PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-22-2005, 08:41 PM #1
hothead2

hothead2 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Unhappy Apparently my muffler is illegal.

I own a 1997 Honda Del Sol, and bought it used and have owned it for approximatly two and half years. I'm driving home tonight, and I get pulled over because my muffler makes more noise then the stock one. I had bought it like this over two years ago, and have gone through two state inspections and this is the first time anyone tells me this.

So ST, I need an education on mufflers. Do they effect emissions rates at all? What are some potential problems with installing a new one? How can I tell if one is going to be silent? I see alot on ebay going for around $20-$30 but I don't want to install a new one and have it be a problem aswell.
ping-pong
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2005, 08:46 PM #2
adgergewh

Pretty much anything not factory on your car can be ticketed.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:47 PM #3
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I don't know what type of muffler you have, the cop could just be a dick. But I do know that the stock muffler would be guaranteed to pass any test the state wants to put on it.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 12-22-2005, 08:49 PM #4
hothead2

Oh yes, the cop said "The problem isn't the muffler, but the noise it makes." So is their a way to reduce the noise on the muffler? I'll see if I can find a camera to take pics of it.

I didn't get a ticket, so that is good.
ping-pong
Old 12-22-2005, 08:54 PM #5
ICB(In Cold Blood)
The Mastodon

ICB(In Cold Blood) is a Supporting Member
lol, **** them.

A cop pulled over a buddy of mine when he was comming into work. He said that his exaust on his Ford Powerstroke was to loud. Granted it is a 4" straight pipe from the turbo back, but it's not that bad. He got off w/ a warning and went on his way, he won't change it.

Old Feedback 40 Posotive, 0 Negative
Old 12-22-2005, 09:03 PM #6
hothead2

Pics...

Ya, I was thinking the same thing ICB for a while. A lot of the time cops will pull over for little stuff to try and get something bigger. It gives them an excuse to look in your car.
ping-pong
Old 12-22-2005, 09:04 PM #7
stupidity
mow muppets

it is now agaist emmisions on any car '96 and newer. the exhast system cannot be modified from its stock form. i had to take a class on all these new emissons testings and stuff....

Feedback
Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 PM #8
HaVoK baLL3r
Playin' since the Y2K

Apparently in NY, anything thats added noise to the exhaust is illegal. But they dont really ticket for it unless the cop is a homo.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 PM #9
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidity
it is now agaist emmisions on any car '96 and newer. the exhast system cannot be modified from its stock form. i had to take a class on all these new emissons testings and stuff....
a cat back exhaust does not harm emissions at all...you can't change anything forward the cat...thats the law..

the car has to be 50k+ or have a defective cat to be touched legally...and its needs to be replaced with another cat
Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 PM #10
iMmOrTaLiTy

iMmOrTaLiTy is playing at Living Legends III
iMmOrTaLiTy is playing at Living Legends V
iMmOrTaLiTy is playing at Living Legends VI
iMmOrTaLiTy is playing at Living Legends VII
Hothead he can't do that unless he used a DB tester on it to see how loud it was. He most likely gave you a fix-it ticket if anything, and you have to take it in to get it checked and then show the court that it is below the legal highest db limit. I doubt it's really loud. Try to stay around 2500 rpm or less. Cops are ridiculous about that stuff they don't pull over super loud domestics that make your ears burn but they pull over anyone with an import and an aftermarket muffler. Some ricers need to be pulled over though.

CCM T2

Bob Long G6R

Trader Feedback
Old 12-22-2005, 09:16 PM #11
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMmOrTaLiTy
Cops are ridiculous about that stuff they don't pull over super loud domestics that make your ears burn but they pull over anyone with an import and an aftermarket muffler. Some ricers need to be pulled over though.

i got nailed ...now its as loud as it was before and a cop ok'd it...wtf...stupid swine
Old 12-22-2005, 09:18 PM #12
iMmOrTaLiTy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue69camaro383
i got nailed ...now its as loud as it was before and a cop ok'd it...wtf...stupid swine
It depends what kind of mood the cops are in. They shouldn't be able to give the tickets without testing it. It's ridiculous and unfair. Also I don't see them giving tickets to motorcycles for it. They should have to.

