PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-05-2003, 11:23 PM #64
trapshooter

has been a member for 10 years
Back to that Y barrel, how would you attach it to the gun? You wouldn't be able to screw it in, because the two barrels are connected, so you wouldn't be able to turn them independently. For the sideways arc issue, a flatline makes the balls fly flat, right? so if you turned a flat trajectory sideways, then it would be a straight lie, right? Also, the flatline has only one, gradual curve, while this would have to have 2- going towards where the barrels connect and then straightening back out. This is going to be one funny looking barrel when you get done. I was also thinking that to make it you could connect 2 flatlines. Might be kinda pricy, but its worth a shot!
University of Nebraska Lincoln #7
For Sale:
Black to Blue PM5 w/ Tadao
V35 Halo w/ Bone Pack and extras
WGP 70/4500
NIB VForce Profiler
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post48012987
Old 06-06-2003, 07:51 AM #65
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Attaching the Y barrel would be easy. Instead of thread, you use a old bushmaster-style lock system

BUT, the flatline would not correct the spin. It would make it worse. In fact, it would probobly be corkscrewing when it comes out.

Plus, you will have terrible effeciency. After the paintball passes the middle of the "Y", the pressure will be diverted to the other end, and the FPS will start to decrease.

So, if you combine the fact that it would shoot terrible, with the fact that its still a multi-barrelled gun, it doesnt seem feasible.
IF a tournament would make an exception for the Y barrel, a much better design would be to have a dual-cocker with short 3" barrels that are connected to -1- huge tube (it would look like a silencer). The paintballs would never touch the large tube, but technically it would be considered -1- barrel, without all the spin problems associated with the Y design..

-Nick
Old 06-16-2003, 05:22 AM #66
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

A Y-barrel's near impossible, but some of you guys are getting eerily close.

Doc.
Confusing the hell out of nonplayers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday since 2002.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:43 AM #67
KGBbonecrusher

you guys are seriously crazy beyond anything i could imagine.

oh, and that gun would be so badass i would crap my pants in a heartbeat...
Old 08-05-2003, 04:42 PM #68
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Here is how a tourny-legal dual-barrelled cocker could be built:

I was bored enough at work to make an animated GIF:

Click for Animater GIF (large)

Nick
Old 08-06-2003, 12:16 PM #69
jballer
timmma

well if you make it a double barreled gun, you could make your own type of slider where you would have 2 different pulls. one could be back, and one would be a push forward shot (meaning like you would shoot the gun by pushing a custom trigger forward.) that way, you could use 2x pneumatics. I may just be dreaming.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 PM #70
God23
we are the FORSAKEN

Quote:
Originally posted by hp_lovecraft
Here is how a tourny-legal dual-barrelled cocker could be built:

I was bored enough at work to make an animated GIF:

Click for Animater GIF (large)

Nick
Don't get me wrong, but isn't there only one barrel in that animation.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:23 PM #71
ShootinBallsWithBall
*Look Deep Down Inside*

hey, did u finsish this thing yet?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:49 PM #72
Cocker777

For real, i wanna see some pictures of your progress.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:25 PM #73
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Quote:
Originally posted by God23
Don't get me wrong, but isn't there only one barrel in that animation.
Yes, technically.
A true-dual barreled gun would not be tournament legal, so this would be a way to double the BPS with a single barrel, but 2 feeders.

I'm half-way through completing a project using this system, but I had problems connecting the hammer to the bolt using mechanical linkage. I could do it easily with a noid, but that would need a custom board.....

