PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-28-2005, 08:59 PM #1
The Puma King
I once raped a little boy

As my car progresses. 56K Will DIE!!!!

Here are some pics of my 1990 240sx SE Fastback. So far its coming along nicely and I'm very pleased with the progress I'm making. So far I got kouki tails, S13 front, Megan Racing Street Coilovers, a bit of weight reduction with some stripping of interior, cleaned up a bit of wiring that were useless, removed every A/C component in the car, heater is gone, replumbed heater hoses from the motor, 16x8 Forgeline RS wheels weigh 11lbs. wrapped in Falken Ziex ZE 512s Y Rated 225/50R16 all around. Still A lot of work to do, KA24E took a **** on me so swappin the new motor soon along with the new standalone Megasquirt. Sorry for some of the quality issues of the pics my Digi cam is also taking a **** on me oh well Nikon D50 here I come soon. :heyhey

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2005, 09:08 PM #2
drummerjamesh

has been a member for 10 years
a little inside gutting huh? looks like a good start though man, what motor you putting in there now?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:19 PM #3
CHOMFY
omgwtfbbqwrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjamesh
a little inside gutting huh? looks like a good start though man, what motor you putting in there now?
I'm gonna take a stab here and say an sr20det
Old 11-28-2005, 09:29 PM #4
Mr. Clark
I <3 Your Mom

Looks good.

Im currently looking at dumping a b18 into a civic, but we will see.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:37 PM #5
The Puma King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOMFY
I'm gonna take a stab here and say an sr20det
Nah cant stand SR20 nothing special about them and way overprice. I'm throwing a CA18DET, custom piping, Front Mount Intercooler, Custom Exhaust, and a couple of extra features. I cant wait.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:04 PM #6
freestyle141
Because Racecar

freestyle141 is playing at Living Legends VI
looks sweet keep updating

CCM gloss red s6.5 #40
Dangerous Power Fusion FX
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 AM #7
Mustang7302
has been here too long

Mustang7302 is a founding member
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
How about a QR25DE w/ a Turbo hanging off the side? A Torque monster from hell that'll make 300HP easy. Or put a set of rods and pistons in it and make damn near as much power as you want.

Only tough part wrould be finding a tranny to mate to it. As far as I know the QR is a FWD only plateform.

Never been a fan of switching to a smaller motor. Would a VQ35DE fit in there? A guy dropped one into a Spec V w/ a Maxima bell houseing and fabbed some adapters to make a 12 second car (12.9 @ 106MPH) befor any kind of mods to the motor. Something else to think about.

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."
Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 AM #8
sirsaechao

What are you going to do with that big dent on the side? Unless it is there for some aerodynamic that I don't know about.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 AM #9
Scoty2Hottyv2
<(^^,)>

rb20det ftw. but the ca18 isn't bad either.

RPI Paintball
Old 11-29-2005, 11:31 AM #10
d1ck3r
SuPz, AsK Me AboUt DriFT

everything i hear about the ca18det is bad.

i'd just get a ka24de and turbo that if i were you

PSN ID: D1ckerDeVille
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 PM #11
thepbkid
Cool as crap

Would it be possible (with extensive modding, I'm sure) to throw a VQ30DETT in there? Cause that would be frickin amazing. Would the size of the engine even fit into the engine bay? Not to mention you'd have to change everything from FWD to RWD. It just seems like it'd be cool cause the engines built for the 300ZX which is a larger car, but throwing it in a smaller car might really crank out some good numbers. Assuming it's even possible.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:32 PM #12
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

240 is rear-wheel, chief.

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:36 PM #13
mtnbiker4life99
rawwwwwr

screw it go no expenses spared and get the rb26dett
Old 11-29-2005, 01:53 PM #14
levinax

levinax is a Supporting Member
levinax helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang7302
Never been a fan of switching to a smaller motor. Would a VQ35DE fit in there? A guy dropped one into a Spec V w/ a Maxima bell houseing and fabbed some adapters to make a 12 second car (12.9 @ 106MPH) befor any kind of mods to the motor. Something else to think about.
i saw that car on thevboards. that thing was sick.

if a VQ35 would fit in there... i would definately say go for that.
but the rb26dett is really nice too.

keep us updated
Old 11-29-2005, 02:33 PM #15
minime

minime is a founding member
Any engine you can imagine has been put into a 240. vg30det, vq35, ls1, 302, and a titan vk56de swap is in the process right now.

Flex 7 F/S

Old 11-29-2005, 09:12 PM #16
The Puma King

To answer your questions lets take a stab at it.

Mustang7302 - Havent really done much searching on the QR25DE and for some reason Nissan FWD dont mate well with RWD vehicles but amazingly a lot of the RWD motors mate perfectly to FWD application aint that some ****.

