Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 AM #22
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

sublimize24 helped look for balloons
sublimize24 supports Team VICIOUS
sublimize24 is an NCPA player
sublimize24 plays in the APPA beginner division
This is really helpful. I really appreciate it. Like I said, I mostly make car videos. The audio is usually pretty loud, as I film at the track and stuff like that. I have a panasonic PVGS120 now, a consumer 3CCD one with a leica lens, and it's exeeded my expectations for it as a "consumer" model. It's actually my dad's, and I've wanted to upgrade and get my own for a while now. I wouldn't mind owning another panasonic, but again the price comes into play. I want to spend around $1000.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
www.allpaintballsupplies.com
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2005, 01:00 AM #23
boomslang
lo-fi

boomslang is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ah, car videos. I don't know why I was thinking skateboarding. My bad.

3CCD is a must for low light, so if you're doing night shooting on the track you're good to go. In addition, the 3 CCDs are able to reproduce color more accurately and vividly than a single CCD, so there's really no reason to not get 3CCDs unless you're trying to save money and sacrifice video quality.

If you're outdoors, an external mic is a good idea. You can pick up a wind baffle for it to kill wind noise. If loudness is a problem, you can adjust the levels on the built-in mic for sure. I'll be back in a sec to see if you can also adjust them using an external mic jacked into the 1/8th".

One final note- When I jumped into the market for a camera, I had a $1000 budget as well. However, after about two weeks on eBay and Froogle, I ended up $375 over budget with a brand new AG from the seller "time2envy" on eBay. (He's now selling them for a little more than $1400.) Basically what I'm trying to say is that I hope you can find a good deal. I haven't had any experience with used cameras, so I guess I can't tell you what to look out for or anything. But yeah, if you can find the AG for $1000, make sure it's not busted in any way. Hell, it just might be a great deal.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:06 AM #24
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

Thanks for your help man, I appreciate it.
I recently got a copy of final cut, and I figured it was time to step up my camera game too.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 12-31-2005, 01:18 AM #25
boomslang
lo-fi

Okay, so you can indeed adjust the mic input level of both the built in mic as well as the external. However, it might be difficult to do this on the fly because it required a small amount of menu navigation. There is an automatic setting prepped to go as the default setting, so I'm guessing that it automatically adjusts your levels if input dBs get to high. Not positive, however.

Oh, and how about a decent pair of closed headphones? It might be helpful to monitor what you're recording without everything being drowned out by engines. It's probably not necessary, but it's a thought. It's always better to save the money anyway.

And just to throw something else out there- What about HD recording? There's a single-CCD Sony unit on the market that's within your price range (probably cheaper than the AG). What do you think? It's got its pros and cons, and if you'd like, we can go over them.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:37 AM #26
boomslang
lo-fi

I'm actually gonna get some sleep. If you think HD might be an option, check out the Sony HDR-HC1.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=1&fsoo=1

Okay, so I lied, it's not cheaper than the AG. You should be able to find a used one though, and they're pretty popular. Single CCD means slightly grainier low light performance, but aside from this the picture quality is known to be excellent. Because it shoots HD footage, you'll be on the cutting edge. Keep in mind that you can't put HD material on a DVD without mixing down into standard definition (at least until HD-DVD or BluRay gets approved). But still, HD stuff is the way of the future.

If you're interested, I'd recommend finding a more reputable source for reviews other than myself, because I do not own one. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 AM #27
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

Eh... not too keen on HD. I don't even have an HDTV, or a DVD burner.
I think I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one. Good idea, though.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 12-31-2005, 03:07 AM #28
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

The VX2000 is really nice too.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 AM #29
boomslang
lo-fi

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_AG...-30836631.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_DCR_VX2...7-6145072.html

The AG outscores the VX2000 on CNet.com. Some details to help you remain critical of the ratings include:

Two different people reviewed the cameras. The review for the VX was conducted 2 years earlier than the review for the AG was. (2002 / 2004) The AG received the "Editors' Choice" award. The AG is newer.

I haven't been able to find a direct comparison between the two. The VX2000 is a good camera, but is older than its updated brother (VX2100) so you might be able to find it for (relatively) cheap or at least within budget.

