Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-10-2006, 11:29 AM #22
agentblake

im sorry if i may seem ignorant but there is one thing i still dont understand. please read and try to understand what im trying to say..

i am using proto matrix 05 as an example...

now... y is it that most pro-shops r charging 700 or 650 at the least for it while in some places u can get one for 500?

so does the proshop really make 150$ per sale?
i jus never understood that.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2006, 12:59 PM #23
EZ Air

Perhaps the pro shop paid $689 for it before the price went down when the new ones came out. Now he is trying to sell it for a $29 dollar loss instead of a $289 dollar loss. I wish him well but that is the nature of this business. If you want a good idea of wholesale price, go to action village and subtract $20 to the price. On a few items, add $20. Like some of the guys have stated, the money is in the parts and paint + Air. Full retail on a spyder is $20 over cost. You also have to pay shipping and fix the guns, so no incentive to sell their product.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:32 PM #24
agentblake

In that case..

in that case, i apoligize to all pro shop owners in saying something really stupid. i never realized the profits were tht little.

i bet, however, the companies themselves, be it dye, sp, or kingman, make a big profit!

using the nerve as an example... i bought it for 800 thinking i was getting a big price cut... (it had just gone down from 1000).... now they r like 450..

that must mean the nerve costs less than 450 to produce.... but i understand now... the proshops probably got it for like 780 when they were 800.

i thought of it wrong.. i thought the proshops got it for 400 all this time and sold it at 800 to us...

on another note, this means pro-shops run a huge risk selling high end guns... if an owner had bought a nerve for 780 lets say... and marked it down for 800.... and it wasnt sold until... the price dropped to 450... arent they screwed?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:56 AM #25
Minnesota111

has been a member for 10 years
Yeah, the shop owner is very screwed. I have quit carrying anything that retails for over $300 for that reason. Keep in mind that when it comes to manufacturing, they may be able to make them for $300 each, but the first one may cost several million dollars to produce.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:32 PM #26
Fiszaj
Euroballer

Fiszaj is a Supporting Member
You keep forgetting, that the cost of a marker comprises of more than just the cost of material plus salary of the worker manufacturing.

You have to design a marker - that costs money because you need a skilled engineer, software and hardware. Then you have to make a prototype, or two... At that point you might have to go back to the drawing board and fix some problems that you noticed while testing the prototype. Setting up production costs money: need to choose where to buy materials, you have to cover the cost of tools and the setup of these. Tools and machines wear out, so you have to replace them, you have to pay the workers that make the gun.

After that all you have to do is market it -this costs big bucks - give out sponsored gear, pay for adverts, attend expos and tournaments (buying a big truck), sponsor some players with money...

Not to mention that the gun has a warranty, so repairing it costs money, so it cannot be left out.

There are also things that don't have a lot to do with the production of the gun - you need an office, you have workers - accountants, managers, designers, cleaners, assistants, desk clerk...

And last, making a gun is not charity work... you do it for money so you add up a bit so you can actually profit...