Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 PM #1
pur3evil
mmm... tastes like paint

pur3evil owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Lucky Board Review and Tech

Well, it finally arrived today! It took a week longer to ship out than it was supposed to, and then there was a "train delay," but it's finally here. Let me start off by saying WOW... if you were planning to get one, don't hesitate!! For now, I'm only using the Code X base chip, but it's still amazing.

The first thing I noticed out of the box... no installation instructions, whatsoever!! It had a sheet with instructions for programming the Code X chip, but nothing for the board. No big deal, I simply compared the pathways on the Lucky Board to the stock board, and came to the conclusion that it looked as if everything should be plugged into the same spot. Solenoid on top, then battery, then trigger switch, then blue eye wire, and finally the brown eye wire. Bingo. It works.

Another thing I had to figure out was the power button. The top button now turns on the marker when held down for a second or two. The bottom button turns the eyes on and off.

It was now time to play with the settings. Once again, the instruction sheet let me down. It included the basics, but left out some key points. It tells you how to access the settings menu, it tells you to pull and release the trigger to scroll through the settings menu, but it doesn't mention how to view or change each setting.

Let's start with the basics. The LED is a 6-color LED. With my Code X chip, it works as follows:
  • Green - Debounce - 0 to 50ms - 5ms default
  • Red - Dwell - 1 to 35ms - 18ms default
  • Blue - ROF - 11 to 25bps - 20bps default (can be capped or uncapped with eyes on)
  • Teal - Anti Mechanical Debounce - 1 to 40ms - 10ms default
  • Yellow - Ball in Place Delay - 1/2 to 40ms - 1ms default
  • Purple - Mode of Fire - 1 for Semi, 2 for NXL, 3 for PSP, and 4 for 60% ramping.
There are also four Dip-Switches on the board. The dip-switches control:
  • 1-ABS (anti bolt-stick)
  • 2-AMB (anti mechanical bounce)
  • 3-ROF Cap
  • 4-Settings menu and Tourney lock (When switched off, tourney lock is on and settings menu cannot be accessed).
So, say you want to set the Dwell to 8ms. First, you must access the settings menu. After making sure dipswitch #4 is on, turn the marker on while holding the trigger down. The board will turn on, wait a second, and then flash the LED through the color range. This indicates you have accessed the settings menu. You may then release the trigger. The LED will turn GREEN. This indicates you are on the Debounce setting.

To access the Dwell setting, press and release the trigger once. The LED will turn RED. You are now on the Dwell setting. To view the current setting, press and hold down the trigger. The LED will flash red 18 times to indicate the stock setting of 18ms. Release the trigger, then press and release it 8 times. If you allow the board to sit for a second, it will then flash the LED through the color range again. Your Dwell is now set to 8ms (1ms for each trigger pull).

It works the same with each of the settings, except for the Eye Delay. It is adjusted by 1/2ms for each trigger pull.

Once I had the board set, I put it in Semi to test it out. WOW! The trigger logic must be years ahead of the BD5 board. With the trigger adjusted exactly the same, I am able to walk it much faster. I believe the BD5 board was ignoring some of the trigger pulls, due to a high stock debounce setting (which isn't adjustable unless you have the BD5+ board). Others have mentioned this as well, but the difference blew me away!

I also had the marker fully cycling at 25bps on capped PSP mode.

For now, here's a quick video clip to demonstrate the settings menu for anybody who's confused:

SETTINGS MENU DEMO

Here's a short clip of the Wrath cycling at ~25cps in PSP mode. Keep in mind, the gauge extension on my Detonator is only there while I tune it (makes it looks REALLY long). I will remove it once the marker is set to play.

DRY FIRE AT ~25CPS IN CAPPED PSP MODE

And finally, the pictures:

-Howard

Last edited by pur3evil : 01-30-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:59 PM #2
viss22
Wrath

noice
Old 11-21-2005, 08:09 PM #3
jjdustr340
My son will bunker you.

jjdustr340 is a Moderator
jjdustr340 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
jjdustr340 posts videos on PbNation
jjdustr340 supports our troops
jjdustr340 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jjdustr340 is Legendary
Very good review. Thanks too for confirming for me that it does indeed have DIP switches. Thats about the only bad thing about it that I can see so far.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:12 PM #4
pur3evil
mmm... tastes like paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdustr340
Very good review. Thanks too for confirming for me that it does indeed have DIP switches. Thats about the only bad thing about it that I can see so far.
The dip-switches control:

1-ABS (anti bolt-stick)
2-AMB (anti mechanical bounce)
3-ROF Cap
4-Settings menu and Tourney lock (When switched off, tourney lock is on and settings menu cannot be accessed).

Most of the programming is done through the trigger. You don't need to access the dip-switch panel unless you're activating the cap, or turning no the tourney lock.

If you do need to access them... it's three screws to lift that grip panel. Not exactly difficult.

BTW, I added this info to the first post to make it a little easier to find.

-Howard

Last edited by pur3evil : 11-21-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:25 PM #5
ah_skeet (Banned)
Banned

good job
Old 11-21-2005, 08:34 PM #6
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is BST Legit
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
For those who want the link to the web site:

http://www.buyluckypaintball.com/ser...ucts+for+Wrath

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|Powered by EXALT
Old 11-21-2005, 08:35 PM #7
pur3evil
mmm... tastes like paint

Hahahah, thanks calvman! How could I have forgotten that!!

BTW, thanks for adding this to the sticky, but the link doesn't work right.

