PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-03-2005, 04:45 PM #1
pfnpb2x

The Difference between 05 and 06 Interceptor

What's the difference between the 05 and 06 Interceptor? I know the 05 has better reg and barrel. And I know th 06 comes with an ASA. I know the colors are different too. But is that it? Is the 06 lighter or more air efficient or any other way better? Or is it like the exact same body just newer?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2005, 08:54 PM #2
GrimSlayer

GrimSlayer plays in the APPA D4 division
nothing really
Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 AM #3
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
The '05 was built as a top quality tournament gun, very tight tolerances. I had to cut the price to $595. A lot of players seem to like that price range. The tolerances won't be as tight on the '06. BUT the meat on the body around the ram is thicker and most everything is a little bigger. So if you want a gun for tournaments AND you will care for it like a top quality gun get one of the few '05 I still have. BUT never play with it when one of the screws on the ram are loose, don't even think about playing with it if the screw under the trigger has fallen out. Use at least mid grade paint. It' a top quality gun - I think the best available, care for it.
OR
The chamber is a few thou bigger on the '06. Great for players who uses paint that are more often out of round. The back is a bit bigger but it will take more abuse. One screw missing? Take care of it before the next time you play, but go ahead and play. The wire passages are bigger and easier to align the wires for guys who have more thumbs than fingers. A little more play around the bolt for those guys who want to play without ever cleaning their stuff.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 AM #4
sniper zero
Rea[P]er

so, the '05 is a better performer, is smaller/lighter?

Reaper_X
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 AM #5
Jack Rice

The better performer - when the bolt is clean, maybe a bit of silicone sprayed on, when everything is tightened down but not over tightened. AND this is it not something a player will notice unless he is shooting both side by side and really really tying to see. We were shooting a metal pole about an inch across at a hundred feet and trying to see which would hit it more often. Get either of my guns and get an EGO and try that! Read the new Review in PB2X. PB2X shot it at targets at 190 feet away. These are not accuracy measurements that other guns can compete in.

The two models are - by even careful measurements - the same, except we loosened the '06 up a bit. A dirty bolt slides a little easier... I hate to mislead anyone so when someone posts that they are the same I can't agree by saying nothing. But that doesn't mean that one is "better" than the other. For the top tournament player we have the Remains and spent the money so that it would shoot the best it could. Yes, we spent less to make the '06, but it's the best value in paintball AND if you don't clean your equipment except at the end of every season - you'll do better with the '06. If your a truck driver then buy a truck, don't get a sports car if you're not going to tune it up or if your going off roading.

We made the '06 about three-eights of an inch longer to make it easier to fit things in the grip frame. Probably weighs the same because we took a little metal off the body, but added a bit inside the grip frame to hold the battery. We arenít talking an ounce either way.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 AM #6
sniper zero
Rea[P]er

thanks for the reply - been looking into the interceptors for a month or so now - sounds like they're great guns - i hoped to shoot one at my field b4 it closed, but have yet to find someone with an alien up my way

oh, and do you know if the '06 will be availible in december/january? looking to get one before spring

Reaper_X
Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 AM #7
Exit Wounds
doesn't play paintball.

I hope nobody buys out the last 05's before my bro can get his hands on one
Old 12-09-2005, 08:06 AM #8
MagicBuss

sniper,

Go up to Wizard in Hooksett, NH. A few of the guys there own '05's and Brett is the NE tech.

Hoping to having a gret to black fade soon.

MagicBuss
NEXL

PB Nation Feed Back
Old 12-10-2005, 09:12 PM #9
bustacap (Banned)
Team Rendition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimSlayer
nothing really
Lol. After Jack just said. lmao.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:57 PM #10
ikey

has been a member for 10 years
so basically what your saying is that the 05s are more finicky and will be more likely to have something go wrong compared to teh 06? basically what ive read is that you took the 05 and made it more relaible. so.....who wouldnt want an 06? (plus dont they come with new grips, and eye covers with an integrated lpr?)
Old 12-23-2005, 02:13 PM #11
Exit Wounds
doesn't play paintball.

Hey Ikey, I remember you from pbr, its TC.

