PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-05-2005, 11:56 AM #1
Apocalyptic
Hot Dog

has been a member for 10 years
The future of Regulation: EVLOVE PI (on Ion)

Alright I said I would do a decent review but for the time being this will have to do forgive me because it's not up to par for a proper review!

Alright, I ordered my EVOLVE PI regulator from PBwarehouse some time ago had some boarder problems (the mail system hates me) but in the got the reg no problem after it being resent by PBW.

*Side note on Paintball Warehouse* Amazing, best store I have dealt with to date. I received several e-mails from them for any question I had. They even checked up on me to make sure that I got my reg without any problems, e-mailed me even through the holidays (US Thanks Giving I believe) and made damn sure I got what I was looking for... (Although I was missing the foot of Macro line I had paid for )

On to the reg, the overall quality when I look at the packaging is great. It is packaged in a Fat boy 100rnd pod wrapped in bubble wrap included are the instructions + rebuild kit + shims to change it from LP - HP. SWEET...

The reg itself is completely flawless it looks and feels as if it was made out of Titanium all the parts are machined completely perfectly. The anno is also crisp black with no missed spots very even.

So equipment
-Evolve PI
-SP Ion WITH Clippard QEV and Black Heart Board
- ACI Bulldogg III HP 68/4500 (custom rebuild so it actually works very very well unlike most I know it's also very heavy but that’s a side note )

Performance... Screwed in the reg for the first time with the screw in all the way (as per manual) slowly increased pressure on my ION <- This is why this is relevant in the ion forum<- turned pressure up until it was shooting flawless... then sprung a leak... *NOTE LEAK WAS MY FAULT didn't loctite the 90* well enough ) scared you all didn't I

Over the chrono the first batch of balls..... 290, 291, 290, 292, 289, 290, 291 (it's 100% brand new what do you expect, so +-3 for the first I would say 400-600 rounds)
AFTER approx 600 balls.... 290, 290, 290, 291, 290, 289, 290... (This is a $65 regulator right!!!)

My EXACT pressure is very hard to tell I do not currently have a nice large Arch soft gauge on me... With the BHB shooting 20bps ramp Dwell 14 (I find this most consistent at the moment) constantly I could not get the gun to have any shoot down whatsoever... NONE it shot 100% perfect the entire time all the way through the 4000psi in the tank... every ball is almost dead on the last consistancy...

To put this side by side to my other regulators I used an Eurgo(sp?) reg that was +-3fps which I thought was pretty darn good before not as good as this.. Also used a Sidewinder that was +-2fps probably about as good but it cost me at the time like $120 so not even as close as good in the end as to $65 for the same or better performance.

I know the review sort of blows... But I’m waiting to get my busted tooth fixed at 11am so this is a time killer...

I have pics... I am Hosting retarded so if anybody wants me to e-mail them to them to see or host them for me that’s cool! I'll learn how to host probably Wed night after work/school!

Any Q's as always shoot em my way I will either answer right away or find it for you!
*5.1 Element Ion*Custom Nasty Typhoon

RAMPING IS NOT A SPORT,
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2005, 12:33 PM #2
JoeT

290, 290, 290, 291, 290, 289, 290

Man that's nice. Waiting for the pics when you find a host. I use Image Shack cause it's free and easy. If it doesn't have a gauge how can you tell what your pressure is or if you are under the ion's limit of 200 psi? Can it be added? I guess you could just turn it up and start chrono'ing it like every other marker without a gauge. I have been spoiled now to getting within a few shots of 280fps just by the stock gauge.

Last edited by JoeT : 12-05-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:37 PM #3
Apocalyptic
Hot Dog

I have the ****tey SP gauge on it... pressure is around 150ish... I'll take a look around for a better gauge.. But i'm not sure if anybody around here has one...

It really does shoot as well as they said it does... Then again I wouldn't expect much less from Evolve depending on how soar and bitter I am I might get a Host tonight... I'll have to see what kind of mood i'm in...

RAMPING IS NOT A SPORT,
Old 12-05-2005, 12:59 PM #4
Psychoz

newbie question, for the ION you use the Low Pressure regulator right? I just want to make sure.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:08 PM #5
fdjizm
O.G

fdjizm is a Supporting Member
sneaky noobs jeeez get in anywhere dont u...whats the maintenance like on this evolve reg.. i know my aka 2 liter+ is a ***** because i have to lube it threw my a-5 since is uses oil, i assume the evolve uses dow..?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 PM #6
DyeTex

I would like to see that Reg on an Ion. If and when you post those pics, please include one of it on the gun. That would be nice. I hope this Reg is good, I have been looking at different ones and this was one I was considering buying in the near future. Let us know if you see any issues.