CCM T2

Bob Long G6R

Trader Feedback
Old 12-22-2005, 09:28 PM #13
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
It depends what kind of mood the cops are in. They shouldn't be able to give the tickets without testing it. It's ridiculous and unfair. Also I don't see them giving tickets to motorcycles for it. They should have to.
he was also noting the tint on my T-TOPS was a little dark...i should have argued with him more so he'd make me take the tint off...then the city could have bought me a new set
Old 12-22-2005, 09:30 PM #14
hothead2

Quote:
Yes! I hate when motorcycles will ride by, and you can hear it from inside my house.
ping-pong
Old 12-22-2005, 09:33 PM #15
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothead2
Yes! I hate when motorcycles will ride by, and you can hear it from inside my house.
but that is ok... ...they let that slide here because most of the turds ride harleys

Last edited by blue69camaro383 : 12-22-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:36 PM #16
iMmOrTaLiTy

Blue change that word because it's avoiding the swear filter and some dousch might report you.

Yeah I hate them though. I can hear them over everything cackling in my ear and junk when my window's down and I wish I could just throw metal rods between their spokes and take them out. I also get mad because they think they own the road. I really don't understand how their exhausts aren't illegal. Oh well.

CCM T2

Bob Long G6R

Trader Feedback
Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 PM #17
hothead2

" 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a motor vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(Code 1950, 46-305; 1952, c. 455; 1956, c. 651; 1958, c. 541, 46.1-301; 1960, c. 120; 1970, c. 266; 1972, c. 66; 1989, c. 727.)"
- Source

Now does "An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make." mean what the cop said? That this means that an exhaust system can not exceed the noise of the stock manufactured part? Also I need to find out what exactly "excessive or unusual noise" means.
ping-pong
Old 12-22-2005, 09:41 PM #18
turtleman321

yeah i hate motorcycles my nieghbor has one and in the summer at like 5 in the morning he sits there and revs it up for like 15 minutes before he leaves every morning
Old 12-22-2005, 09:44 PM #19
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
Blue change that word because it's avoiding the swear filter and some dousch might report you.

Yeah I hate them though. I can hear them over everything cackling in my ear and junk when my window's down and I wish I could just throw metal rods between their spokes and take them out. I also get mad because they think they own the road. I really don't understand how their exhausts aren't illegal. Oh well.

they are illegal because they remove the silencers from the exhaust...the coppers just dont pull them over
Old 12-22-2005, 09:46 PM #20
iMmOrTaLiTy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue69camaro383
they are illegal because they remove the silencers from the exhaust...the coppers just dont pull them over
<3 I know they're illegal but they never get pulled over for it it's retarded. I want to become a cop and pull over every single one.

hothead-the laws state that but then they also state that it has to be under a certain dB.

CCM T2

Bob Long G6R

Trader Feedback
Old 12-22-2005, 09:50 PM #21
blue69camaro383 (Banned)
Banned

Quote:
<3 I know they're illegal but they never get pulled over for it it's retarded. I want to become a cop and pull over every single one.

hothead-the laws state that but then they also state that it has to be under a certain dB.
i stumped a state boy one day...he claimed my exhaust was illegal and was going to write me a defective exhaust ticket and make me change it...i asked him if he was an expert on this type of car and asked if he knew what kind of exhaust was on the car...he couldn't answer...i left with a seat belt ticket

his way to justify giving me a ticket was to have me rev the motor to 6k... duh...its going to be loud...he claimed the car was loud on the highway when i was going to work...i was in overdrive getting 1400-1500rpms out of the car at 70mph...no way is any car going to be loud when its almost "idling"