Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-07-2005, 11:12 AM #22
Kcin
TU Paintball

Kcin is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Kcin is an NCPA player
Kcin plays in the APPA D5 division
this isn't my post...my teammate logged in on my username...............

Charlie's rambling--->>>

"Sorry to tell you guys, but its not just a thrown together group of refs from around the area. This event only had 1 or 2 refs from the florida area all the rest were flown in. Most of these refs have had many many events of NPPL under their belt thats not counting the numerous other tournaments that they have been. I can understand your frustrations about the event, trust me, it was not all their fault. That hurricane screwed up a lot of things (lighting is a prime example). I think the NPPL staff did a pretty good job considering. The location wasnt all that great but i prefered the grass fields of this event (minus NPPL field) compared to the terf of the last events. Please dont talk about being mad about illegal guns. Trust me, the refs catch as many as we can but we know their are more out there. With some of the detailed modes it is almost impossible to catch. 1-2 second trigger turn offs, 5-7 min game timers, turning eyes off to chrono to keep out of ramping until you get on the field, and there is MUCH MUCH more. Its the players fault there is ramping guns not the refs. With all the tech out there, if you really want to have a ramping gun and you are willing to try it and have someone that can program it for you than you can prob get away with it. The event went overall ok and i think a lot of the problems seem to have to do with the ESPN crew. But who knows, if all works out well on TV we could be seeing MUCH more outside industry support and that means bigger prizes, better venues, and much much more"

Last edited by Kcin : 11-07-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 AM #23
MonsterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcin
But who knows, if all works out well on TV we could be seeing MUCH more outside industry support and that means bigger prizes, better venues, and much much more

you're right... but its a BIG IF...
IF they can make 10 stalemates seem intresting... it might work
IF people dont get bored and change the channel... it might work
Old 11-07-2005, 11:27 AM #24
TreyV
Reality based citizen.

Annual Supporting Member
TreyV is a Supporting Member
TreyV is a founding member
TreyV is playing at Living Legends VII
TreyV is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterD
IF they can make 10 stalemates seem intresting... it might work

QFT!

hahahaahaa!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 AM #25
snoop

snoop is a Supporting Member
i think its just ESPN doesn't understand paintball themselves.. so their like wtf idk wats going on slow it down.. and nppl slows it down

i personally had a lotta fun despite the setbacks.. what i really didn't like is the fact that the afternoon games didn't finish.. so for us.. saturday we played 2.. and sunday morning we played 2.. and on sunday we made semis and played 3 more games...

we had 5 games from 6:30 - 11 and all day saturday we sat around and only played 2 there were definatly scheduling issues with the lights and w/e but they didn't fix them either and they should of tried to find that out earlier i think

btw we got 8th and missed top 4 by 5 points rawr
Old 11-07-2005, 11:57 AM #26
paintball4le$$
Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterD
WOW... once upon a time... nppl was actually preety good...
now... its very ****TY!!!
refing is crap... games are lame (all the top teams played really slow)
THE MAIN FIELD WAS ABSOLUTE ****!!! that was the worst setup i've seen since... well ever... it was the slowest played field of all times.... it really sucked.

the way games were run... = CRAP!! they fowarded the PRO finals before the other div. so when it was done... everyone left...

REFS= CRAP
SCHEDULE= CRAP
OverALL= CRAP!!!

I hope that ESPN is able to edit all the stalemates into some really great footage... cause there was minimal amounts of action after the break...
NPPL needs to step it up...
jstfu
Old 11-07-2005, 12:05 PM #27
Carnage_descent

I did not care for this event that mutch myself.. reffing is always a issue but this time it was the sceduling of games that made me mad. we played are first game at 1:30 sat and waited for our game on the nppl field that was 7 games behind ours(3hr wait).. finally we played our 3rd game before our second game, and played our second game in the dark, we dint get to finish our 4th game like many other teams. wake up at 4:30 to get to the field on time to make up our games. The second day we were being called to play on the spyder field after just walking off the jt field. I have never seen this mutch backup and confusion at a nppl event. I hope that they can straiten things out!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:41 PM #28
Havek

Was not all that bad. Lot of people did not go do to the hurrican and many MIA people still dont have power. Guess people had to do other things. Had good stuff to buy $$$$
Evolve Bolt
Kilaz Detents
Halo B
Old 11-07-2005, 12:43 PM #29
143paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmBwm740
The Pro. fields were so slow were because ESPN told NPPL to do that. Games that seem to be perfect speed to us are most likely WAY too fast for the people watching that don't play paintball.
I don't think your statement is true.