Nick
Old 08-07-2003, 07:44 PM #74
notcockershooter2k3
~~734~~

the GIf thanks to hp shows all you really need is to drill and tap a hole where the air is to move a ram like deal to move the barrel back and fourth but it would have to be a hella smooth sliding system to be accurate or just spray and pray i mean you will have 2 hoppers

insert evil laugh

$hane-O-Mac

My Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432504
Old 08-07-2003, 07:45 PM #75
notcockershooter2k3
~~734~~

or you could have 2 rams one pushing and pulling
and you might need a air resivor or air chamber or you could use 2 air systems

$hane-O-Mac

My Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432504
Old 08-09-2003, 05:07 AM #76
maskedpenisfromvenus

maskedpenisfromvenus is a Supporting Member
haven't read anything after hp's gif animation. but it seems feasible, and to make the slide work, have a spring on one side, and a nice big clippard ram on the other.

again, after hp's animation, i didn't read, sorry if someone already mentioned this.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:51 AM #77
paintboy383
Drive fast, drive crazy

i have ideas

ok, about this "Y" barrel thing, it's got a big problem. now i'm no expert (actually quite the noob) to paintball, the paint will break on most, if not every shot, & here's why: say you're firing out of the left gun. the paintball goes down the barrel and follows the barrel right. it would then need to turn left to go straight. but when the 2 barrels meet as it turns left, the ball would temporarily lose contact with the barrel. it is impossible for the barrels to meet and still have a needed curve at the intersection to "cushion" the ball as it's re-directed. it would brake. you need a curve, you can't just let it hit an angled piece of metal after loosing contact with the barrel. it'd be like having a really short barrel and shooting an aluminum slab at an angle it would break (even if the aluminum was polished, like a barrel). it may be possible if you have a piece of ULTRA lightwieght material, and you set it up on a hinge (the hinge being where the 2 barrels meet) so that the air trying to escape from in front of the propelled paintball would swing the thing (i don't know the technical term, but in my opinion "thing" is the universal technical term) so that it would act as a temporary curve in the barrel (like a railroad track switch that allows 2 tracks to be joined). then on the next shot the other gun would fire and that paintballs shockwave would move the thing to the other side. i hope i made sense.

ok, now onto the reciprocating idea (BTW, i think it can be done mechanically w/out too much dificulty. i know alot of you have abandoned this idea, but i still like it) i don't know anything about cockers, so i'm going to use a tippy 98c as an example and maybe there's a cocker version or something you could do. i know in a tippmann 98c, you can get a response trigger. unless i'm mistaken, it automaticaly resets after every shot. now, you could use either this or some cocker version (if there is such a thing), or some home brew version. i'm gonna try & explain the parts, how they move, & the opperation. the trigger is a linear pull, not hinged or anything. it would move along a milled out track like groove, and would pull the pivot in the middle of the bar back, thus pulling the bar back (with the pivot attatched to the trigger). then the bar would be pulled back against the response triggers. there would be 2 springs, a lighter on the right and heavier spring on the left side (could be reversed). this would make it so that the right gun's response trigger would fire first (you'd have to tinker with the different spring tensions to find the right balance). then your finger would be holding the trigger back as far as it could go, following a track (the track would limit the distance, you would have to again tinker to find just the right distance). then, after the right one fires, it would reset itself and the pressure on the bar from the right reseting would trigger the left (that's why you have to tinker, because if the trigger didn't move the pivot point back far enough, the other one wouldn't fire. the ideal would be to put the pivot so that the bar would trigger one cylinder just before or as the other is reset). then you have a chain reaction as long as you hold the trigger back, so essentially you'd have a full auto reciprocating double barreled paintball gun. now i'm not claiming to KNOW this will work, but i think it will. keep in mind the picture will be a VERY rough sketch if i can get it to work at all (how do i post a .bmp picture? i made it in paint in about 3 or 4 minutes, any help appreciated, it makes my babbling actually make sense). if you can think of any improvements, let me know. if i'm horribly wrong, sorry. i hope you guys can understand by babbling, any questions pm or im me (monkeyboy383) or just post here. thanks and sorry for the length.

Ps. i can't spell
what i got: e-99 avant, cp chrome reg, 48 3k pe, 12" sp teardrop, egg II, 32* flame drop & bottomline, shocktech feedneck, shocktech trigger, converted to top cocking, polished bolt & internals (& lightened since half my bolt is gone), spring kit...
what i need: sanity and alot more money...

