PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-17-2006, 08:23 PM #1
Viper18
Just Enjoy It.

carpet/turf ques.??

what is the best thing to use that is easy to maintain and lasts a while but does not cost a lot of money. (carpet/turf wise)

thanks

Last edited by Viper18 : 02-17-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2006, 10:49 AM #2
Peter S Frentzen
Redz Infamy

Are you referring to indoor or outdoor. I can give you my opinion if you are referring to indoor but have not yet done anything outdoor.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:14 PM #3
Viper18
Just Enjoy It.

indoor......i need something that lasts isnt too expensive and isnt a pain to clean to cover a 100x100 xball field.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:19 PM #4
Cash Money Allstar
East Side Resider

has been a member for 10 years
Cash Money Allstar plays in the APPA D4 division
we just installed astro turf at my field. it was a lot of work to install and its a little time consuming to maintain but COMPLETELY worth it.

Allen Booth/WF Marines - RIP
Columbus State University - Alumni

October 2011 "Angel of the Month" - 2006 Angel GAT
Old 02-23-2006, 01:42 AM #5
Viper18
Just Enjoy It.

how much did it cost you and how big is your field...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:46 AM #6
Cash Money Allstar
East Side Resider

its about 125 feet long and about 100 feet wide. we got the turf on sale for around $5000 then we had to buy the rubber pellets. that was a couple more grand.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 AM #7
mex
Field Owner

how do you anchor the bunkers?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:42 AM #8
Peter S Frentzen
Redz Infamy

We used a heavy grade indoor/outdoor carpet for our field. We used the outdoor, waterproof glue to put it down. If you leave it alone for a few days, it is solid as can be. As for cleaning, we have learned via trial and error. If you use a steam cleaner type device, MAKE SURE that all of the water is sucked out. We had an issue with the young employees doing the cleaning and they left more water in the surface than they sucked back out. Once that problem was corrected, we had no problems whatsoever. It has been down now for over 1 1/2 years without a problem. Bunkers are held down by being tied to sand bags, this method also makes it quite easy to move them for cleaning of the surface as well as the bunkers. It is not too costly to purchase or install, actually, we did the installation ourselves.
Best of luck
Old 02-23-2006, 09:37 AM #9
Cash Money Allstar
East Side Resider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex
how do you anchor the bunkers?
put water in the bottom, then fill the rest with air. this is how philly does it at their field. its so useful because we can change the field in the middle of a practice with ease. we have done this before also.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:39 AM #10
Cash Money Allstar
East Side Resider

i forgot to mention cleanup after play sucks. we sweep the entire field, then once a month we hose it down. if u dont have drainage in the place u plan to do it, it will get really expensive to maintain.

the warehouse we have the field has a drain down the middle, and the turf has little holes in it everywhere. we hose it down and turn the fans on to let it dry. after about 2 months the turf still looks brand new like the day we installed it.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM #11
Z@Moneypaintball (Banned)
The Original BSRFH

Water is not a good idea, use sand instead. Overtime the water will form mildew and rot away at the insides of the bunkers. Sand is a much easier option (if you don't move your bunkers around alot), other options are to cut the turf and anchor the bunkers by using zip-ties to go under the turf and to the other bungie.

But when all else fails, take a 10-20lb disc weight and put to large zip ties thru the center of it, then attach a carabeener to the zip ties and the bungie cord. Slide the weight under the bunker and your set.

If you need an inexpensive turf shoot me a PM or give me a call and I can set you up with my guy over at astroturf, hes been doing some good deals lately and keeping his prices well under 2.00 a sq ft. So if your in need I can get you set up with him.

And Cash, what brand of turf did you use? Atomix? or Mav? Just wondering which one you used for 2.50 a sq ft.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:25 PM #12
Viper18
Just Enjoy It.

do you think a 100x100 xball field is a good size for indoor..and thanks alot for your help guys i apprieciate it
Old 02-24-2006, 10:51 AM #13
Cash Money Allstar
East Side Resider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z@Moneypaintball
Water is not a good idea, use sand instead. Overtime the water will form mildew and rot away at the insides of the bunkers. Sand is a much easier option (if you don't move your bunkers around alot), other options are to cut the turf and anchor the bunkers by using zip-ties to go under the turf and to the other bungie.