Sirsaechao - The dent isnt as bad as the picture makes it seem, but to fix it I will try to tap it out as best I can and prep the area with some bondo or some type of filler possibly lead? Anyone?

Scotty2Hotty2 - RB20DET are fun and nice motors, but unfortunatly little problems plague it such as overheating issues and Nissan messed up the wiring so theirs a bit of electrical problems. Also I cant justify putting a heavy *** motor with not much of a power gain. With the CA18DET which weighs 380lbs with tranny I shave off 200lbs from the stock 240sx setup and I get decent power. RB20, SR20 have around the same figures aboutb 200hp at the flywheel but the RB20 has a little bit more torque, now the CA18DET has 175hp and 168 ft/lbs of torque, with the SR T25 turbo I can achieve the same numbers as a SR20, RB20 hp wise while being a little more torquier than the SR20 all for $150. I'm pretty sure the RB motors weigh over 500lbs b/c the stock KA24DE weigh 520lbs with the tranny.

d1ck3r - the CA18DET is probably one of the best motors that nissan has ever created, the problems some people have encountered with CA's is actually just the turbo going out, or something stupid like human error like people trying to max out stock equipment like MAF, Injectors etc etc thats about it, you never hear about a CA blowing, etc etc also the CA was well designed that nissan actually took the same concept and technology and put it into their super motors for example the VG30DETT(300zx Twin Turbo and N/A Z32) has the same features and head design as the CA, the RB20DET, RB25DET, RB26DETT (Motors in Skylines) are pretty much super CA's, even the KA24DE shares some characteristics of the CA and a bit of the SR.

Thepbkid - Theirs a saying that goes around, you can do anything you want as long as you have the money. Their have been a few who have put VQ35DE(TT) to be honest dont get me wrong the VQ35DE is a sick *** motor but the cost to put one of those in is so much that for the same money could have a CA18DET doing 500whp with ease and redling at 10,000rpms. The VG30DE is fairly easy to put in because its a V6 so its 3 cylinders long as oppose to a I4, only thing about the VG30DE is that you need to make custom parts to make it fit b/c it just doesnt bolt in, also one thing to think about is weight the 240sx has a amazing weight balance I believe with the KA24DE it has a 52/48 weight balance and when I put the CA18DET in it will be around 50.1/49.9 not to mention the car will have gone from 2700 lb car to a sky under 2400 lb I did some weight reduction inside the car and in the engine bay.

mntbiker4life99 - if only life was that easy and money wasnt a problem. I cant justify spending $5000 on a motor, plus money to make custom parts or pay $1300 for custom brackets from Mckinney and converting the harness isnt as easy or cheap as well your looking at a easy $8000-$12,000 for the motor swap depending if you do most your work or if a shop does it. Also again RB motors arent light you might as well go with a LS1 you get about the same power as the RB26DETT but far lighter and its NA so no turbo lag, but then again you dont really feel lag on the RB26 .

And for some people who say just turbo a KA24DE, the CA18DET can handle 500hp on the stock block, its not recommended but their have been several incidents where people just slapped a bigger turbo, upgrading fuel delivery system, bigger injectors, standalone, and a really good tuner with a few dyno runs, its like the "little engine that could"

Last edited by The Puma King : 11-29-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:18 PM #17
BlackMagyk
Now Twice The Flavor

An LS7 in that thing would let it run 10's easily. I've seen it happen.

Cal Bears

San Fransisco 49ers
Old 11-29-2005, 11:24 PM #18
veilsideskyline5
ECX Intimidator

ls1 all the way, not a 240 but worth watching http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17232

Last edited by veilsideskyline5 : 11-29-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:35 PM #19
golfer
IMAREALTUNERLOL

300 lbs is a big difference what did you all do to it?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 AM #20
The Puma King

well the CA18DET is the big weight difference about 200lbs, now dont forget the car has no Power Steering or A/C so all those components are gone and we all know some A/C **** weighs a good bit, I estimate we removed about 40lbs of A/C stuff like condenser, all the lines, cooling chamber, all vents, plumbing, interior A/C parts, and the compressor and bracket weigh about 25 lbs. A lot of the emissions crap is gone as well such as charcoal canister, a couple of vacuum lines, air filter emission crap, and some metal lines that led to some emissions stuff. Removed the Heater components and replumbed the Engine heater hoses. Alot of people dont realize the actual S13 front end weighs 30lbs less than the stock 240 front end. The bumper and hood weigh less but the big difference is the headlight, no motor and other parts so less weight. We gutted the rear removed some of the sound deadening tar and carpet. If you look at the dash pics you'll see on the firewall part theirs nothing on it because I removed about 40lbs of tar on their. If I truly stripped the car and removed the TAR completly b/c its a ***** to get off and reinforced some welds the car could weigh as low as 2250 lbs.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:31 AM #21
Azzkicka (Banned)

i love it when people remove "emissions stuff"