Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is an Administrator
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
MEGATHREAD: Paintball Business FAQ & Knowledge Base

I'm going to merge all the generic requests for information about starting a field, store, and online store into this thread. I ask that the forum regulars not reply to any new threads and only reply to these requests in this thread. The intent is to make this a one-stop shop for the information we get asked for on a regular basis.

When a new thread pops up that should be merged into this thread, use the report function and list the reason as "merge to megathread".

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 PM #2
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is an Administrator
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Thinking about starting a field? Read this first.
Thinking about starting a store? Check out these videos.

General Discussion
Developing A Business Plan
--Guide to Creating a Business Plan
--Sample Business Plan
--Paintball Industry and Injury Statistics
--Environmental Impact of Paintballs
--Occupancy Costs
--Approaching The Owner Of A Property
How Much Money Do Paintball Businesses Make?
General Care of Paintballs
Accepting Credit Cards
Point Of Sale Software
What To Look For When Hiring
Protecting Against Burglary
--Air & CO2
----The Definitive Air Fill Thread
----How To Read Hydro Labels
----Pricing for Air Fills
----Air Fill Station Components
----MSDS Sheets
------Compressed Air
------Nitrogen
------CO2

Research & Marketing Resources
Census Data By Zip Code

Stores
Read This First
How to setup a wholesale account
MAP Pricing Discussion
--Brick & Mortar
----Store Fixtures (Cabinets, Wall Grid, etc)
----Store Security

Fields
Advertising Your Field
Changing The Alarm Speed On Red Chronographs
Compressors--How To Evaluate A Used One
Field Design Software
Financing a Field
What Netting Is Best?
Buying Netting? Buyer Beware!
How To Install Netting
Tricks for Griding Out An Airball Field
How to Setup & Tear Down Sup Air Bunkers
How to Clean Bunkers
How to Clean Up Paintballs/Reballs
Rental Gun Choices
Repairing Airball Bunkers
Hyperpipe
FPO vs. BYOP
--More Discussion on FPO vs. BYOP
Playing Field Dimensions
Ref Compensation
Effectiveness of Waivers
Dealing With Mosquitoes

Rental Equipment
Chest Protectors

Court Rulings Relevant To Paintball
Paintball Waiver Upheld in New York Supreme Court
WI Court Of Appeals Rules Player Isn't Responsible For Another Player's Injury

Where To Get:
X-Ball Scoreboards
Surveying Tape (armbands)
--Reball
----Fee Discussion
----Hourly Sessions
----Motorized Hopper Issues
----Preventing Theft/Loss of Reballs
----Ruballs (Russian Variant)
--Indoor
----Flooring
----Building
----How To Install Turf
----GatSplat's Paintball Gobbler
--Outdoor

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field

Last edited by TargetIndy : 05-31-2013 at 08:06 PM.
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:03 AM #3
odd1or2even

has been a member for 10 years
Couple questions on a 17,000 sqf warehouse?

I'm starting a business plan and I have been in the paintball business and know enough to start a real business. I'm going to school for business management, but I've been running a small field for the past 3 years and and it's been getting larger and larger each year with just word of mouth spreading it.

My question is what size of compressor should I think about getting when moving into a warehouse that I'll rent between 15-20 thousand sq f? Also, how many bulk tanks (2? 4? 4500 tanks? 6000?). Also what learning curve is there (do I need to take classes)? I'll be having employees filling tanks so there won't be anything that could happen from an inexperienced person.

Also, would anyone consider buying used equipment or would you stay away from that?

I don't have any idea on the number of people per hour that I'd be filling for compressed air, but I would take a guess at a minimum of 10 per hour. I would like to switch my own rentals into having compressed air as well, but that can be done slowly or if someone can show me the cost savings and when they break even. Also would you go with the 47x3000's? And if so how many shots do they get?

I currently own 35 Tippmann Custom full rentals with new masks that are all fully paid, and I have the experience of the field. I'm not saying I have it all, but what other area should I look into that would be the most expensive expense besides insurance?

I've thought about the flooring and I'll be going with turf. I'd like to get one that can be picked up and moved into another location without any lose of product but also keeping the cost down. I've seen a "Pro Turf" or something but can't remember the website. It has a sponge effect when running and it's been used a few times at other fields. It comes in squares that lock into place. It's also removable in case you want to change the surface into something else. I was wondering if anyone else could give me a quote on the cost per sq f.

Anything else I need to look into? I know the netting and it having to be fire retardant. What about any laws in PA that would prohibit me from going indoors?

