Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-28-2006, 09:02 PM #1
bronc.v2 (Banned)

Simple VLocity mod that works - faster speed and save batteries!

Ok, i tried to mod the VLocity once already so it would work on mode 1 or mode 2. I wanted it to be able to work as good as a Halo on the lower modes, so in turn it wouldn't eat batteries like crazy.

My first mod: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1372202

That mod too a bit of sanding and some other tweaking, but this one requires much less work.

First off you need a phillips head screw driver, to take the cone off. You'll need 2 grub screws, some lube (I used Matrix lube), and pointed awl and a new spring. The spring is model C-1, it's a 3/16"x1-7/8" spring made by Century Spring Corp. You can get them at ACE Hardware, where I got mine at. They run like $2.00 for a pack of 3 or something. You also need 1-2 washers to space the top cone with. I used 2 old ones from an Angel reg.

What we're basically going to do with this mod is replace the stiff outter spring with a much less stiff and much smaller inner spring. It acts like a spring packed cone would, like in my last mod or in a Halo. I did A LOT of testing with A LOT of different springs before I found this one.

The top spring is the stock VLocity spring, the lower spring is the one we're going to use.

First off we need to put a grub screw in the bottom of the bottom cup. I used my pointed driver and got it hot with a lighter. Once it was hot, I just poked a hole through the plastic. Once I had a hole, I just had to work with the grub until it screwed in. Placement is important, and you can see in the picture where the Tab is (at the bottom) that fits into the slot on the drive paddle cone. I put mine about half way between the center and outter parts.

Next we need to put a grub screw into the top paddle cone. I used the same pointed driver with a lighter to poke a hole in the top and put the grub screw into it. You can see the location of where it's at in the pciture. I have it back on top of the bottom cup with the tab in the slot all the way to the top. You can see in the picture, and it can help you line up where you want to put the top screw.

Here is another pic with the 2 grubs in the top and bottom. I just took the top paddles off the bottom cup and set them side by side so you can kind of see where the 2 screws sit in relation to each other.

Now with the 2 grubs in place, I put my Matrix lube on the top and bottom where the new spring was going to be sitting. I figured I'd make it as slick as possible. It can't hurt right? Once you slick it up, you want to open the end of the spring up so they will fit on the 2 grub screws.

The spring, once it's in place, will wrap around the inside of the cup when you twist it to put it back on. The tab will go in the slot as normal.

Once you have it back together, just put the top cone back on, using 1 or 2 of the washers to space it, and screw it all together! You're done! You have to watch how tight you tighten the screw in so it doesn't make the paddles stick, but besides that, that's all you need to do!

The last mod I had field tested and it made around 15bps on mode 1. This one will get tested tomorrow at eXtreme Paintball in Modesto at the XSV practice. Hope it gets back in one peice, lol! Anyhow, I'm hoping I can get it up to at least 17bps on mode 1, and pretty much as fast as a Halo on mode 2.

I've also done some other testing on the motor and figured out a way to rewire it so it runs A LOT faster. More on that once I get it perfected!

EDITED: It's a C-1 spring now. Century Spring Corp changed the name!

Last edited by bronc.v2 : 04-05-2006 at 12:59 PM.
bronc.v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 PM #2
PaintonyourF4c3
NMU Wildcats FTW

How fast will it go on mode 7?
PaintonyourF4c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:48 AM #3
Prea

u should be able to get 25bps on all modes.....all of the modes go the same speed, the only difference between mode 1 and mode 8, is that mode 8 should have more consistent feeding otb
Old 01-30-2006, 12:49 PM #4
bronc.v2 (Banned)

The mod works!

Wow, I'm pleasently surprised to report this mod WORKS!

I was able to get the SAME speed on Mode 1 and Mode 2 on as I was able to get on Mode 7 and Mode 8!

Unfortunatly, my VLocity appears to be one of the bunk ones that won't get over like 18bps, even with fresh batteries.

I took a multimeter to my batteries, and when the light was blinking and telling me my batteries were low, they read at around 8 volts each.

Dead? Hardly.

I put in 2 new Energizers that read 9.02 volts and 9.07 volts, and the motor at full speed just didn't go as fast as another one I was compairing it to.

Further looking into it, I was able to run a wire to run power directly to the motor and bypass the chips control of it. It ran A LOT faster. I'm talking like 2 to 3 times as fast as mine normally, and close to that much faster of my friends, whoes was feeding like 20bps.

