Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-05-2002, 05:18 PM #1
paintball sycho
Team Invictus

has been a member for 10 years
halo

anyone use one?hows it work?is it bigger than a revy?also where can i get one cheap?

BioHazard, AA Armageddon

Discussion on anything autococking from sniper to MQ: www.CustomCockers.com
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2002, 05:52 PM #2
defiance

Yes, I do. it's ... oooo ...

U.S. District Judge Garr M. King, Re: Smart Parts' patent on electronic paintball markers
Old 08-05-2002, 05:58 PM #3
Mag-got
nOoBiFiiEd

I use one. It blended paint inside of it until I got the Halo B upgrade. Its heavier, and bigger, and holds less balls then a rev.

I got mine from acepaintball.com
Old 08-06-2002, 08:45 AM #4
DigitalPaintBall

Well i own a "Halo A" you could say, theres two, the Halo A and the Halo B, the difference between the two is that the Halo B has a "better drive chain" wich lets it cycle faster, quieter and with less power.
The Halo series uses two power sources, you can either use 6 AA batterys, and with the Halo A get 15 bps, and with the Halo B 20 bps, or you can use a single 9v battery and you will get 10 bps with the Halo A, and 15 with the Halo B (this is aprox according to a number of speed tests i did with 150 balls, a Halo A, and a stop watch.

The Halo holds 150 balls VERY nicelly, and will hold up to about 170, its just about the same size as a revvy but weighs about twice as much, probly becuse of the way it works wich ill get to in a moment, and that fact that if you want the best BPS out of it youll want to use 6 AA batterys wich are "Fairly" heavy.

The way the Halo works is you have a normal hopper/loader but instead of having a paddle(s) that spins or pole that shakes you have a "lazy susan" if you will, for those who dont know what a lazy susan is its a plastic circular device that has slots in it to put things in, and it spins around on its base, anyways i like to call it a turn table sence it sounds nice and is simple, what happens is the balls fall to the bottom of the hopper and there are holes in this "turn table" that the balls fall in, this turn table spins around and when it gets to the feed neck the ball falls down, now this is a very interesting desgin and im sure i could have explained it better but i did the best i could.

Lets see..the Halo A runs at about $100, you can get one "cheap" at www.paintballgear.com and also you can goto www.google.com and type in odyssey halo loader and itll come up with a bunch of websites that are selling it, or you can just go directly to http://www.odysseypaintball.com/ wich is the official page (its also the only place i know of that you can buy the Halo B, usually you buy the Halo A and then you have to send it to odyssey and theyll "upgrade" it to the Halo B for $30.00.

All in all if you have the urge to dump paint like a mad man (back players of the sort or people who just like to rip off 20 bps at someone and watch them run for there lives) then this is what youve been waiting for, if your a front / mid player and you dont mind the added weight then you shouldent have much trouble with it, on the other hand if you must have a light gun then this probly isnt the loader for you.

Ide give the Halo A and B a 9/10 ide give it a 10 but they need to find a way to lighten the load.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:25 AM #5
defiance

Actually, I can't tell the weight difference on-gun. Yeah, holding a rev & holding a halo, it's a huge difference, but on-gun, I can't tell the difference at all.

U.S. District Judge Garr M. King, Re: Smart Parts' patent on electronic paintball markers
Old 08-06-2002, 01:49 PM #6
ToddsquaD
Victims... Arent we all.

I have a HALO ("a" Model) as well. I absolutely Love it. I had nothing but problems with chopping paint in the breech until I got it. I think it is because the halo forces the paint down the neck and keeps a slight amount of pressure on the paint so that any blowback problems are completely resolved. I keep the bushy tuned to just over 16 BPS and only once in a rare while skip a shot.

As far as the weight difference, it is quite a bit compared to the Revvy and while I do disagree with defiance about the weight on the gun (It's DEFINITELY noticeable) once you are in game play the few ounces of weight difference seems to disappear as you are concentrating more on your game than the weight of the gun.

Capacity wise it's fine. the 15 ball difference in capacity has never really affected me during a game. Yes you will need to reload more often, but in the course of a game depending on how much paint you dump it will more than likely add up to 1 extra reload at most. I typicaly fill my hopper with my gun in the ready to fire position anyway, so for me it makes no difference.

Size difference while it has the appearance of being larger in actual comparison the difference is slight.

Cost wise I bought mine for $85 at paintball inc. here in Dallas. I have seen similar deals on the internet as well. Look around and you will find them.

Blending paint inside... yeah I heard some of the early run models of the "A" did that. I feel pretty lucky that mine wasn't one of them!

The HALO is a GREAT loader I totally reccomend it for use with a bushmaster.

A personal thought.... A certain company is suing odyssey because they feel that using an IR eye is somehow infringing on their patents. Personally I think this company doesn't want any competition against the aging design of their motorized hopper or their poor attempt at a "newly designed" loader they tried to sham the Paintball community with. I really hope this company doesn't win their litigation against Odyssey, as Odyssey has a great product on their hands. It would be a shame to lose it, only to have it replaced by another sorry attempt by this company trying to show how they are "the world's leading designer and manufacturer" of paintball products. Funny... I would think they would just design and manufacture something that would outdo a small outfit like odyssey. Or maybe they would just buy them out.

Like i said though, just my thoughts....

STFU AND PLAY!!

Last edited by ToddsquaD : 08-06-2002 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:49 PM #7
bushy572
Que te folle un pez

bushy572 is a founding member
bushy572 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bushy572 supports DLX Technology
i have the halo 'a'. i would recommend getting a 12 volt rev with x board because the halo is NOT worth the extra 50 bucks. i chop more with the halo than with a 12 volt/xboard

Yes, i am a gun whore.

LAX baller
Old 08-06-2002, 07:50 PM #8
defiance

Upgrade it to a 'b', and you'll change your mind. I was not impressed with the 'a' either... And I will not shoot another hopper now that I have a 'b'.

Old 08-06-2002, 08:12 PM #9
bushy572
Que te folle un pez

bushy572 is a founding member
bushy572 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bushy572 supports DLX Technology
then i gotta waste another 130 bucks. so that 260 bucks spent on 2 hoppers and only one that works

Yes, i am a gun whore.

LAX baller
Old 08-06-2002, 08:15 PM #10
paintballdude_13
g33k

If you send it into Odessey it's only $50 to get it upgraded to a Halo B.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:16 PM #11
defiance

Actually, 30 for the upgrade, or 50 with upgrade plus a clear shell.