PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-23-2014, 04:23 PM #1
PaintballKW

Website Thoughts

Hey Guys

I have been tinkering with my website for a couple months now, and finally feel it is to a point that i'd like an outsiders perspective on it.

Website is www.splatzone.ca

Looking for things you like or dislike, or things you have done on your site that has worked well for you and that you think I should add to my site.

current wishlist is more group specific pages such as corporate events, team parties, etc.

Look forward to your thoughts! I built it myself so I won't be offended if there are any glaring mistakes you point out, haha

Www.Splatzone.ca Facebook
PaintballKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 PM #2
Skipdogg

That neon green is not appealing to me...
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:23 PM #3
CFCrew

I agree with Skipdogg, the green backing doesn't really work for me with those white letters. Makes my eyes twitch. I think the same print in black would look great.

To follow suit with most of the advice I'd seen, as close to front and center should be a link titled birthdays/private groups. I see rental packages listed below the fold, and these packages again in the tabs. But it wouldn't hurt to push birthday and private groups front and center.

Otherwise, I think it's pretty near complete. Noticed a few other places with that green backing and headache inducing white(Or is that yellow?) print. Verbiage seems good.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 PM #4
Simi Baller
Pillow Fort Architect

Simi Baller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
"Does It Hurt?" Yes, the neon green does indeed hurt. I'd suggest a more muted orange, green, or lighter, subdued red.
Other than that, I actually really like your site. It's nice to see fields start to focus on websites, to bring younger players in.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:57 PM #5
robdavy
Field Owner

I have no complaints with the colour. Own your brand. Your's is neon green, run with it!

Birthday Party Page
"Add-ons include
Paintball Themed Cake/Cupcake
Pizza Lunch"

'add-ons' and 'include' kind of mean the opposite of each other. 'Add-ons available' seems a little more... honest lol

Is it private? Do we play with other people? That's one of the questions we get a lot.
Is there a cost to stay afterwards for cake/pizza/presents? Lots of non-paintball places charge for that, so if you don't charge, shout about it!
Minimum/maximum number of players? How long do they play for? Minimum age? Age is in the FAQ, but is a massive question that's super easy to answer with 3 words.

Also, ask your soccer mum parents if they know what a 'marker' is... We used to say that, but 95% of the general population doesn't know what a marker is, and instead wants a 'paintball gun'. Amazingly, when some people don't see 'gun' listed as included, they assume they have to bring their own.

Our kids birthday party page is at http://edmontonpaintball.ca/birthday...all-prices.php

Maybe I'm clicking wrong (???), but the Low Impact Paintball menu item seems to go to your homepage sometimes. It's weird...
It seems that if you click the top of the button, it links to the homepage. The bottom part of the button links to the correct place. In Firefox anyway

On the Facilities page, there's actually very little about your facilities. There's photos all over the site, but you have to visit every page to see them all. They should probably all be on one page, along with some more details about your facility. Washrooms? Parking? Transit?
Ours is at http://edmontonpaintball.ca/paintball-facility-tour.php

Map needs to be on the contact page (yes, it's at the bottom of every page, but it's tiny). Or the address needs to link to Google Maps.
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 PM #6
joncarlos5

joncarlos5 plays in the APPA D4 division
joncarlos5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
joncarlos5 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I like it. I am a web designer myself so I looked more at the code and layout then the content (but content looks good). Your top logo overlaps over the top 3 nav bars, so only the bottom half is clickable (so either shrink the png, or z-index it behind the nav). You should also look to change your image titles (so the hover effect doesn't say "logo on white.png" or similar things). As for the footer would either choose to center all content or left justify, not both.

Looks great so far though! Keep it up
Old 10-24-2014, 12:08 AM #7
robdavy
Field Owner

I had a suspicion it was the header overlapping, makes sense now

Also, it makes me happy that you own splat.zone
That's so cool

We own paintball.ventures
Haven't done anything with it yet
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM #8
PaintballKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarlos5 View Post
Your top logo overlaps over the top 3 nav bars, so only the bottom half is clickable (so either shrink the png, or z-index it behind the nav).
Thanks! This was really confusing me as to why it wasnt clicking properly but not it all makes sense! Revised, and working much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarlos5 View Post
You should also look to change your image titles (so the hover effect doesn't say "logo on white.png" or similar things). As for the footer would either choose to center all content or left justify, not both.

