Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-02-2002, 10:27 PM #22
Penguin

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
a closed bolt gets more range because more air gets to the ball then re cockes
open bolt bolt moves forward as air is discharged thus forcing the air to go just any where it can (most open bolt have more blow back than closed bolts do)

/er you said that on open bolt guns the air basically goes where ever it can. Lets just say that some air is not behind the ball, it escapes somewhere else. Wouldn't that ball have less acceleration then? Which would mean that the paintball is traveling slower. This slower traveling paintball would not be going the 300 fps then. So of course a gun with more air pressure behind the paintball (which would mean that the paintball is traveling faster) would go farther.

This seems like rather simple reasoning to me. Am i missing something?

My Feedback
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2002, 02:58 PM #23
gain_man
Tuefel Hunden

Annual Supporting Member
gain_man is a founding member
we all know that performance doesnt matter in paintball, its all about the looks, go with the xtreme, trust me, itll even get you chicks. definately the hottest looking gun out right now

Old Feedback
Old 10-08-2002, 12:06 PM #24
Miscue

Quote:
Originally posted by /er
where the bolt is when a gun is shoot does have an effect on the range of a gun.
a closed bolt gets more range because more air gets to the ball then re cockes
open bolt bolt moves forward as air is discharged thus forcing the air to go just any where it can (most open bolt have more blow back than closed bolts do)

the bolt used can affect the range too not by much but it can
the bolt can put a spin on the ball too and caue the range to change
This looks like a job for...

We love ya Isaac!

Automags Online

Last edited by Miscue : 10-08-2002 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:19 PM #25
TequilaMockingbird
Dealin' Welts Since '90

Just to be a real nit-picker, but two guns shooting 300fps are potentially not equal. A dead-on backspin is the only positive spin in paintball, (the Flatline is a crude example) a forwardspin kills lift and shortens range, and a spin on any other axis works to veer the ball in some other direction, adding drag and expending the kinetic energy of the ball. The rate of the spin is also a factor. Thus, if you have 2 guns chronied at 300fps, but they consistently put different spins (rate, direction, or both) on paintballs, one will have a further range than the other.

Personally I've always wondered why no one has marketed a barrel with a "strip" of higher-friction material along the top of the i.d. It would help put a backspin on the ball without the need of a curved design, and while it might slow the ball marginally, that could be countered by turning the gun up to compensate.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:06 PM #26
Miscue

Growl! Hiss! Snarl!

Spin is the 'exception'.

However... it's difficult to keep spin consistent, considering we're talking about gelatin balls here.

Inconsistent spin equates to inconsistent range.
And... inconsistent spin also has the negative side effect of inconsistent velocity. Reason being... conservation of energy. A finite amount of energy is used in firing the ball (since you chrono your gun and it shoots roughly same amount of air each time). That finite amount of energy goes towards the ball's horizontal velocity, and/or its spin.

Total Energy to shoot ball = Energy of velocity + Energy of spin (which varies).

Basically... more spin = less velocity... and vice versa.

The negative side effects of a backspin system result in lessened accuracy. Positives: Some range advantage, flatter trajectory.

The whole purpose for greater range is to be able to hit people easier. A less accurate gun makes it harder to hit people, defeats the purpose don't it? A backspin system basically gives you a chance to miss people you couldn't hit in the first place... and miss people from closer ranges you would have hit without the backspin system.

Automags Online