which I used to have before this). I have a very small face so this isn’t a problem for me but for bigger people the sides of the mask might be a problem. I let my fat (don’t kill me) teammate try it on and his cheeks and chin is sticking out, which could be painful. The mask is very small exposing your ear lobes and the sides of your cheek, but only from the side. You cannot see your cheeks from the front. The mask is very flexible. The front barely flexible at all but the sides are very flexible. Not as much as a proflex but still very soft. Surprisingly I have gotten bounces both off the front of the mask and amazingly the lens! This has actually happened not once but many times.

The lens is very easy to change. All you do is rotate the ears themselves up and then pop of the Empire logo on the side. The lens then takes little force to take out. One nice thing about the lens is that the lens fits snuggly and easily into one little slot under part of the nosepiece making it very easy to put in and take out the lens. In other goggles *cough *profiler*cough* there are many little slots that can become a hassle after you put the lens in and realize you missed one of them.

One of the best things about this mask is the lenses themselves. You get a Smoke thermal and a clear single lens. Immediately I though I would never use the single lens because it’s single lol. But I play indoor a lot so the smoke works but I would rather be able to see clearer. So I put on the clear lens…..wow the thing doesn’t fog and is just as nice as the thermal. These lenses are huge. They rap around most of the goggle. They have a very nice field of view and are extremely clear. These lenses are the best I’ve ever looked through. They are also probably the biggest.

I would also like to say that I got (from Simon Stevens) the VERY FIRST PRODUCTION WHITE E-VENTS and as you can see were signed by Simon by the air dissipaters.

Overall I would rate this mask a 9.9 out of 10, because no mask is perfect but this comes very very very close. They really did an amazing job with this mask

Last edited by pballkm21 : 02-25-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2006, 11:41 AM #2
Prea

goood review.....just 3 questions: does the foam around ur eyes go all the way around?, or is it just a bottome line of foam, and a top line of foam?.....how does the foam compare to the other goggles uve had?.....and when u breathe, can u feel ur breath (like u can with the profiler)?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:25 PM #3
pballkm21
Arena Wired

the foam is only top and bottom...the foam is similar to jt masks..and when you breath you can feel the air just go right through the mask...im breathing as hard as i can right now and the mask isnt fogging at all...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:27 PM #4
PaintEater#1
A-UNIT

PaintEater#1 is playing at Living Legends VII
PaintEater#1 plays in the APPA D5 division
oh ok

and what about sound? can you comunicate with your team mates like if it was a proto?(for me the protos make your voice louder)
Old 02-25-2006, 01:28 PM #5
pballkm21
Arena Wired

yeah it seems that my voice is louder...
Old 02-25-2006, 08:53 PM #6
PaintEater#1
A-UNIT

PaintEater#1 is playing at Living Legends VII
PaintEater#1 plays in the APPA D5 division
ok thanks pballkm
Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM #7
manike
WWW.SIMONIZED.COM

manike is a Mega Moderator
manike is a Supporting Member
manike works for a Paintball manufacturer
manike supports Bob Gurnsey
manike supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prea
goood review.....just 3 questions: does the foam around ur eyes go all the way around?, or is it just a bottome line of foam, and a top line of foam?.....how does the foam compare to the other goggles uve had?.....and when u breathe, can u feel ur breath (like u can with the profiler)?
The foam is at the top and bottom only for two reasons:-

1) To make them comfortable for people wearing glasses. These cut out areas prevents any side pressure of the glasses arms that pushes them into people's heads.

2) Air flow.

We tested several different goggle shapes in this area, and many styles of foam (one piece that went all the way around, die cut, 3D molded, etc...) and people said this was the most comfortable. Especially glasses wearers. Up until relatively recently I wore glasses and I know how tought that can be with some goggles, so I took it into account when designing these.

p.s. Thanks for the review Kevin.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:43 PM #8
pballkm21
Arena Wired

Anytime Simon, I really appreciate everything you have done for me. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM #9
Lemons_117
Carniverous

does the plastic underneth the lens bend inward because i meet yosh on the naughty dogs and that was his biggest complate with them becuase he got shot in that area and the paint and shells felw into his eye.

thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 07:14 PM #10
pballkm21
Arena Wired

im not sure what part of the mask your talking about...which part under the lens?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:14 PM #11
Prea

that seems like shens....because the lens goes into the goggle, which should prevent it from pushing in, and from paint getting in between the lense and goggle
Old 02-27-2006, 07:18 PM #12
jonnystapes

do the soft ears cover the whole ear while wearing? some pics it seems as though it doesnt.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:28 PM #13
Prea

it doesnt cover ur earlobe very well, and part of ur jaw(not me)

Last edited by Prea : 02-27-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:55 PM #14
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
How's the wieght compare to other goggles.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:59 PM #15
Lemons_117
Carniverous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballkm21
im not sure what part of the mask your talking about...which part under the lens?
right under the lens
Old 02-27-2006, 07:59 PM #16
Prea

manike posted the weight somewhere before, but i dont know where it is....but i think the events are a little heavier than the profiler, but lighter than the proflex.....but they feel lighter than the profiler since they are closer to ur face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons_117
right under the lens
the nose?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:09 PM #17
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prea
manike posted the weight somewhere before, but i dont know where it is....but i think the events are a little heavier than the profiler, but lighter than the proflex.....but they feel lighter than the profiler since they are closer to ur face

the nose?
perhaps you got mixed up, but the Pro Flex is most definitly lighter than the Profiler so that doesn't make sense.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:33 PM #18
Prea

yea, i probably got it mixed up
Old 02-27-2006, 08:34 PM #19
Lemons_117
Carniverous

under where your eyes would be
Old 02-28-2006, 02:24 AM #20
pmigrim
I'm dead for a reason

wow theres a big change on the profilers ears if you look closely enough compared to the blue ones. now i want a pair of events instead of avitars.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 AM #21
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
Show a picture of you wearing your production model from the side like that blue one.. since its different.

edit - please

Last edited by Person : 02-28-2006 at 11:34 AM.