Looks great so far though! Keep it up
I am using WIX as amy CMS so I know how I can change the image titles, or did you mean there is a way I can hide the image titles?

Thanks for all your feedback, I am updating as we go.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 AM #9
7paintball
Service at its best.

It looks really good. Font is clear and easy to read.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 PM #10
coyote5987

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Is it optimized for smart phones?

Only reason I ask is I had a terrible time with it loading and navigating the site with my phone.
coyote5987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:39 PM #11
PaintballKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote5987 View Post
Is it optimized for smart phones?

Only reason I ask is I had a terrible time with it loading and navigating the site with my phone.
Hey, What device were you using? It has been mobile optimized, and i've tested with a couple different androids, and iphones, and they all loaded fine.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:45 AM #12
Simi Baller
Pillow Fort Architect

Simi Baller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballKW View Post
Hey, What device were you using? It has been mobile optimized, and i've tested with a couple different androids, and iphones, and they all loaded fine.
Working fine on tablets, too, from what I can see. It might have been due to the browser or the connection speed.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:23 AM #13
VictorWTF
RED LETTERS

VictorWTF has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
VictorWTF has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
VictorWTF has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm writing this as I browse and mess with the page...

Edit, I'm on a Lenovo Y510P at 1900x1080 full screen Google Chrome.

Looks cheap, animations are sluggish, that green and blue are atrocious. The space on each side of the content is large and empty, i'd suggest having it auto correct to browser size or trying to redesign it to avoid the huge out side area. I use my compute with the windows not full screen but many people love their internet browsing full force and this looks odd in that case.

The information on the "pricing and packages" area is fine but again with the neon eye piercing green with bright white text, it's just painful to look at.

The drop down menus at the top are functionally ok but would be 10000000x better with a black drop menu or just not white, it blends into the cheap stark white back and makes it look even more cheap.

Having been here awhile it feels like the background has failed to load when really it's just a center filling background backed with stark white, feels bad and incomplete as well as looking bad.

The map and contact info sitting on the bottom is pretty nice, right away gives you a ton of great info, operating hours, contact, and a location with a map. Make that map have a link on the "find us" title and i'd be happier, that way I could plug in my address and get directions instead of copy pasting your address and then going to Google maps.

In fact the white boxes backing all of the text sitting on top of the small bit of background imaging just makes it look even more incomplete or cheap and ugly.

The top right blue box "save time" flag/banner looking thing looks weird, there is this little vertical line on it that nearly cuts into the lettering, no idea why it is there, then the fold? I guess i'll call it that just looks like it's out of position.

Overall good information, good basic design, cool name graphic (though it looks out of focus? especially the black text), I like the bottom bar with the contact/location info but the map could use a link to Google, the pictures you have are nice but if you could get out there for a few minutes and get a nice gallery of the fields and what not that would be awesome.

I'd give it 4/10, for instant improvement, better colours, better fonts (not wild but nicer looking) better or no animations, and fix the background.

Note, not trying to bash you just giving you my thoughts, also i'm kind of harsh on websites as I think it's not that hard to do if you put a bit of work into it. You have a good base but up the standard a bit and put a bit more time into it and it will leave a better impression on people. I personally am put off by cheap looking websites as I feel it shows a lack of effort or care by the company and that feeling will translate into whether I want to go to your field, buy your products, or otherwise.

Good luck, hopefully we see an update.

Last edited by VictorWTF : 10-25-2014 at 03:26 AM.
VictorWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:09 PM #14
PaintballKW

I have toned down the green a bit as per the feedback. I will continue to hunt for the right amount of eye catching neon, without being "eye piercing."

Field slideshow has been added! (More images are in processing right now and will be added as completed.)

I updated the navigation bar to be more legible.

Overall great feedback guys, I appreciate it.