PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-27-2005, 12:15 PM #1
GPL freak

Exclamation End prizes

Does anyont think that now due to all the new and better support the GPL has been getting dont u think the end prize should be upped a litle more. I mean some teams have gone to every event and supported the event (by bringing teams they knowto the tourney series) alot, shouldnt they get a little more for their effort in this tourney series?
Let me know how u feel. if not how about having a MVP of the series in each event with mor e prizes. U were interested in the idea before, but nothing came of it, lets see something come of this idea.

Also they keep saying redz is bumping up their prizes for the tourney yet i see barley any if no prizes from redz in the 5th event prize list. If they are bumping up their prizes then how come there were more before that there are now?

Just a few things

O also good job on the feild layouts, they are a great luxry for ust to have them displayed on the internet for us thank you.

Later

Last edited by GPL freak : 09-27-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2005, 01:11 PM #2
Shawn Walker

Redz gives us a bunch of stuff, but we don't know exactly what items we are getting, thats why the actual items aren't listed. They will be added day of.

The end prizes won't change. I'm actually suprised there are end prizes at all. The XPSL and the NPPL do not give end prizes but rather a big trophy and champion rings.

I posted my feelings about prizes on a different thread, but again, a large % of teams play for the experiance and the challenge as they have not and may not win anything all season.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:30 PM #3
N.M.E.kid22 (Banned)
.MURDER.

N.M.E.kid22 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Walker
I posted my feelings about prizes on a different thread, but again, a large % of teams play for the experiance and the challenge as they have not and may not win anything all season.
i think u dont no anything about the east coast teams at all, i no for a fact that MOST teams go out their every event looking to win, and it sucks to spend that much money and not win, most teams dont go out their for "experience" but rather to win, obviously u dont no anything about the series or its teams, idk if the xpsl should be braught together with gpl, and if u are only hoping that teams looking for "experience" should play, then ur in the wrong series, i thought by the xpsl combining with the gpl it would gain tournament respect and be back were it was years ago, but it still hasnt, u just dont no anything bout the teams playing in ur own series, man u have lots to learn
Old 09-27-2005, 04:20 PM #4
Shawn Walker

Dude.

I have been putting events on for over 10 years. I have been in the industry for almost 15 years now.

All teams are not in the event to "win". How could they be? The bottom half of the teams that only win one or no games each event still come back to the next event.

Most teams are very realistic with themselves. If you plan to win every event and thatís why you are in the league then you are in for the wrong reasons.

Paintball is a great sport. You don't have to "win" to enjoy it. I have teams that play in NPPL events and lose every game, but they keep coming back. They are super positive and enjoy our sport.

When I am trying to get new teams into our events and into paintball I don't tell them about the prizes because it is very likely they will not be winning any.

How can we expect new teams to come into our league if we tell them "come for the prizes!"

We all need to be ambassadors for our sport. We need more places to play, better media coverage, more mainstream acceptance. We get those things by being positive about the sport, not negativity about winning and losing.

Last edited by Shawn Walker : 09-27-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:54 PM #5
journeyman

uh hes very much right about that.

I think your reasoning is a little out of order there.

Its not realistic to only play if your guaranteed to win something. its your hope to somehow win it, but it cant be the only thing. Thats a very errant way of looking at the sport as a whole. your short-changing yourself if thats your attitude.

Besides nowehere in the rules of competition paintball does it say that a paying team is entitled to win something. Thats totally up to the team itself.
Thats how COMPETITION paintball goes. In order for somebody to win somebody has to lose. The only thing a paying team is Entitled to is playing the event.

Also I dont think its very wise to arbitrarily say shawn doesnt know what hes talking about when you dont even know the guys backround let alone the guy himself.

not trying to insult ya just trying to get a point across to ya.

good luck anyhow at the gpl dude.

Last edited by journeyman : 09-27-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 PM #6
Nation03
Hiatus

Nation03 plays in the APPA D4 division
Its upsetting to see everyone only interested in prizes. Football players dont get prizes, nor do baseball players, soccer, etc... its for the love of the game and competing in it. Stop *****ing about the prizes and go play paintball..
Old 09-27-2005, 07:42 PM #7
faLse_stArt
Nor*Jers

honestly though, do football players, baseball players, basketball players pay on avg 50$ for each game/tourney or pay 60$ for paint and most of the time you gotta buy a couple cases if u make finals, so when you spend around 175$ an event, you'd like to get repayed for your hard work and money spent... dont get me wrong id play paitnball for fun too i love it but its just fair to get repayed for being the best

Atlas Paintball

Nor*Jers Productions
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=atlasdemo&width=800

Last edited by faLse_stArt : 09-27-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:46 PM #8
p8ntball-kid21
E-Jam United

p8ntball-kid21 is a Supporting Member
And the pro football, soccer, baseball players get million dollar contracts...
Old 09-27-2005, 09:25 PM #9
ASWANG

Lets play Paintball win or lose!! see u guys on Sunday!!

Team FIL-AM UNITED
Old 09-27-2005, 09:37 PM #10
EgoSkillz08
I live for Sundays

word...sure everyone WANTS to win but not everyone does...me and my team will be in it to win it, but if we lose we wont quit because we lost money...we play paintball guys making money is clearly not on the top of our list here lol...see you all on cold sunday in nov.

NY Royalty
Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM #11
Paintballer476

Paintballer476 plays in the PSP
Paintballer476 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paintballer476 plays in the APPA D3 division
What is the over all end prize? And its only for 1st place correct?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:18 PM #12
Nation03
Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntball-kid21
And the pro football, soccer, baseball players get million dollar contracts...
I ment in the sense of high school football players.

and mike that is a good point.. i no what you mean... i hate spending 200+ an event and not winning anything and if we do it doesnt pay for itself... but it doesnt really fase me anymore... this is my life.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:56 PM #13
p8ntball-kid21
E-Jam United

p8ntball-kid21 is a Supporting Member
The best high school players want to get college scholarships. I dont want to argue but I'm just telling you the truth.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:02 PM #14
Nation03
Hiatus

point being.. play for the love not the prizes.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:14 PM #15
Shawn Walker

I think its great people are comparing paintball to other "mainstream" sports. I hope someday paintball is viewed equally in the eyes of the public.

I don't think it is viewed that way yet, but I think it would be a great step forward.

As far as comparision of costs and prizes I guess it would go something like this:

Middle School Sports -Rookie or Div 3
High School Sports - Novice or Div 2
College Sports - Am or Div 1
Pro Sports - Pro

Under this logic, No one but Pro's would get paid or get prizes. Rookie's, Novice and Am's would all be playing for throphies and Pro's would get prizes.

Some may say College athletes get "perks" or High School Athletes are trying for a scholorship.

This may be true, but no Tournament orgainization pays for those things. The NCAA doesn't pay for the sholarships, the schools do. That is more compared to sponsorships in the paintball realm. The better you do marketing your team the more sponsors you can attract.

I think the point has been well discussed by both sides in this thread. For some, the prizes are a motivating factor in their paintball career, for others the prizes are not.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and will play paintball through their own motivational methods.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:22 PM #16
Runin' 50
EKF BALLA

Well handled. Well said. Totaly Agreed.

Orginzied Chaos Paintball

[HK] support
Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 AM #17
EgoSkillz08
I live for Sundays

so what we are saying is...paintball should be a school sport ...i only wish...

NY Royalty