"Drive fast, drive crazy, but drive wherever you wanna go"
Old 08-17-2003, 01:43 AM #78
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

You should have read my original post more closely. The first stage of both the left and right sections of the "Y" barrel are not straight angled pieces that meet together at the middle, but more like two miniature flatline barrels. Perhaps a Y is a bad example of the shape. Think more in the direction of a wishbone (with the two curves being concave inward), or better yet a dual exhaust pipe on a car. Now, as a ball is fired in this barrel, it is immediately given a massive forward velocity, like in any paintgun, and like in a Tippmann Flatline, begins to assume a very slight rotational force as well. At the junction point, where the "interior" wall of each barrel side begins to end, there would follow a good 3 or 4 inches of oval shaped mid-barrel where the paintball is only making contact with the top and bottom sides of the barrel. It will have already been given a left or right spin by its time in the curved sections, and now that slight leftward or rightward velocity will be just enough to bring it into orientation with the midline of the gun. It will be making contact with the opposing "wall" of the barrel very gradualy, especially compared to its forward velocity, not nearly with enough momentum to cause a break. Also, keep in mind that, as with the Flatline, the direction of the spin of the left barrel (looking DOWN at the top of the gun) would be clockwise, and counter clockwise for the right. This means that as each paintball nears the opposing wall during the "centering" it will be spinning in the CORRECT direction to lessen the friction and impact energy of its movement. For an example, think of the tires on a rally car moving forward as it lands after a jump. If the driver had suddenly put the car into reverse in midair and had the tires spinning the wrong way, they would shred themselves on the landing.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:41 AM #79
paintboy383
Drive fast, drive crazy

i think i see what you're saying. but even with the spin (which i'll get into in a little further down), you would have to have the 2 barrels meet at a very shallow angle. i may be wrong about this, but when say the left gun fires, it goes through the right curved barrel & the ball gets a counter clockwise spin (ok, i may be a little confused about this, so if i'm wrong ignore most of the rest of the post, but when a paintball (or any sphere) hits a curve, it will spin in the opposite direction of the curve (a clockwise or right curve will give the ball a counterclockwise or left curve). so if you have a barrel that's curved to the right, the ball will spin counterclockwise because friction will grab the ball and make it spin towords the surface it's contacting (in this case the outside of the curved barrel), essentially rolling along the curve. i thought in a flatline there was a friction strip somewhere on the top inner part of the barrel to give it backspin, because i'd think the curve of the barrel would give it front spin or whatever term is the opposite of backspin). now if the paintball spun enough to hug the side of the intersection that curves, not the side that gaps (which i don't think it could, and if so i think the ball would curve alot more than would be practical once it leaves the barrel), it would be the right direction. but, if it contacts the right side of the barrel at the intersection instead of hugging the left side (which i think is more likely. again, i'm still using the example of the left gun firing), it would be just like a rally car throwing it in reverse and shredding the tires. i could be wrong, but i've been sitting here thinking this through again & again. don't get me wrong though, i love the "Y" or wishbone barrel idea (i think it would look pretty bad @** )
what i got: e-99 avant, cp chrome reg, 48 3k pe, 12" sp teardrop, egg II, 32* flame drop & bottomline, shocktech feedneck, shocktech trigger, converted to top cocking, polished bolt & internals (& lightened since half my bolt is gone), spring kit...
what i need: sanity and alot more money...

"Drive fast, drive crazy, but drive wherever you wanna go"
Old 08-17-2003, 09:13 AM #80
Movie Guy

Did someone say double barrel Autococker?

Mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm good.

MG
Old 08-17-2003, 03:59 PM #81
úLB
Shamefully Since 2003

úLB is a Supporting Member
craziness! make a video.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:26 AM #82
mbro
POO

man movie guy, you beat me too it
Old 08-19-2003, 10:41 PM #83
DooksDooks

pics dont work, repost or death
Old 08-19-2003, 10:47 PM #84
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

The pictures do work, and have been working for the last couple of days, but Doc's site was shut down sometime this afternoon. Seems he forgot to pay his ISP... again. Give it a day or two and they should be back up.