I do know for a fact that the teams were encouraged by the NPPL and ESPN to "step it up" for the show.
"We usually find oil in a new place using old ideas. Sometimes we find oil in an old place with a new idea, but we seldom find much oil in an old place using old ideas. Several times in the past we have thought we were running out of oil, whereas actually we were only running out of ideas. Parke A Dicky 1958
Old 11-07-2005, 12:59 PM #30
bluelite
The Bronze

I think all of the talk surrounding getting paintball onto tv by changing the format to attract viewers is a bass-ackwards approach. You can make the format anything you want to and my wife is not going to watch paintball. She doesn't care if it's five man, seven man, round robin, time limit, center flag, penalty boxes, etc because she doesn't play and could care less. I play and watched the video footage presented on PBstar and wasn't bored at all. Paintball grew without being all over tv, and has been growing the way sports tend to, ie people actually playing them. I could care less how many soccer moms we get to tune in if we have to bastardize the game we love to do it. You want to increase your viewing public? Then start at the same level every other sport does, with kids. Area leagues and interscholastic competition of the sport we love getting kids involved who may or may not play their whole lives but will have an interest that keeps them as viewers. I don't still play football but I love my Dallas Cowboys. Instead of industry people constantly searching for some magic format that opens endless floodgates of money I think it would benefit us more to stick with what works and do a better job explaining why we love it. Passion is infectious.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 PM #31
Dank
The Webb-master

Dank is a Supporting Member
what happened was that the rules for the pros got changed up a bit, so that points didnt really matter. All that mattered was that either you hung the flag, *or* had more bodies at the end of the game time. points didnt matter, so hanging the flag was really irrelevant. so what this did to the game was make it so that a team could go up bodies, cross up everyone on the field, and sit in their bunkers and play tight. Joy was the first to figure that out I think, and when other teams realized what Joy was doing, they were forced to pretty much do the same thing. If they didnt, they got mowed trying to take forward bunkers by 7 guys just throwing ropes into lanes. Then after that, teams figured out that if you took the first game, you could just sit no matter what and let the other team walk into a trap trying to dig you out of your bunkers

In my opinion they should have left the points in place, so that teams would be forced to play straight up for all the games. People say that ESPN had it this way so they had enough footage time for the 8 episodes, but later on I was hearing that ESPN was complaining about the boring games. I thought this was the reason they changed the snake on the NPPL field (not that I knew that for sure).

Anyways, we all asked for someone like ESPN to take our game mainstream, and I guess what we wished for wasnt exactly what we all wanted so far.

[ East Coast Army ]

NeX
Old 11-07-2005, 03:12 PM #32
maddskillzz5

maddskillzz5 helped look for balloons
I would rather watch fast paced games on pbstar then slow paced games on ESPN.

-Mark
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM #33
bokraham
Rock Lobster!!!

I just hope that they have good announcers, that is what really killed the NXL on espn for me.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:51 PM #34
reppin4jesus
Weve got one that can see

reppin4jesus plays in the PSP
reppin4jesus is an NCPA player
reppin4jesus plays in the APPA D2 division
this tournament sucked, bad venue, no parking, lousy trade show, terrible reffing, bad security...the list goes on, they better step it up
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...092&highlight=
OLD FEEDBACK^^^
Old 11-07-2005, 04:21 PM #35
kazkid8
Free Agent

kazkid8 plays in the PSP
kazkid8 posts videos on PbNation
gawd, i really hope that they get the feild good for 2006 and that espn still wants to hang around....because this is really dissapointing

and much of it seems routed in the feild setup....

and also espn's "delays"....
Old 11-07-2005, 04:35 PM #36
MonsterD

not to mention the interview or whatever it was that matty marshall was doing that took about an hour of daylite
Old 11-07-2005, 04:45 PM #37
BackdraftbaLleR03
I AM FOZZY BEAR

BackdraftbaLleR03 supports Cereal Killerz 2
you guys think you had a bad time? i had my ego,shocker, and BOTh tanks stolen... then they arrest the guy and he wont tell where all my stuff is.... and thats just what he stole from me, not to mention the other markers/gear

and it was an
Fueled by Heart Driven by Hate
Old 11-07-2005, 04:51 PM #38
bigweave30
***Christ Krew***

when and if it is coming on espn??
Old 11-07-2005, 05:03 PM #39
kazkid8
Free Agent

kazkid8 plays in the PSP
kazkid8 posts videos on PbNation
i heard april 2006

rumors rumors
Old 11-07-2005, 10:15 PM #40
gdxballa
Boom Bitty Bye Bye

somebody has a case of the early mondays
Old 11-08-2005, 03:44 AM #41
alivAmadA
SIX SIX S1CK

alivAmadA is a Supporting Member
I agree.

Miami = Bulls***. Refs sucked, cleaning crew sucked, wated/food sucked, city sucked, and TCP Machine is a bunch of *****es. Can't wait till Huntington!!!

FREE SPHERE
Old 11-08-2005, 05:56 AM #42
Buns of Steel

No probs with reffin'

Talking to the Tigers on the long flight home, they were saying that this event was the best reffin' all season, they had a couple of calls felt were harsh but it wouldn't be Paintball with out a couple of "Dodgy" calls.
Personally I saw a few bad calls while on field taking pictures but this was more a case of point of view than bad reffin'.
Good trip all round, weather better than forecast and Miami starting to get back to normal. Only bad point was Nppl field surface. saw so many players coming off with nasty burns and aching limbs. When will the NPPL get a decent surface like Millenium turf?
Oh and one other bad point was Valet guy smashing van in car park and just handing over the keys.

Check out pics @ www.merv.tv