Thanks again,
Steve

___oooo
[l_,[____],
l---L O llllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Thornton Paintball
odd1or2even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:08 PM #4
Baroque-Urban

Team and Field at school

Hey, I go to a military academy in Mexico,Missouri and well me and a few other people are try to start a paintball team here and also open 2 fields on our campus and we have more then enough land so thats not a problem. Anyways since im mostly in charge and want this to happen by next year hopefully so what kids that come here will be able to enjoy paintball when away from home and not have to go crazy like I have the past 3 years; So im making this my legacy before I leave this year. Ok I was wondering if their is what do we exactly need to start and Xball, and Woodsball course going like where to get inflatable bunkers, how big should the xball field be, what should be the main safety rules and regulations we should enforce( we need to present this to the board of trustees which are all the big wigs so safety is gonna be the biggest concern), and any other things that we would need to have to start a field. Thankyou very much!
Baroque-Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:38 PM #5
agdman

indoor fields

Hi, I am looking to open and indoor field. I was looking at turf when i realized that a NXL field is 125x180 and an NPPL field is 100x180. Do most of you guys with indoor fields have regulation size fields?
agdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:30 PM #6
NCSUgotbanned

hey i need a buisenes plan

i was wondering if you had a buisness plan already written up
i need help starting a feild it would be indoor and merged in the same biuld ing as a bmx track

so i need a buisnes plan

eclipse fanclub member #18
NCSUgotbanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:57 PM #7
Muppet
Get Down With The Muppet!

Muppet is a Supporting Member
AGDMan- Personally I would try to stay as far away from indoor fields as possible, due to most of them go under beacuse of the expensive cost of overhead. To answer your question, no most are not regulation, because a field that big, makes it alot bigger of a building. My local field is only 100x60 and although it is noticable, I dont think any of the locals have a problem. I say go with the NPPL, the 25 feet dosent matter that much. Although X-Ball is popular thier fields are very big as is and I dont think 25 feet will matter. If you want to play it safe go with 115. Hopfully that helps.

NCSUgotbanned- First off I doubt any paintball business is going to give up their business plan, thats like giving up you playbook to the other team. I can re-direct you in the right way though. Check out Bplans.com they have free samples. Just take the sample paste it in word and edit it from there. I am assuming that is what you want to do is just edit it. If not still you can use it as a guide. Good Luck

I SUPPORT THE 'NATION

{Buy With Confidence}
I AM B/S/T Trusted
My FeedBack
Owner Of www.pbdamage.com
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:21 PM #8
NCSUgotbanned

thnx

yeah thnx muppet

eclipse fanclub member #18
NCSUgotbanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:53 PM #9
!-Psychild-!
I over achieve

!-Psychild-! owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
!-Psychild-! has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
!-Psychild-! has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
!-Psychild-! has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Possibly Starting A Field Soon

well, like the title says, after Summer I might be starting my own field. I've talked it over with my parents, and they said as long as I get the money to build the field, then they will help run the financial/business part of it. So, I just wanted to know about how much I'm lookin at to get a decent sized speedballl field with blow ups, a filling station, paint to sell, and rentals. Please help me out a lil bit, thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 PM #10
rcxpaintball (Banned)
Banned

Depends on many things.

Set aside 15k for a starting up figure. Its a decent number and you dont "NEED" to have that much, but its something to shoot for.
rcxpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 PM #11
Muppet

For your paint and rentals go thru National. They are the cheapest...
If your looking to start a field I would say unless you want to blow your college fund get a job now and pay for it thru that. Another option is to go with a Hay field. I know it sounds like the worst idea other but if you want to cut the cost of the field to a little under $300 that is the way to go. Another option is Hyper-Ball. You dont see em around too much anymore, so I think players will enjoy trying somthing new/ getting to play a field that is kind of ancient. Thats good that your parents are on board, you are most likely need to have them do most of the things like aquire a Tax ID, getting your Dealer License. My parents helped me with alot of my stuff, so make sure you dont get mad or do somthing to make them stop. I know without mine my PbDamage.com would have never got off the ground. Even though it is still getting products added at this time and is not yet open, I owe it all to my parents for helping me.

