PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-03-2001, 11:26 PM #1
Paintsomeone

has been a member for 10 years
Bords and lp mod setup

Im thinking about tradeing my ripper cocker for a timmy and i want to know a few things about them first.
1 what is the 1.4.3 bord and what is the 2.0.1B bord? is one of them the sob bord?
2i think i read that you need to have a high end set up if your going to use the lp mod? is that true? i was planing on useing a akalmp sidewinder reg on it. would that work well?
3 is the lp mod something that i really need to do? and what are the beifits of doing the lp mod?
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2001, 09:53 AM #2
Vern1
Timmy - WooHoo!!

Vern1 is a Supporting Member
Vern1 is a founding member
Vern1 helped look for balloons
Greetings,
1.4.3 is standard issue multi mode board
2.0.1B is Semi Only Board
The sidewinder is a good reg if you want to do LP mod.
The LP mod will decrease the operating perssure hitting the balls.
You can shoot very brittle paint with this.
You also get a quieter marker, with less kick.
The real advantage is no shootdown at extremely high rates of fire.
The standard HP setup will start to drop off after a little while due to air starvation during extremely high rates of fire.
Since most folks never go over the standard 14BPS cap with the 1.4.3 board, it's not really an issue.
Being a back player myself and having to shoot long strings at very high rate of fire, it works for me.
If you set the marker up right and use a barrel with a good paint match AND not a lot of porting, it will perform very well.
The point of not a lot of porting is:
With the LP mod, the ball is accellerating down the barrel for a while. When it reaches the porting section of the barrel, the air escapes and is not accellerating the ball anymore.
You will have to increase your pressure to get your chrono speed with a lot of ports.
A lot of folks overlook this simple fact when they do the LP mod and turn their markers into gas hogs.
We get over 850 shots at 290 FPS out of a 68/3000 tank with a properly setup LP mod.
Folks that only get 500 shots out of a 114/3000 need to tune their markers or give it to someone who can!
Petty Paintball - www.pettypb.com
Old 08-05-2001, 10:46 AM #3
Crisfofusu
"Crackhead"

whoa... thats goodly info vern

i, too, am pondering hard about a timmy... right now I am goin with a timmy and a macdev gladiator reg... i've seen plenty timmy owners with glads...

can you advise on a solid aftermarket barrel? i was gonna splurge on a boomie but dont know if i should now... (both cause of cost and your comment about the LP mod)... so whats another barrel I can look at?

oh, and thanks

It's not what you shoot, it's what you hit.

CountyPaintball - PaintballKingdom - G3PB
Old 08-05-2001, 11:52 AM #4
Paintsomeone

Vern thankx a lot that really helps. would a freak be a ok barrel to use with the lp mod?
Old 08-05-2001, 06:26 PM #5
Vern1
Timmy - WooHoo!!

Vern1 is a Supporting Member
Vern1 is a founding member
Vern1 helped look for balloons
Greetings,
As for barrels, we have had good luck with the CP one and two piece barrels.
Morphious and I have a couple of early CP one piece .689 bore barrels that continue to be our favorites and work exceptionally well with LP.
These were some of the first barrels CP built and only have ports on the last 1 3/4" of the barrel unlike the current models which have holes on the last 4 or 5 inches.
For the two piece ones, we like the .689 back and the front that makes a 14" total length.
They seem to shoot as good or better than anything else we have used and also work well with LP.
They are available with .685, .689, and .693 backs and fronts to make a 10, 12, 14 or 16 total length.
The 32 Degree Carbon Fiber is showing promise also, but hasn't been tested enough to make it into the "Favorite 6 barrel bag" we each carry to tourneys.
As for the freek, we have not personally shot them, so I can't give you an honest opinion on them.
If I haven't shot or tested it, I won't blow smoke up your behind about it based on hype.
We have Boomies, Stock ones, J&Js, Armson Stealths, 32 Degree Carbon Fibers, Smart Part Teardrops and a few home made barrels and the old CP one and two piece barrels keep ending up on the markers!
Petty Paintball - www.pettypb.com
Old 08-05-2001, 06:45 PM #6
Paintsomeone

Vern thankx a lot man
Old 08-05-2001, 09:58 PM #7
Crisfofusu
"Crackhead"

thats great info vern... i think justpaintball.com has CP barrels for $42... I guess I can buy a cocker CP barrel and slap it on the timmy with no probs...

It's not what you shoot, it's what you hit.

CountyPaintball - PaintballKingdom - G3PB