Just out of curiosity, what made you consider the VX2000?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:52 PM #30
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

More optical zoom, way more features. I saw a site that was selling the VX2100 for $1400 brand new... that can't be right... they also had the AG for like $1000.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 12-31-2005, 01:18 PM #31
boomslang
lo-fi

It wasn't "Royal Camera," was it? They sell the Japanese-only version of some cameras that don't come with any accessories at all. When I ordered a GL-2 from them, I found out when I confirmed my order that I wasn't going to get what I thought I was paying for.

Also, the VX2000 has 12x zoom as opposed to the AG's 16x, making the AG superior in terms of optical zoom.. Also, pixel count is better on the AG's CCDs. As for features, I think you're right. The VX does win in that category. Ease and abundance of manual adjustment is better than what the AG offers.

Oh wow. I wish I had seen this! Great deal on the AG. I hope it's not Japanese-only.
http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...134462&start=1
Old 12-31-2005, 01:26 PM #32
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang
It wasn't "Royal Camera," was it? They sell the Japanese-only version of some cameras that don't come with any accessories at all. When I ordered a GL-2 from them, I found out when I confirmed my order that I wasn't going to get what I thought I was paying for.

Also, the VX2000 has 12x zoom as opposed to the AG's 16x, making the AG superior in terms of optical zoom.. Also, pixel count is better on the AG's CCDs. As for features, I think you're right. The VX does win in that category. Ease and abundance of manual adjustment is better than what the AG offers.

Oh wow. I wish I had seen this! Great deal on the AG. I hope it's not Japanese-only.
http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...134462&start=1
actually it was royal camera... thanks for the warning. The site said it was the NTSC version, but it didn't mention accesories. I haven't found any used AG's for sale. If I could find one for cheaper, I would definitely consider it. I've found a couple VX2000's for around $1400 with extra batteries and lenses and stuff.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 12-31-2005, 01:30 PM #33
boomslang
lo-fi

Having a couple batteries is always good. The only one that came with the AG is a one-hour battery that isn't that great, especially in the cold weather. Looks like you're going for the VX, then- let me know how it is if you get one!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:44 PM #34
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

Will do. Thanks for your help man.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 12-31-2005, 04:34 PM #35
BLUEWAVE sc
super homie

if you're buying online, beware of nonreliable websites. ebay or b&h is the way to go for any electronics.

if you are going to buy from a different website, google the name to see what results you get. if people have bought from them before, there's probably reviews online, and you can check those to make sure you don't get scammed.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:46 AM #36
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEWAVE sc
if you're buying online, beware of nonreliable websites. ebay or b&h is the way to go for any electronics.

if you are going to buy from a different website, google the name to see what results you get. if people have bought from them before, there's probably reviews online, and you can check those to make sure you don't get scammed.
I'll be buying off ebay. I've had pretty good luck with ebay. 2 of the things I'm selling sold tonight, so I added $350 to the fund. My dad is probably going to help me out. I really like the VX2000, the more I read about it, the more I like it. Even CNN uses them for "dangerous field reporters".
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 01-03-2006, 12:41 AM #37
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

What do you guys think about the sony PD-150?
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 AM #38
BLUEWAVE sc
super homie

vx2000, vx2100, pd150, pd170, are all about the same camera, they've only got a few specs that are different within each other.

i believe the pd170 is the replacement for the pd150, and the vx2100 the replacement for the vx2000, but they're basically the same camera.

easy accessibility to the white balance,aperture, nd filter, and zebra functions, they're all great.

the only thing that i would worry about is that this group of sony cameras compared to the gl2 is heavier. i'm not sure how much, but it'd benefit you if you just checked out the weight specs.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 AM #39
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

Alright. Will do. The pd has XLR inputs. I don't think it has an internal mic.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 01-03-2006, 05:33 PM #40
BLUEWAVE sc
super homie

i'm pretty sure the pd has an internal mic, BUT to use the xlr inputs i think you take the internal off or something. if you use the xlr box you're going to need a decent shotgun mic.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 PM #41
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

Well, the PD comes with a shotgun mic and the xlr box. Pretty sure I'm going with the VX2000, but if I can find a PD150 for around the same price, I'll buy it.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
Old 01-05-2006, 10:16 PM #42
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

I used a PD-150 at school today, and I can't resist. I'm gonna spend the extra $300 or so and get the PD. It has so many cool features. It has zoom and record controls on the handle too. The only problem I see is the microphone. It might sort of get in the way, but it should be ok. I'm told the PD has no internal mic. The shotgun mic is not particularly large either.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6