Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-28-2005, 12:21 AM #1
dimenticatodio187
so many ways to get paid

Well...need some advice...

I have a 3rd gen Iroc....5.7 TPI hooked to a 700r4

Paint is the process...while the car is being taken apart to get the body work/paint...Im debating on putting a new motor in...Id like to keep/rebuild/beef up the 700r4...as far as the motor goes....Ive been leaning to an LS1...I can get one fairly cheap with pretty low miles. But can the 700r4 can it? If not...can it be built up to take it? If the LS1 isnt an option...LT1 perhaps? If someone could just throw some ideas at me...
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2005, 12:50 AM #2
Skull Leader
NO SLEEP till APOCALYPSE

has been a member for 10 years
Lightbulb

Let's just forget messing around...

OUR PRICE: $14,511.90

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com has only 4 left!!!!! So hurry up!!!!!!!

Although, a used LS1 would do. I'm pretty sure a 700r4 would do fine. I've had issues with everything else besides my LT1 (4L60E, rear end, opti), but the engine itself is strong. In fact, you can just go ahead and get the LS1 cuz there aint no goddamn optispark to die on you.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 AM #3
paintbrawler12321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Leader
Let's just forget messing around...

OUR PRICE: $14,511.90

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com has only 4 left!!!!! So hurry up!!!!!!!

Although, a used LS1 would do. I'm pretty sure a 700r4 would do fine. I've had issues with everything else besides my LT1 (4L60E, rear end, opti), but the engine itself is strong. In fact, you can just go ahead and get the LS1 cuz there aint no goddamn optispark to die on you.
thats a rich move, hes not kidding either.....
Old 12-28-2005, 01:51 AM #4
AGP16
CumminTryMe

AGP16 is a Supporting Member
If you going to do it... do it right. Putting an LT1 in there would be a giant waste IMO. There are reasons why the Gen II(LT1, LT4, LT5) Chevy small block was replaced so quickly by the Gen III(what is commenly refered to as the LS1, as well as several other designations).

The 700R4 most deffinitely can be built up to handle just about as much power as you'll be able to produce with a LS1... it all coems down to your budget. Although it wouldn't be much to build a really stout 700R4.

Combat Wounded Marine - Some Assembly Required
Old 12-28-2005, 04:36 PM #5
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

the 700r4 can be made to handle 700hp...but one problem ...it wont fit the ls1/2 because the bolt patterns are slightly different...you'd need an adapter plate...

what is wrong with the l98?...atleast you are starting out with a roller cam 350, not a flat tappet cam 305 like i got...bet both our cars run the same times...lol

the only thing i can think of is the tpi fi sucks *** majorly...they just came out with an intake for it called the stealth ram...they tested a modified car (i think it was) and gained 50hp/torque over the tpi system...that is how restrictive that **** is!!...you probably think your car is weak because 9 times out of 10 you didn't get a g92 equipped car with 3:45 gears...i am betting your 9 bolt is a 2.77 rear gear ratio

what all mods do you have?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 PM #6
dimenticatodio187
so many ways to get paid

Car is stock...the stealth ram was an option I was looking at a while back...same with ported plenum (sp?) and such..the gains seemed decent from what i heard...just not worth the money to me, when i can slide in a LS1...and have a much more powerful platform to build on. The TPI is just ehhh...the car has powerpicks up decent just seems to fall on its face around the 5500 mark...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:56 PM #7
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimenticatodio187
Car is stock...the stealth ram was an option I was looking at a while back...same with ported plenum (sp?) and such..the gains seemed decent from what i heard...just not worth the money to me, when i can slide in a LS1...and have a much more powerful platform to build on. The TPI is just ehhh...the car has powerpicks up decent just seems to fall on its face around the 5500 mark...
that is the tpi for you...it runs out of breathe around 4500 rpms...

you can't just slide and ls1 in...i am doing this swap and it is not going to be cheap one bit...the wiring is going to cost 1k alone, the headers are 1k...parts to mount the motor and trans is $500......with that amount since you already have a good motor...why dont you work with it?....the tpi is what is killing you..

with a cam and stealth ram, full exhaust and gears you'd really wake the car up and put her into the mid 12s

unlike you i am missing cubic inches and my heads are not what you'd call spectacular...but i am running in the same area as stock lt1 cars

got any pics of the project as it progresses?

here is mine:
Old 12-28-2005, 05:12 PM #8
dimenticatodio187
so many ways to get paid

Wow...beautiful car...I thought about just converting it to carb'd...and beef itup like crazy...money isnt really that big a problem...and Ive always wanted a LS1 powered 3rd gen...cause well...its that awesome. The stealth ram idea wouldnt be so bad just kind of hard to change your mind once your mind is set ya know? But I mean....the stealth ram...and building the motor with that is definetly something to look into. I have an older cardomain site with the car when I first got it...feel free to hit me on aim...j m0n3y187...I have tons of questions and it seems you could help.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:16 PM #9
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

i am only doing the ls1 idea because i am building the car for a road course....going carbed and hitting hard corners sometimes doesn't agree...dont wanna do all the work to be efi unless its an ls1...plus the weight savings is awesome