Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-28-2005, 04:16 PM #22
blue69camaro383 (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPBaller
Well, instead of buying a new car ive come to the conclusion to just work on my third gen firebird. It goes to the bodyshop thursday. Later on down the road i plan on doing an engine swap. I got a couple questions here.

What engine and tranny would be a good choice? Keep in mind its a daily driver, but i want a weekend warrior as well

Its automatic, but i would like a manual, my dads a mechanic so i have all the tools, hoists and whatnot i would need, do you think it would be possible to convert it to a manual?

Sorry about my newbism, im tryin to learn here.

its not that bad to convert over the car...my biggest suggestion would be using 4hen pedals for the simple reason of the hydraulics for the trans...there is a bushing and a clip on the masyer/slave for the t56 that is a **** and a half to install when using the 3rd gen pedals...the only trouble i only ran into when in installed a t56 into my other car was the steering shaft needed to be unbolted so you could fit the slave the right way to the tranny tunnel...to install this trans onto a gen 1 chevy engine you're going to need an aftermarket flywheel unless you are using a one piece seal rear main (86-up)...you wont need this of course if you use a newer motor, again (86-up)...to install the trans you'll need a aftermarket cross member/ torque arm set up so the trans has a cross member to sit on

when you or if you do deside to do this in this car DO NOT use the stick shifter for the trans...the shift is too long because of the tranny sitting 2 inches back farther ...i am sure you know you will need to cut a hole for the shifter...real easy

the year of your car will depend on your speedometer being able to work...newer transmissions (t56)work off a signal of 4000 pulses per mile where the older ones dont...you'll need to get a convertor box, i know a few places that sell them....

there is other things i could mention but atm i am beat because i just got off work....thirdgen.org is your new best friend....go over there and ask question and you'll get all the answer you'd want to get...alot of people over there have done alot to their cars and you'd be amazed at what simple crap can make your car 100x better
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2005, 04:17 PM #23
blue69camaro383 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4/7_Ep3
we did it on my friends hatch project. only thing we had to do was cut out the floor using a template that came with the rsx shifter box adapter that was 50 bucks. ran the cables. wallah.
it is a little more indepth on these cars
Old 12-28-2005, 06:32 PM #24
XPBaller

thx blue. yea i know thirdgen.org is a good resource, ill be visiting there a bit. I think im gonna go with an LS1 and T56, i just need to save some dollars and find them. I have an 87 with a 2.8l
Old 12-28-2005, 06:33 PM #25
blue69camaro383 (Banned)

my best advice would be to search for a wrecked car...look to pay around 5k