Some third gen Firebird Qs - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-27-2005, 09:46 PM #1
XPBaller
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Some third gen Firebird Qs

Well, instead of buying a new car ive come to the conclusion to just work on my third gen firebird. It goes to the bodyshop thursday. Later on down the road i plan on doing an engine swap. I got a couple questions here.

What engine and tranny would be a good choice? Keep in mind its a daily driver, but i want a weekend warrior as well

Its automatic, but i would like a manual, my dads a mechanic so i have all the tools, hoists and whatnot i would need, do you think it would be possible to convert it to a manual?

Sorry about my newbism, im tryin to learn here.
XPBaller is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2005, 10:03 PM #2
adgergewh
 
 
adgergewh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: WA
 has been a member for 10 years
Five. Seven. Two.
__________________
Hump your gun
adgergewh is offline  
Old 12-27-2005, 10:24 PM #3
Captain Morgan (Banned)
Sailing the High Seas
 
Captain Morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPBaller
Well, instead of buying a new car ive come to the conclusion to just work on my third gen firebird. It goes to the bodyshop thursday. Later on down the road i plan on doing an engine swap. I got a couple questions here.

What engine and tranny would be a good choice? Keep in mind its a daily driver, but i want a weekend warrior as well

Its automatic, but i would like a manual, my dads a mechanic so i have all the tools, hoists and whatnot i would need, do you think it would be possible to convert it to a manual?

Sorry about my newbism, im tryin to learn here.
im trying to find an lt1 and a 4l60e for mine. just look around for a wrecked car or in a peddlers post (if you have those things). im sticking with the auto on mine, manual would be nice but its too much work just to shift the gears yourself.
Captain Morgan is offline  
Old 12-27-2005, 10:45 PM #4
XPBaller
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Yea i was thinking LT1..... Any other options?
XPBaller is offline  
Old 12-27-2005, 10:58 PM #5
NEp8ntballer
 
 
NEp8ntballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
NEp8ntballer supports our troops
the other option would be to find an LS1 and 6 speed in a wrecked z-28 ot TA post 1998. Or an LS1 & 6 speed from a wrecked C5 vette. Or if you really wanna haul get an LS7 crate motor.
__________________
best porn thread in ST history by ScorpionShock - I was there 6/7 or 6/8 depending on your timezone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Official ST Atheists #8


Old Feedback
NEp8ntballer is offline  
Old 12-27-2005, 11:00 PM #6
XPBaller
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
that seems like it would be really pricey tho..
XPBaller is offline  
Old 12-27-2005, 11:06 PM #7
NEp8ntballer
 
 
NEp8ntballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
NEp8ntballer supports our troops
LS1 and 6 spd from a wreck will cost 5k or less. You could also get a 454 from a junkyard and rebiuld it, or a 350 and get a stroker kit that will take it out to a 383. Firebird is a V6, right?
__________________
best porn thread in ST history by ScorpionShock - I was there 6/7 or 6/8 depending on your timezone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Official ST Atheists #8


Old Feedback
NEp8ntballer is offline  
Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 PM #8
XPBaller
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Yup. V6. How hard would it be to find an LS1?
XPBaller is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 12:56 AM #9
Skull Leader
NO SLEEP till APOCALYPSE
 
Skull Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Peoples Republic of TX
 has been a member for 10 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
im trying to find an lt1 and a 4l60e for mine. just look around for a wrecked car or in a peddlers post (if you have those things). im sticking with the auto on mine, manual would be nice but its too much work just to shift the gears yourself.
You can just go ahead and forget THAT shyte. Like I said in an earlier post, my 4L60E has gone through 2 painful rebuilds. But, I did recently discover http://www.700r4l60e.com/ and am thinking of putting in some kind of "update" myself.
Skull Leader is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 12:23 PM #10
drummerjamesh
 
drummerjamesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ALABAMA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPBaller
Yup. V6. How hard would it be to find an LS1?
all those people wrapping huge z28s around trees..you can probably do it haha
__________________
Originally posted by PAC
I can do an impression of you
*****. *****. *****. die.
drummerjamesh is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 12:37 PM #11
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA
 
Twenty4/7_Ep3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: IL,nw AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
manual would be nice but its too much work just to shift the gears yourself.
__________________
ST:F Come at me bro
ST:A because racecar
1996 Civic Race
1992 Civic Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 12:40 PM #12
Captain Morgan (Banned)
Sailing the High Seas
 
Captain Morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4/7_Ep3
have you converted a manual to an automatic?
Captain Morgan is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 12:44 PM #13
Not a former member
Needs a team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: (Nor*859*Ken)
 has been a member for 10 years
I hate driving camaros/firebirds with manuals... you literally have to push on the clutch past where it stops at(at least all the ones Ive driven, I guess its just the way they set with the interior and engine)
__________________
Get with the program strip to the slow jam slip on a Trojan kissin' the toes and move to the knees go back, repeat the job ain't done 'til you ruin the sheets
Not a former member is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:01 PM #14
THESpidey Duo
True Blue, Solid Gold
 
THESpidey Duo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Morgantown, WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a former member
I hate driving camaros/firebirds with manuals... you literally have to push on the clutch past where it stops at(at least all the ones Ive driven, I guess its just the way they set with the interior and engine)
No you don't.

LS1 with 6speed can be had for about 5500... LT1 with tranny for about 3500...

www.fbodymotorsports.com
THESpidey Duo is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:03 PM #15
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA
 
Twenty4/7_Ep3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: IL,nw AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
have you converted a manual to an automatic?
yes.
__________________
ST:F Come at me bro
ST:A because racecar
1996 Civic Race
1992 Civic Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:07 PM #16
FusorFodder
Social Engineer
 
FusorFodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
FusorFodder is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
As far as engine, look for something that starts with the letters "LS" - you'll be happy
__________________
There is no such thing as overkill, there is only "I need to reload"


Feedback is here
FusorFodder is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:31 PM #17
Captain Morgan (Banned)
Sailing the High Seas
 
Captain Morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4/7_Ep3
yes.
how long did it take you and how much did you spend?
Captain Morgan is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:44 PM #18
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA
 
Twenty4/7_Ep3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: IL,nw AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
how long did it take you and how much did you spend?
we did it on my friends hatch project. only thing we had to do was cut out the floor using a template that came with the rsx shifter box adapter that was 50 bucks. ran the cables. wallah.
__________________
ST:F Come at me bro
ST:A because racecar
1996 Civic Race
1992 Civic Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:47 PM #19
Captain Morgan (Banned)
Sailing the High Seas
 
Captain Morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4/7_Ep3
we did it on my friends hatch project. only thing we had to do was cut out the floor using a template that came with the rsx shifter box adapter that was 50 bucks. ran the cables. wallah.
have any pics?
Captain Morgan is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:48 PM #20
AutoMaggot
 
 
AutoMaggot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
AutoMaggot is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
It's voila.
AutoMaggot is offline  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 PM #21
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA
 
Twenty4/7_Ep3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: IL,nw AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
have any pics?
none that show the work. i have a pic of the inside that has his 5speed center counsole sitting there lol. the rsx box isnt in yet in the pic.
__________________
ST:F Come at me bro
ST:A because racecar
1996 Civic Race
1992 Civic Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump