Thought I would finally rebuild one of my Dets. This is the one from my red OMEN. It's about 2.5 years old and has never been apart. Figured since people seem to be having Det issues lately, I would take pictures and maybe help the timid tackle this easy chore. The rebuild kits can be gotten from EVIL if you can wait a few weeks, or from Boss if you need them now.
1. The Detonator
2. Det rebuild kit
3. 3/32 Allen to loosen the collar. Unscrew the collar only untill the inner retaining screw is visible.
4. Use 5/64 Allen on inner retaining screw. Then unscrew collar and lower assembly all the way off.
5. Should look like this.
6. Snap ring holding piston and spring in upper housing.
7. You will need a pair of snap ring plyers to take out the ring and then the piston assembly. Use .047 or smaller tips on snap ring plyers.
8. Remove snap ring being careful not to twist it as you will re-use it.
9. Push piston out from bottom with the eraser end of a pencil. Tap housing upside down and spring will come out.
10. Lube (Puss) generously on spring. Replace upper oringo n piston with the second largest white oring. Lube oring as well.
11. Replace spring and piston from top of Det. replace snap ring using plyers again. Change oring on top section of outer body. Largest white oring this time. Lube oring with Puss.
12. Top is done, now on to the bottom half.
13. Unscrew the seal retainer from the inner tube and lower housing BY HAND!! Do not use any tools on this. If it's stuck, use soft nosed plyers, the ones with a rubber coating on them.
14. Turn seal retainer upside down and tap gently on desk to get thrust element out. Valve seat may be stuck on it if well worn. Throw old seat away. (Clear rubber disk)
15. Remove old seat from inner tube and throw away. Use a dental pick to remove black oring half way down inner tube. Replace with new , well lubed, black oring. Make sure new black oring rolls all the way down untill it fits into it's groove. If the seal retainer does not go back on later, this oring was not seated low enough. Then put new valve seat in. Lube the valve seat lightly. In fact I use a drop of oil on it instead of lube. Too much lube and it will stick to the thrust bushing and cause the DET to not work right.
16. Use dental pic again or end of a small allen to remove small white oring from inside top of seal retainer. replace with well lubed small white oring. use pencil eraser to puch it in place. the lube the thrust bushing and replace it into seal retainer with the cross pattern facing down towards the valve seat. The put a good bit of lube on the threads of the seal retainer, to help seal on the black oring on the inner tube when put back together.
17. Screw seal retainer back onto inner tube of lower housing untill hand tight. Very tight, but only by hand. I find putting them together upside down, screwing the lower housing onto the seal retainer helps keep the small oring and thrust bushing in the right place and right direction.
18. Screw to halfs of detonator
together using the outer collar. Look at the empty screw hole left by the inner screw. When you see the flange end of the seal retainer pass the hole, put in the screw. It must just pass the hole, no more. Also THIS IS IMPORTANT! Do not screw the retaining screw all the way in. It should only be in just barely enough to allow the outer collar to spin freely. To much and it will bind the valve and lower swivel. too little and it will bind the outer adjustment collar. This is what you should see when the flange is passing through the whole.
19. Once you're comfortable with putting the retainer screw in, take it back out and put the smallest tab of blue locktite on it. the put it back in as before making sure outer collar spins freely and lower swivel moves easily. Blue locktite is not as strong as the red EVIL uses, which will make the next time easier. The blue will still hold just fine.
20. Now cycle the DET all the way open and closed a couple times. the close it all the way and back it out 2.5 turns. now insert and lock down outer coller set screw. You will be at a good point to start the chrono process at the field.