I hope this helps give you an idea of what it is like to be a young entrepreneur in the world of paintball. Its tough but its worth it.
Good Luck
-Muppet

I SUPPORT THE 'NATION

{Buy With Confidence}
I AM B/S/T Trusted
My FeedBack
Old 01-18-2006, 06:57 PM #12
!-Psychild-!
I over achieve

!-Psychild-! owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
!-Psychild-! has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
!-Psychild-! has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
!-Psychild-! has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks man, I was thinkin more along the lines of just laying some dirt flat on a field and starting from there. I figure it won't be very slippery, and definately will not be very expensive. They say if this summer I make enough money to build the field, it's a go. Not to mention for the first year or two it's gonna be a private team field, just wanna get a dealer's license to help some of the fees. Not to mention getting it cheap and selling it to the team can make profit so we can open up to the public
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 PM #13
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Howdy, Well i wanted to clear out a spot in some woods and make some bunkers myself out of wood. Then i want to get somewhat like an 80 cubic foot co2 tank and we'll all play mech spyders for the day as sort of a fun break from the 20 bps ropes lol. How much would it cost for stuff like wood and the huge co2 tank? And how much is it to fill a big tank like that? And any reccomendations on paint for the woods? Ive never really played in the woods except like once, whats a good brand thatll show up easy, cheap, and relatively thin shelled?
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:48 PM #14
Muppet

X-Ball Bronze. Breaks on target, and very cheap.
www.paintball-discounters.com allows you to apply for wholesale accounts. I am sure if you tell them what you are useing it for they might give you a discount on buying bulk paint.

I SUPPORT THE 'NATION

{Buy With Confidence}
I AM B/S/T Trusted
My FeedBack
Old 01-22-2006, 08:09 PM #15
SiTdOwN37
are you a real OG?

quick speed / hyperball question

hey im starting ajust afeild i have a ton of clear feilds so im wondering i dont have a ton of money i have like under a 1000 dollers and what is cheaper i would only have like one feild just for my team to practice but what is cheaper air bunkers hyperball or just making thmw outta wood like a sheet of ply wood
Old 01-22-2006, 08:18 PM #16
Bunkerratz.

get the extreme rage bunker sets they are like 300 dollars for a set of 5 bunkers so 10 for 600 and they are real airball bunker you can buy them about anyways including paintballgear.com and punisherpb.com
Bunkerratz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:07 PM #17
dmkid (Banned)
Banned

I want to start a field, but how much money....

I want to start my own field. If any one remembers the store AMES. They went out of bussiness a wile ago and there are alot of buildings that are no longer in use. AMES was like a target or a wallmart. My parents really like the idea of me and my friends starting a field. They said they would gladly rent the store. It is 60,000 sq ft, which I think is pretty big. I know it is going to cost alot of money to get started. We are going to need turf which I saw going for $2.50 for one square foot. We will need co2, nitro fill stations also. We wont need to have a great store. We will need refs also, I know alot of kids that enjoy paintball and I can get them to ref. There would be alot of people coming to play. Most of the other fields in CT are very expensive. They charge $100 bucks a case. I would only charge $55 for Draxxus. I was just wondering if any one else has converted a store into a field to get an overall of how much it would cost.
dmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:17 PM #18
run-fast,or-die

it would cost a crap load of money. and the paint will have to be more then 55 bucks. thats were u will b getting most of your money from.
run-fast,or-die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:19 PM #19
rcxpaintball (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkid
I want to start my own field. If any one remembers the store AMES. They went out of bussiness a wile ago and there are alot of buildings that are no longer in use. AMES was like a target or a wallmart. My parents really like the idea of me and my friends starting a field. They said they would gladly rent the store. It is 60,000 sq ft, which I think is pretty big. I know it is going to cost alot of money to get started. We are going to need turf which I saw going for $2.50 for one square foot. We will need co2, nitro fill stations also. We wont need to have a great store. We will need refs also, I know alot of kids that enjoy paintball and I can get them to ref. There would be alot of people coming to play. Most of the other fields in CT are very expensive. They charge $100 bucks a case. I would only charge $55 for Draxxus. I was just wondering if any one else has converted a store into a field to get an overall of how much it would cost.
Contact this man for all the info you need, hes a sales rep. at a wholesale disributor and has been working in the paintball retail/stores/fields & playing world for around ten years so he knows a few tips and tricks about field work and such. Plus the fact that hes a sales rep and can help you set up a package for you and can get you the info you need helps quite a bit.

zmills@verizon.net

AIM
RemiZMoney
rcxpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:21 PM #20
Paintballpark

60,000 sq. feet of building can not be cheap no matter were you live so I take it your parents have lots of money. Make sure you and you parents work out a busniess plan before you invest your hard earn capital in the busniess it looks great from a players point of view but there is alot more involved then just buying paintballs!
Paintballpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 PM #21
bballryand316
Custom Projects are fun.

Good idea. Thought ur in CT, im in MASS, so id go.
Just make it nice prices, and good fields. Try to have a booth or something in case somethings lost or stolen, make people feel secure. But id say go for it.

Last edited by bballryand316 : 03-07-2009 at 10:42 AM.
bballryand316 is offline   Reply With Quote