DyeTex
Old 12-05-2005, 01:20 PM #7
AntiHero47
ultionis unus

So you can get a LP one, for the ION. And included are the things to make it HP you say? So it is technically switchable. If that is the case, i do believe i would pick one of these up. I am currently using the IONs Stock regulator.

Some Details from the main site.

"Evolve PI Regulator
· Truly Balanced technology
· First of its kind spool design on a regulator
· Recharges @ 60+ times per second
· Unmatched consistency
· Extremely high flow rate (6mm downstream flow channel)
· Low and easy maintenance
· Zero Shootdown! It is impossible to have shootdowns with this reg period!
· UK & US Patent Pending

Includes:
· Extra rebuild orings
· Extra Shims (for raising max output)
· Comprehensive owners manual

What's does truly balanced mean?
If you ever swap from a HP tank to a LP on your marker, often times, you will notice the set pressure on your HPR can drop to as much as 25psi. This shows that it is possible for a regulator that has not achieved true balance can be affected by input pressure. With a patented pending spool design, the engineers at Evolve were able to produce a regulator that stays at your preset pressure no matter how badly the reg on your tank fluctuates.

And because of its inherent design, Evolve was also able to increase its downstream flow channel, making it impossible to starve your marker (even the illegal ones) and never experience shootdowns.

Low Pressure
The LP is mainly for Ions and Shockers. It is designed to vent when output pressure reaches above 200psi to prevent any damage to the solenoid since they do not have an LPR to regulate it.

High Pressure
The HP has an operating range of 0-400psi which is suitable for most markers such as DM3/4/5/6/C, Intimidators, and EGOs. To distinguish the two, the HP has a horizontal groove running on the mid section of the body while the LP doesn't."

Black and Gold stuck in the world of Blue and White

Go Steelers!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:04 PM #8
Psychoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm
sneaky noobs jeeez get in anywhere dont u
damn straight and if you don't like it, oh well, I really don't care
Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM #9
Devilstar2k2

Devilstar2k2 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
sneaky noobs jeeez get in anywhere dont u...whats the maintenance like on this evolve reg.. i know my aka 2 liter+ is a ***** because i have to lube it threw my a-5 since is uses oil, i assume the evolve uses dow..?
Same with my Sidewinder... Gotta use a Spyder for it, such a pain...
Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 PM #10
Apocalyptic
Hot Dog

Quote:
-I would say dow... it actually says here in the manual to just "relube" the lube in it right now i'm pretty sure is a dow like (Probably the Evolve slick honey)

-Also YES you can change it from HP to LP VERY VERY easily I havn't used it on my cocker yet sence my E2 is not here yet... But I took it apart already couldn't help myself...

-AntiHero thanks for posting the specs

-Also ekim said he would host pics for me so they should be up sometime soon! thanks again for that...

RAMPING IS NOT A SPORT,
Old 12-05-2005, 02:56 PM #11
IonJunkies (Banned)

IonJunkies is a Supporting Member
I've ordered mine!

Nice little boost, letting me know I made the right choice. Now I really cant wait till it comes in the mail.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:10 PM #12
Aerophyre

Whats the size of it compared to, say, a shorty cp?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:10 PM #13
Apocalyptic
Hot Dog

^^^ There are pics of it up a little bit... i would say it's almost the same though... god damn i'm soar

RAMPING IS NOT A SPORT,
Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 PM #14
Branwood
ALWAYS Rockin The Snake..

Branwood is a Supporting Member
pics!!
~~~~~NDZ QEV, CP Rail/On:OFF~~~~~
Old 12-05-2005, 04:48 PM #15
Adrenaline_Junkie! (Banned)

Its good to see a review on it and even better to see thats its positive. Ill be picking one up for my ion here really soon.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 PM #16
ballin with a MAG
Back from the ban.. again

Same here Adrenaline. I wanna see some pics on it though. That would be great.

Catch me on AIM - Paintball300ex
Old 12-05-2005, 04:58 PM #17

Yeah, some pics would be nice. I dont really care if it looks all that great though to be honest. As long as it performs better than my gladiator (which wont be easy) ill give up some looks.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:07 PM #18
(--)

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

i ordered my pi regulator for christmas(my mom's getting it for me)b4 i read this and i'm jumping for joy.........!!!!

i'll give a little review also when i get mine

all $1000+ gun users get used to it
Old 12-05-2005, 05:08 PM #19

Other than its consistancy i LOVE the fact itll bleed pressure if you go above 200 psi. Ive never had any probs adjusting my pressure and stuff but this feature should be on every reg so kids dont do stupid stuff and break things.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:10 PM #20
Stupidbassboy

yeah that looks like it should flow with the frame nicely.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 PM #21
Clutchman
Alfred De Los Santos

Clutchman is a Supporting Member
Clutchman is a Professional paintball player
Clutchman plays in the PSP
Clutchman plays in the APPA D1 division
looks a lil wierd but hey its consitency is amazing for so cheap