I'm going to guess this could be a logic error in the software on the chip itself, since bypassing the chip made the motor fly. Originally I thought it was an electronics problem, and it still may be, but I'm just not sure yet. It could be the chip can't get enough power and it's signal to the motor controls isn't what it should be. When I run some more tests, I'll know for sure and hopefully post a fix or work around.

If I get it working, where the motors runs faster, and it get it working with this mod, I might have a super hopper on my hands that will go toe to toe with the Halo and Empire hoppers, regardless of the mods on them

The only thing still dissapointing me is that I'm having to fix problems for Viewloader. Problems they already admit they knew existed and problems they are themselves working on fixes for.

I'll post more pics and some video of the finished product once it's working!
Old 01-30-2006, 02:40 PM #5
Snow White

has been a member for 10 years
bronc.v2 , you're talking drop test here right?
Mine has a speed of 24,43 bps in drop test

WGP Karnivor-Viewloader Vlocity
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:01 PM #6
bronc.v2 (Banned)

I did a drop test with my last mod when the on-gun testing wasn't working right to see what the problem was. My tests last weekend were all ON GUN tests.

Guns we used:
DM5 with stock board and chip
05 Ego with Tadao board
Rasta A4 Angel with eyes and Predator board (control gun)

Hoppers we used:
My modded VLocity,
Normal VLocity
Empire Reloader B with stock board
Halo B with Intellifeed on a new Angel Fly

By far the fastest set up with the Halo B with the Intellifeed on the Angel, but other then that, the rest of them all shot pretty much the same. The different was I had my VLocity on Mode 1 and Mode 2 only. The stock VLocity was set on Mode 5, and up.

We used the Rasta A4 as the control gun, since it had ramping up to 20bps and full auto modes. The VLocity will studder and won't give solid streams when just dumping the hopper, but for shooting bursts, it worked ok. The Halo/Empire doesn't studder until the reaches the last of the paint in the hopper, but that's a given.

Still working on speeding up the motor and seeing what results that has.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:03 PM #7
bronc.v2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prea
u should be able to get 25bps on all modes.....all of the modes go the same speed, the only difference between mode 1 and mode 8, is that mode 8 should have more consistent feeding otb
Yep, he's exactly right!

But "should" is the key word in there, lol!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:19 PM #8
Horty(((O))) (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc.v2
Wow, I'm pleasently surprised to report this mod WORKS!

I was able to get the SAME speed on Mode 1 and Mode 2 on as I was able to get on Mode 7 and Mode 8!

Unfortunatly, my VLocity appears to be one of the bunk ones that won't get over like 18bps, even with fresh batteries.

I took a multimeter to my batteries, and when the light was blinking and telling me my batteries were low, they read at around 8 volts each.

Dead? Hardly.

I put in 2 new Energizers that read 9.02 volts and 9.07 volts, and the motor at full speed just didn't go as fast as another one I was compairing it to.

Further looking into it, I was able to run a wire to run power directly to the motor and bypass the chips control of it. It ran A LOT faster. I'm talking like 2 to 3 times as fast as mine normally, and close to that much faster of my friends, whoes was feeding like 20bps.

I'm going to guess this could be a logic error in the software on the chip itself, since bypassing the chip made the motor fly. Originally I thought it was an electronics problem, and it still may be, but I'm just not sure yet. It could be the chip can't get enough power and it's signal to the motor controls isn't what it should be. When I run some more tests, I'll know for sure and hopefully post a fix or work around.

If I get it working, where the motors runs faster, and it get it working with this mod, I might have a super hopper on my hands that will go toe to toe with the Halo and Empire hoppers, regardless of the mods on them

The only thing still dissapointing me is that I'm having to fix problems for Viewloader. Problems they already admit they knew existed and problems they are themselves working on fixes for.

I'll post more pics and some video of the finished product once it's working!
im not 100% sure but running the batteries strait to the motor might eat batteries like crazy and/or burn your motor considering the voltage the motor is getting. If you dead battery light is going off like crazy i would just suggest just desodering the light and replacing it with just a wire so you wont be wasting battery for no reason
-Horty
Horty(((O))) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:16 PM #9
bronc.v2 (Banned)

The motors on hoppers can handle more then 18volts. I think I remember someone saying they are rated to like 24volts or something like that. I don't want to run a wire right from the battery to the motor anyhow in the finished set up, I just want to give it more juice so it goes faster then it does now. Kind of like he aftermarket boards do in Halos if you know what I mean.

