PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-27-2014, 10:42 PM #1
Bob_Evans

Bob_Evans owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bob_Evans supports DLX Technology
Looking for Idea's on a heat issue

I'm located in southern Arizona, and I've been considering opening up a field either being indoor, or somehow with a cooling system set up to keep it shaded and semi cool rather than the 100+ degree's its known to reach. The issue I keep running into is the cost of an indoor field as covered in multiple other threads, I've came to the idea of using a dome (costs $11 per square foot, so still expensive), using money paintball for an indoor field, or finding a solution along the lines of building something to provide shade for fields. The issue in that is that shade isn't enough, so I'm looking for other idea's people have used to keep it cool for play year round rather than half the year.

Another idea I have been bouncing around is just renting out a warehouse seeing as it'll cost me $2-$3 per square foot annually. I understand the negative side to doing this, and feel free to correct me, but the cost of building a building that fit fields is more than $11 per square foot. If i put away $5-$7 per square foot I would be able to purchase my own land after a year or two assuming that things turn out well.

Feel free to state any idea's, opinions, etc. I'm a pretty straight forward guy, so any advice is welcome and very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Bob_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2014, 10:31 AM #2
GatSplat

Don't know about the dome idea... I know that if I were to start again, an indoor is the only way I would go. I feel the indoor business is much easier to turn into a consistent high profit model. If you can afford to buy a warehouse, it's an amazing time to get real estate. Prices are still down, and interest rates are still extremely low. That is also making for extremely low lease rates.

Before you pull the trigger on anything, feel free to contact me, and I can run over some numbers with you.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:41 PM #3
Bob_Evans

pm sent.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:46 PM #4
robdavy
Field Owner

Don't forget that you have to cool that warehouse... Just ask Larry how much is AC bill is
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:19 PM #5
Bob_Evans

Very good point to really do more research on, i know the dome's are supposively not too bad to cool down..atleast the one i was looking at. They didn't give any numbers though.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:25 PM #6
GatSplat

A dome probably would not be practical. Building your own, probably not a good option. You will buy an existing building, or lease a building. Buying is normally preferred, but if you don't have the resources to buy, leases can be found pretty cheap.

And depending on the building, insulation, AC units, etc. it's not that bad on utilities. To put it into perspective, we spend the equivalent of 2 to 3 hours of revenue from one day to pay for all the utilities for the month. Your expenses in order of highest to lowest will probably be Labor, rent (or mortgage note), COGS, utilities, insurance.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 PM #7
luckychamrs777

has been a member for 10 years
That's real interesting since I ad assumed the same thing, that running the AC for a warehouse especially in those areas would be outrageous . I have been trying to figure out the same thing Evans. Since I have been contemplating trying to put a field here...... in the desert haha. I almost thought that if I were to open a field indoor here that putting up solar panels would be the biggest key.
luckychamrs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:46 PM #8
GatSplat

Solar panels would take about 12 - 15 years to amortize the investment, unless you bought the real estate and got some very good tax incentives for the energy conservation. But in the scheme of things... not too important, as the electrical costs are not much in the whole plan.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:09 AM #9
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech

has been a member for 10 years
FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
Matt's Outback in CT used to have a Dome, they don't use it because of zoning reasons anymore but they may be able to give you some info. We all loved playing there in the winter.

FullMetalJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:23 PM #10
Kirko017

Kirko017 plays in the PSP
Kirko017 posts videos on PbNation
Kirko017 is an NCPA player
Kirko017 plays in the APPA D4 division
If you decide to stick to outdoors. In the staging area having fans that spray water with a covered overhead that has slots/holes for heat to rise out of. Chilled water fountain. An ice machine with an ice chest to keep bagged ice for players. Might not be the best solution and as glamorous as indoor with AC, but would help and I wish the fields I've been to at least had that.

Last edited by Kirko017 : 10-27-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Kirko017 is offline   Reply With Quote