But when all else fails, take a 10-20lb disc weight and put to large zip ties thru the center of it, then attach a carabeener to the zip ties and the bungie cord. Slide the weight under the bunker and your set.

If you need an inexpensive turf shoot me a PM or give me a call and I can set you up with my guy over at astroturf, hes been doing some good deals lately and keeping his prices well under 2.00 a sq ft. So if your in need I can get you set up with him.

And Cash, what brand of turf did you use? Atomix? or Mav? Just wondering which one you used for 2.50 a sq ft.

we use the same chemical u put into water beds to prevent them from having mildew on the inside. im not sure on the brand we bought. i am not the owner just an employee and team member. we have a pic up at www.wildfirepaintball.com click on the snellville button at the top and we have a pic there.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:22 AM #14
SlartyBartFast
"Snitch" rotfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Money Allstar
we use the same chemical u put into water beds to prevent them from having mildew on the inside.
Great idea.

Personally, I've wondered why not design the bunkers to have water inside. The addition of a hose fitting and check valve would allow users to inflate the bunker, move it into position, then fill with water to anchor.

A drain attachement could then be screwed in to drain them.

Note: this is exactly how the drains on self-supporting pools work.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:03 PM #15
bunkererr

mav turf

this is a new turf on the market designed especially for paintball. It is used at a feild in canada (in zurich right near london, ontario) called Maverick paintball (thus MAV turf). it has a special drainage system n all. heres a link. http://www.maverickpaintball.com/fieldproducts.php you have to call them for a quote. but Iv played on this stuff and its amaizing. sooo nice to slide on and you can clean the feild just by sparying it down. i helped with the clean up it took like half an hour to have the feild completely spotless.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 AM #16
ambassador
Did you learn to love?

ambassador is a Supporting Member
ambassador has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ambassador has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
thick turf makes it hard to collect reballs dispite our nifty inventions...stick with outdoor carpet. the balls roll nicely on that making it easy to collect them.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:17 AM #17
nb baller
$Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
thick turf makes it hard to collect reballs dispite our nifty inventions...stick with outdoor carpet. the balls roll nicely on that making it easy to collect them.
why would you be using reballs on a airball field???? now that's just stupid
Old 05-30-2006, 01:49 AM #18
house_of_pain

not sure how the relative expense is in the US, but out here in OZ rubber-backed indoor/outdoor is a fair bit cheaper than astro turf. Thinner grade carpet is the best, easier to maintain and clean. Our indoor airfield has been up for nearly 12 months, haven't had to replace the carpet yet. We use a kind of a mini street sweeper to pick up paint debris. gets full balls plus most of the shells. We only need to hose it out every 3 months or so. Biggest problem we had was with tension of netting and corners of netting. Started a little tight, had more breakages and more mess, started to lift the carpet at either end. Also your corners are likely to get more paint than your tapelines so bring the netting in a little if possible and in an arc rather than a corner: and drape it loosely; makes cleaning easier
Old 05-30-2006, 07:19 AM #19
fireisland
-NJJ-

fireisland plays in the PSP
fireisland posts videos on PbNation
fireisland plays in the APPA D1 division
fireisland is Legendary
Quote:
why would you be using reballs on a airball field???? now that's just stupid
ur a moron
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4078045

KONG-KER MEDIA
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsZpnwjGILIqoV6531cZOsg
Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 PM #20
crazyman3737
I will eat your heart

At our field we went super cheap by goin dumpster diving and luckily there was a hotel being remodled and we just took huge pieces of carpet out of the dumpster lol

"Originally posted by liquidrider:
invest in braces before a new gun"

ST:A We use unemployment checks to put new motors in our corvettes.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:39 PM #21
debo08080

ejam has atomix, ITS AMAZING