Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-13-2006, 11:57 PM #22
what a thing (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
Actually, details start getting lost at the higher f-stop as well. You need to find the best comprimise between detail dropoff and DOF while keeping the shot exposed correctly too.
yeah but it isn't noticed too much shooting F22 and keeping your pictures small. If you make prints larger than 11x18 than you might start seeing a loss in detail but it really doesn't make a difference for our purposes.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:27 AM #23
Vision Eyez
SnaP ShoT

thx for all the help guys just a couple more questions however

after reading your suggestions etc ive narrowed it down to a couple lens (for the nikon d70 however if i decide for a cannon im sure cannon has similar lenses)

Lens #1
Nikon AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED DX Nikkor Lens

Lens #2
Nikon AF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6G DX VR

Lens #3
Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G Black

Now for the Questions:
1. what does all the letters in the lens mean (example: AF, IF-ED, DX, VR)

2. out of those lens which would u see best for a "walk around" lense

3. Lens #3 is the cheapest and i do not understand as to why, it ahs the largest focal length out of all and the f-stop is not to bad at 4 when at 70mm. what makes this lens cheaper then others is it the quality?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:40 AM #24
Just Ingen
Darth Clayton

The first two lenses are MILES away from that third one. It's like comparing a pair of vipers to a civic The af-s 18-200 vr is the ultimate walkaround lens from nikon. The first one is a good walkaround from nikon. If you're getting the 18-200, save your money and skip the 18-70.

AF-S: auto-focus silent, it's the silent wave motor that zips the lens in to focus damn near instantly. Major major asset. I'd weep with joy if I could get it for my 50mm f1.8

IF - internal focus, means nothing outside the lens moves when focusing. Another asset.

ED: ultra-low dispersion glass. It's way good ****, better clarity and contrast.

DX: won't work on film.

VR: vibration reduction, lets you shoot sharper handheld (sans tripod).

The third one is cheapest because it's made out of crappy glass, has no AF-s or ED glass, or VR.

best lens is number 2. Period, don't let anyone bull**** you

Photos for sale
pic thread

"originally posted by Drex17
I dont think he knows who he is arguing with.
Ingen > all
"
Old 01-14-2006, 12:11 PM #25
SuPrBuGmAn
The VLM Owner

Definately #2, I still don't see why you'd need the focal length for the shots you're wanting to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17
Its not just the sensors, each lens will be different.
So much to take into account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by what a thing
yeah but it isn't noticed too much shooting F22 and keeping your pictures small. If you make prints larger than 11x18 than you might start seeing a loss in detail but it really doesn't make a difference for our purposes.
I made the mistake of taking some scenery shots at F22 and noticed quite a difference even in shots resized for web usage.
Zuiko Digital 25mm Pancake(f2.8) ED
Zuiko Digital 50mm(f2) ED
Sigma 55-200mm DC AF(f4-5.6)
Old 01-14-2006, 05:22 PM #26
what a thing (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
Definately #2, I still don't see why you'd need the focal length for the shots you're wanting to do...

So much to take into account!

I made the mistake of taking some scenery shots at F22 and noticed quite a difference even in shots resized for web usage.
really? I didn't notice too much of a difference in mine. But my vid card sucks so ...yeah...
Old 01-14-2006, 05:31 PM #27
SuPrBuGmAn
The VLM Owner

Like others said, diffraction will work at different levels on different lenses and sensors. I wouldn't doubt that its compounded by the 4/3rds sensor. Its a bitty thing, but produces some great colors. We get a 2x crop factor compared to Nikon's 1.3 or is it 1.6? I'd imagine diffraction is compounded in the same way. Win some, loose some.

This monitor is horrible, the difference wasn't so noticable on here, but on other computers...ick.
Zuiko Digital 25mm Pancake(f2.8) ED
Zuiko Digital 50mm(f2) ED
Sigma 55-200mm DC AF(f4-5.6)
Old 01-14-2006, 05:55 PM #28
Sacintimidator06
Obey Propaganda

Nikon has 1.5x. Canon 1d and 1dmark2 have 1.3x, Canon 300D,350D, and 20D have 1.6 times.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:44 PM #29
Vision Eyez
SnaP ShoT

thank you guys a bunch for answering all my questions however this weekend i stopped into one of my local camera stores to find out they are EXTERMELY Nikon bias and im going to go to another store to look at the cannons (had like one Cannon: the EOS 5D and i dont have the budget for that one (like 6,000 CAD) however i was looking at the nikons and there is a nice deal that comes with the 18-70mm lens which was above and the D70s which i might pick up and then as time progresses ill grab the 18-200mm if i feel i need the extra zoom.

However i was on some of the canadian camera store website and although people were saying look at the Canon 350D i cant find a 350D or a 35D(in case a spelling error) so if someone could send me a link or explain if its a nickname for another camera or something taht would be great

again thanks ALOT guys, all of you have been helpful!!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:03 PM #30
wgpskaterpunk

wgpskaterpunk is a Supporting Member
Look for Canon Rebel XT , Some places call it a 350d or a XT.

My feedback 65+
Old 01-18-2006, 12:21 PM #31
IKE

I had to decide over the d70 and a e500 but i went with the 350d after i went to bestbuy and saw how they felt in my hand..im loving it right now.