As far as power consumption goes, I don't think anything I could do would make it eat them any faster then Viewloader has designed it to do right out of the box, lol!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:53 PM #10
flight cancled
Engineering your BAN

flight cancled is a Supporting Member
Bronc. nice, it reminds me of the egg prototype mod that they never released to the public:
here

Yeah the motor should be able to handle the voltage, I don't think its that big a deal. Hey if that's what you have to do to get what was promised to you...
flight cancled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:08 PM #11
sk8rguy1193

nice mod by a fellow nor cal baller

ΣΙΓMA AΛΦA EΨΛON

Originally posted by paintballmatt15
because smart parts supposrts the NAACP, and lets face it, nobody really likes black people... "
"Originally posted by pearldrummer722
You know you got owned when a 2005er tells you it was posted before... "
sk8rguy1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 PM #12
Prea

hey bronc, where would we be able to get that new spring from?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:04 PM #13
bronc.v2 (Banned)

I got the springs at ACE Hardware. They were the only place that had a good selection. Home Depot and other places didn't have anything that small. They also had the other parts. The spring is model C-55, it's a 3/16"x1-7/8" spring made by Century Spring Corp. They come in a small white and yellow plastic bag.

I'm looking for someone elses VLocity that works like it should to try this mod on. I've had a few local guys ask me to mod their hoppers, so we'll see what I can do. I've got enough stuff to do one more full mod.

I may be at the new Bear Creak Milpitas field on Saturday or SCP on Sunday if anyone wants to check out the mod in person.

I'm getting a new FEP Quest marker to play with to over the weekend. Should be fun!

Last edited by bronc.v2 : 02-13-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:34 PM #14
pbboy37

I was up at my local hardware store and they had those i actually saw that model spring and almost bought it to try in my vlocity.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:44 PM #15
bronc.v2 (Banned)

You might as well try if you feel up to it. If you don't like it, you can just change it back
Old 02-09-2006, 05:55 AM #16
Prea

so will this apply pressure to the stack on mode 1?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:49 PM #17
bronc.v2 (Banned)

Well that's relative really. A Halo is "spring loaded", but won't apply pressure to the ball stack UNTIL it has moved so the spring itself can store up some tension, or potential energy.

My mod works the same way. Once it starts to spin, it will store up the potential energy into the stretched spring, and will be able to use that to put tension on the stack once it starts to spin again.

It's basically the same concept, but applied in a different way. I think it's what Viewloader had in mind when they made the VLocity in the first place, but they just did it wrong. The stock spring is too hard and won't stretch to store up enough energy to do any good. All it's good for is to prevent the paddles from crushing balls on the higher settings, but it's not even too good with that. I've seen it crush Hellfire on mode 7, lol!

So that's the long answer. The short answer is YES.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:53 PM #18
Prea

the number for the spring u gave is completely wrong
Old 02-11-2006, 06:16 PM #19
bronc.v2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prea
the number for the spring u gave is completely wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbboy37
I was up at my local hardware store and they had those i actually saw that model spring and almost bought it to try in my vlocity.
It's the right model and it does exist. This guy saw it, and I have the bag right in front of me. Did you try ACE Hardware? I'm on the west coast (norcal), so maybe the place you went doesn't carry them or something. Maybe check out the spring makers web site or something.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:21 PM #20
Prea

i went to ace hardware, and got the exact number, made by the same ppl, and it bassically looks like a long, more stretched out, pen spring

EDIT:...look...here is the number u gave, and u can tell its wrong because it doesnt have the loops on the end http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...44&cp&kw=c-582

but this other model, does have the loops on the end (this is the one i ended up getting, but its a little long, and i needed to cut it down a bit) http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...41&cp&kw=c-105

EDIT 2: alright, i got mine done, and it seems to work pretty good, ....i got around 22-25bps in mode 1 (thats without starting with balls in the stack, so its probably a little more, since i just counted how long it took for the hopper to empty).....and 31bps in mode 8 (all are drop tested)

Last edited by Prea : 02-12-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Prea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:18 PM #21
bronc.v2 (Banned)

I don't know why the ones in your store are a different model. I went back last night and got another bag, and it was the right model.

Maybe on the east coast they are called something else.

Anyhow, I'm glad you got the mod to work and it's working for you! Hopefully you'll be able to get more then a case or two worth of paint before you have to change your batteries now

EDIT: Wow you may be right on the spring model number. I just looked at the second bag I got from ACE and they are a totally different model number then the first bag I got. I'm going to look into it and see WTF ACE is doing. lol!

This may be the right model, but I'm not sure. http://www.hardwareworld.com/Spring-p38H267.aspx

Last edited by bronc.v2 : 02-13-2006 at 12:20 PM.