Anyways, I agree with you there for the most part, but theres something about having one gun in a run of 200 or so that's special (imo). And its true the performance difference of the 06 itself is minor, but the 05 comes with a better reg.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:58 PM #12
Jack Rice

I only have a few of the '05 left anyway, but I have stated just as completely as I can the differences, if I could say it in a 10 word sentence I would.
However it is the Remains that comes with the integrated LPR and the lighter body. The '06 weighs the same, we took off a little of the swoop design but it is about 3/8 of an inch longer - everything is easier to get to and the spring tension is adjustable from the top, just take out the bolt.
Mostly I agree with Exit Wounds in that I feel that having one of the first 200 is kind of cool, but know yourself. If you don't take care of your stuff, get a '06 Interceptor. If you want the newest and lightest and you take care of you stuff by all means get the Remains. If you take care and you want to spend $595 instead of $895 - or you want the first run of the best paintball marker ever built (I say that dripping with modesty) get a '05
Old 12-24-2005, 01:08 PM #13
bunkerd103
Reefers

Jack, i have a chance at getting an 05 Interceptor local at Paintball Wizard up here in NH(i believe you know a few of the guys there?). I take care of my stuff very very well, lube after every day of play, full cleaning and I really baby my gear. Is it worth it for me to just buy one of the 05s from them (i think they have 2) or should i just get the 06 from you once they become available. Like Exit Wounds said, having an 05 would be cool seeing as it was on of the first 200. I'd just like some input please. Either way i will own an Interceptor. Also cant i just put the new bolt into the 05 if i wanted to? I just dont want to be stuck having to clean my bolt after a game from me sliding into a bunker.
building block of the universe. - Frank Zappa

Last edited by bunkerd103 : 12-24-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:08 PM #14
Jack Rice

Bolts are interchangeable, just that in middle is now nylon instead of aluminum. Nothing lost by having '05 bolt, you just might want to get the '06 when it coames out.
By all means get an '05 and support your local store.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:21 PM #15
bunkerd103
Reefers

Thanks for the reply Jack. I will probably just end up getting the 05 local and then buy the 06 bolt once it comes out. Also is the only difference with the bolt the weight now that the middle is nylon instead of the aluminum? Is it easier on brittle paint? I'm assuming there's less kick because it is lighter too right?
building block of the universe. - Frank Zappa

Old 12-24-2005, 03:42 PM #16
Jack Rice

This is for everybody. Don't make too much of the difference in the bolt. Yes it weighs less, but that it is noticable in playing is saying a lot. You can tell the diffrence but you won't notice the difference. I don't think it is any easier on the paint. I don't think the bolt has anything to do with paint breakage. Less is moving the ball than with a full face on the front of a "regular" bolt, but the hopper has very little moving the ball and it doesn't break paint - except in the case of Halos and that is when they stop fast after a stream.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:35 PM #17
sniper zero
Rea[P]er

so does the interceptor not like halos as much as say an egg?

Reaper_X
Old 12-25-2005, 08:14 PM #18
Jack Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper zero
so does the interceptor not like halos as much as say an egg?
Nothing I said made any statement about Halos vs anybody else.
Halos can break paint when they stop too fast. Maybe then it could be said that Halos like pump guns better. I shoot both Eggs and Halos - got the new Volecity (for my Son for Christmas) no problem and I shoot a blinding 8 or 9 bps.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:12 PM #19
Exit Wounds
doesn't play paintball.

The only time Halos cause breaks is when you try to fire when the loader is nearly empty and it lauches paintballs down the raceway at high speeds. The remedy is simply to reload before this happens.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:53 PM #20
ikey

has been a member for 10 years
ok, so im still not convinced to buy an 05. i like how the 06 is more reliable (im not saying i dont take care of my stuff but im saying its less likely for it to screw up due to being less tempermental to the sligtest bit of dirt or mistreatment), and i like the external spring tention, and new eye covers, and the 06 grips, i think the 05 grips look cheap (but props on the 06 ones, they kinda remind me of the new angel grips with the designs on tehm). however how good is the 06 reg? and why would you want the new 06 model to have a not as good reg compared to the previous model? and what do you mean when you say you got rid of some of the swoop system?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:50 PM #21
Exit Wounds
doesn't play paintball.

I think "swoop design" refers to the curve of the 05 snatch grip, which is flat on the 06, and shouldn't be confused with "sweep."