Last edited by pur3evil : 11-21-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:09 PM #8
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is BST Legit
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by pur3evil
Hahahah, thanks calvman! How could I have forgotten that!!

BTW, thanks for adding this to the sticky, but the link doesn't work right.
No problem. Good threads deserve to be in the sticky.

Fixed the formatting problem. Darn fat fingers.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|Powered by EXALT
Old 11-21-2005, 10:31 PM #9
mpjwc92

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvman
For those who want the link to the web site:

http://www.buyluckypaintball.com/ser...ucts+for+Wrath
Wait on that site is the Virtue chip an upgrade to the lucky Board, because if it is then it's $90.00 and the Virtue board itself is only $10 more, so in all wouldn't you just be paying $130 for a Virtue board.
NOTE: This is a question im not trying to flame or start anything in any way.

Last edited by mpjwc92 : 11-21-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:34 PM #10
ah_skeet (Banned)
Banned

basically, yes
Old 11-21-2005, 10:37 PM #11
mpjwc92

Well then that pretty much tells me that im just going to spend $100 and get the Virtue board, but this is a very good review none the less.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 PM #12
pur3evil
mmm... tastes like paint

From what I can tell, the Virtue board is almost exactly the same thing as the Lucky board, with a Virtue chip installed. So yes, if you want the Virtue programming, then the Virtue board is the way to go. However, I don't need all that fancy crap, so the Lucky board + Code X chip was perfect for me (and cheaper). However, if the Virtue board had been out when I ordered my Lucky board, I may have gone that way instead.

-Howard
Old 11-22-2005, 04:28 AM #13
pur3evil
mmm... tastes like paint

I've just updated the first post with a couple of short video clips, and a few pictures. Please check them out, and let me know what you think.

I'll try to get a video with air tomorrow, but I probably won't have time to go chrono it and get it set up for paint. Anyone wanna buy me a chrono for my birthday (Friday)?

-Howard
Old 11-22-2005, 06:05 AM #14
mpjwc92

Nice, thanks for the videos and pics, A++++++ job, but I still think might just go with the Virtue board because if I got the Lucky board that's the software I would upgrade to anyways, but it if the Virtue chip was cheaper then I would get that board because I could interchange chips, but in my opinion the Virtue chip is well over priced seeing as how the atual board is only $10 more. Great review, pics, and vids
Old 11-22-2005, 06:08 AM #15
Mortallis

hmmm so hard to decide !!! i like the way the lucky board looks hmmmm what you think pure evil? u like the lucky board or the tboard better?
Black to bluefade Evil Driver
lucky board with codex chip, ST asa, 32 degrees macroline ,kit messiah reg FBM wave trigger

Wrath Legion Special Forces
Old 11-22-2005, 08:43 AM #16
theycallmebacon

nice review

u should air that up and get some paint and show us waht it can do!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:47 PM #17
pur3evil
mmm... tastes like paint

I haven't had a chance to play around with a T-board, so I cannot compare the two. Regarding the Virtue board, it looks like it'll do exactly what the Lucky board with Virtue chip will do. It even looks like it uses the interchangable DM4/5/C Chip just like the Lucky board. I am not sure if the chip on the Virtue board is removable or not, however. It looks like it is, but I suppose they could have glued / soldered it into place.

Thanks for the compliments. I have air / paint... but my barrel is on my friend's Timmy at the moment. Plus, I don't have time to go get everything tuned at the chrono (and I don't yet have my own chrono). Gotta yank the wheels off my MR2 and get my winter tires mounted today.

If you guys want, I'll throw up a quick video of the marker cycling at ~25cps with air and no paint... but that's the best I can do today.

-Howard
Old 11-22-2005, 02:49 PM #18
ah_skeet (Banned)
Banned

you dont need a barrel to show it shooting fast...
Old 11-22-2005, 04:41 PM #19
APACHEGOD
WHACHA TALKIN BOUT WILLIS

I was wondering if you could tell me what the software is like in the board?? For instance when you stick your finger in the breech and squeeze the trigger will it continue to fire? On the DM4/5 when you pull the trigger and do not remove the fingure from the breach then it will not shoot. In other words before it will go to the next shot the board must read that the ball is gone(breech is clear) before it will shoot again. On the T board it does not have this type of programming which I believe causes more ball breaks than any thing. Just a question, I do not want to start any kinda vs. thread.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:44 PM #20
ah_skeet (Banned)
Banned

yeah, i wondered the same thing about the tboard, but i always forgot to ask
Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM #21
pur3evil
mmm... tastes like paint

Good question!! I keep meaning to mention that feature, and I completely forgot.

It DOES have an eye error mode. Basically, if there is a ball in the breech, and it is not cleared in one shot, the marker shows an eye error by flashing the LED green. It then caps itself at something like 10bps to keep you from chopping. Pretty cool, if you ask me!!

The T-board must be like my friend's Timmy. In that case, if the eyes fail, it just goes full blast if you're running it uncapped. This caused a big problem at a scenario game we went to, where he ended up with a small leaf in his hopper. It blocked his eyes, which caused the marker to cycle way faster than his Eggy could feed and chop like crazy. The Lucky board would have sensed this, and would have simply slowed down to 9 or 10bps.

BTW... got a short clip of the Wrath cycling at ~25cps in PSP mode. Keep in mind, the gauge extension on my Detonator is only there while I tune it (makes it looks REALLY long). I will remove it once the marker is set to play.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~neighbordave/psp25dry.wmv

-Howard