Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-07-2005, 01:09 PM #1
NECanes Coach
Turnin Kids 2 ballers

NECanes Coach is a Supporting Member
NECanes Coach is a Professional paintball player
Coaches Corner: Will you sponsor me?

Sponsorship is not free. I used to get calls at my store all the time from teams asking me to sponsor them. Of course these guys had never even stepped foot in my store. Not once. That is not the best way to go about finding support. A good way to convince a potential sponsor to look at you is to be a good customer before you actually make the request. If I know a bunch of kids frequent my store/field, and buy all of their gear from me, I am more likely to want to give them some help, as opposed to a team who calls me at random looking for a handout.

I used to think the calls were pretty funny actually. The first bit of advice I would give them was to put together a resume of the players on the team, where they planned to play, what equipment they use, and where they play, etc. This would usually weed out most of them. Once in a while, some would send something to me. Oh the horror. If you are going to send a written request to a sponsor, please READ it before you place it in the mail. Have someone who actually speaks English take a look at it as well. Just to be safe.

If you are lucky enough to get a sponsor, you did a good job. That is no small task. Now all you have to do is remember that you are now a representative. “You” means all of you. Every member of the team, as well as anyone who helps the team at events. Wouldn’t it be odd to see a gun tech for DYNASTY, a major SMART PARTS team, wearing a ANGEL cap while at an event? Anytime you step onto a paintball field, or are at a paintball event, you need to remember who your sponsors are, and represent them. Don’t give away anything for free. If you wear a DISTORTION jersey because PLANET ECLIPSE paid for your entry, why do you wear an EMPIRE cap when they didn’t support you?

I hate unappreciative players. If you have a higher level of sponsorship, such that you get free gear, don’t be one of those guys who say “This is a great barrel system from my sponsor, smirk, smirk, wink, wink…” Part of getting the funding is supporting the entity that gave it to you. Don’t be one of those clowns who “bad-mouths” a sponsor, or their product. If you have issues, your team should take it up with the sponsor, and if that doesn’t work, don’t accept the sponsor in the future. Keep it within the team. See how easy this can be.

Say thank you. Too many players think that sponsorship is doing the sponsor a favor. That because you are providing some advertising it is a profitable exercise for the company. ERRRRNNNT, wrong answer. Sponsorship is a cost of doing business, like any other business expense. More often than not, it does not provide the ROI the sponsor would hope for. (ROI = Return On Investment) It is a gamble so, if a sponsor takes a chance on your team, say thank you when you get a chance. They will remember it. It may even get you an extra t-shirt.

That is enough for now. Tell me what you think.
Hurricane Facebook Fan Site
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2005, 02:33 PM #2
flyingeagle

has been a member for 10 years
I love your CC. I was getting worried there for a while that we werent going to have anymore. Thanks again Coach
Old 10-07-2005, 04:20 PM #3
Fish

A few ways to get sponsored and a few ways to get laughed at.

First laughed at:
Pick up the phone and ,with no groundwork done and no logical arguments for why they should, call stores and ask if they would sponsor you.

Get sponsored:
Like Jeff said, get togethor a moderately professional looking team portfolio

Come up with a precise plan as to why you can help that company sell more stuff. Using your team as walking advertisement, your players help at the field, hand out fliers at the mall, whatever. It better be realistic and you better follow through on it.

The widespread belief among new tournament players, I dub them "Prosers" (I trademarked that name you owe me $0.25 if you use it) is that sponsorship is just free money that companies are dying to give away. Wrong!

Companies spend sponsorship dollars if they believe it will truly help them make a profit on the back end of the deal. In six months or a year more customers will show up because of what your team did to get attention drawn to their products.

Good Luck

Okay, okay. Technically, I'm not part of coaches corner, but Jeff will vouch for me. If he still remembers me.

Team owner
Somerville Slumcats
Matt Falbe

You know. About every six months I return to PBnation trading forums, get yanked around by people with no cash, who propose trades they don't want to follow through on and generally waste my time. I get frustrated and go back to Ebay, then about six months later I forget about why I quit trading on PBnation and come back. And the cycle continues.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:41 PM #4
NECanes Coach
Turnin Kids 2 ballers

NECanes Coach is a Supporting Member
NECanes Coach is a Professional paintball player
Jeff is D.A?

I thought it was me...
Hurricane Facebook Fan Site
Old 10-07-2005, 11:06 PM #5
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
I seem to remember some light-saber wielding fellow with a name similar to yours.

Slumcats rock, btw. I'm renewing my season's tickets.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 10-07-2005, 11:24 PM #6
grambo
I piddy da fo'

I think my eyes hurt.

MANTIS FACTORY KIDS #357

HTTP://WWW.MANTISFACTORY.COM/

Wilmigton, MA. & Greenville, NC.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 PM #7
darthmom

ok everywhere i go i hear resume resume resume, how the hell should a resume look like? Could sumone give me a sample resume, or even an outline...

Last edited by darthmom : 10-25-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 PM #8
psujulius
PSU Paintball

Darth check out the Penn State resume.. this is what we actually send our sponsors.. it has pretty much any sponsor would want to see.. and all potential sponsors.. please feel free to look as well

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/...004/resume.doc

Coach makes alot of good points... Over the past year PSU has bought over 50 shockers from smart parts.. thats a huge commitment to your sponsor.. and thats why we are treated so well. Support your sponsors and they will support you.
Penn State Paintball #07

Sponsored by:
Smart Parts
Compulsive Paintball
KEE

Last edited by psujulius : 10-25-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 PM #9
darthmom

that was very helpful!! Thanx, u dont mind if i use the tournament ranking format u have? right? lol
Old 10-26-2005, 12:09 AM #10
psujulius
PSU Paintball

lol not at all.. i wouldnt have posted it if i did
Penn State Paintball #07

Sponsored by:
Smart Parts
Compulsive Paintball
KEE
Old 10-26-2005, 07:49 PM #11
darthmom

GREAT! Thanx for helping a group of ballers :-D
Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 PM #12
Kirill

And remember kiddies, sponsorship isnt always about winning, its about being out there and representing those who support you in the most positive way ever! (Look at nexus, they dont win all that much, but theyre in pgi more tyan dynasty)
Old 11-01-2005, 07:45 PM #13
OllieLangowns

^^^ Thats because Robbo owns PGi
Kiril is right tho
Old 11-02-2005, 04:15 AM #14
TrailOfDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieLangowns
^^^ Thats because Robbo owns PGi
Kiril is right tho
LOL - Robbo doesn't own PGi, a big publishing company owns PGi.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:21 PM #15
Kirill

no matter who owns pgi...point is robbo is in it more than anyone else....that stands for something.

on another note, i heard PE Pulled the rug out from under distortion....true/false?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:20 AM #16
Eels23
The Hoss

Eels23 plays in the PSP
Eels23 plays in the APPA D4 division
Eels23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Eels23 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
This should be stickeyed
Myspace
Luxe F/S NEED MONEY
QUITTING SALE! CHEAP
Old 11-09-2005, 07:41 AM #17
greenkill

greenkill is a Supporting Member
It was decided not to sticky individual coaches corner's threads, but yet leave a thread with links to them all. So in a way all of them are already stickied.
A - Actuating point

S------F--A------E