PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-31-2001, 10:41 PM #22
Reklats

has been a member for 10 years
Are they the same price? Just a sear tripper? That's pretty ***. Kinda like an emag .

Now...the benefits of the lp kit: Less recoil- bah. 75% of the model 98's kick is that huge *** hammer banging around. If electro kit #1 is a pneumatic ram, it should cut that down.

Better efficiency: Air is cheap. If you have a 68/3000 tank, you should at LEAST get 600-700 shots from it. Even my friends gas hog shocker gets 600. Are you going to shoot more than 600 shots in ONE GAME with a freaking model 98??? If you are, get a good 68/4500 tank, and use it on your next gun. The lp kit will never pay for itself by saving you air costs.

Better consistancy: nah. I don't believe it. I was getting +/- 1 fps with this kids model 98 and my nitroduck. I believe it was the sear tripper version, (battery external, instead of in the handle) so it would've been stock internals. Tippmann has had a lot of time to improve their power tubes.

If I were you, I'd skip the lp kit, get the pneumatic ram electro kit if your worried about recoil, and get a decent hpa tank.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:41 PM #23
Parasite
Not Amused

Annual Supporting Member
Parasite is a Moderator
Parasite is a Supporting Member
Parasite is a founding member
Parasite is BST Legit
Parasite donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by Reklats
BTW, what's the difference between tippmann electro kits? The one I saw had a battery by the old cocking slot, and a rock reg going to the solenoid.
do you really want an answer from a bunch of stupid 98 newbie users?.....why don't you got figure it out yourself hotshot.....

as far as smart parts sucking....they do...my friend bought an impulse and the o-ring in the bottom of the vert. reg CAME damaged....(read: it WAS NOT a result of his 98 newbie a$$ or whatever) when he called smart parts to replace it, their exact words were "well, we'll have to see what we can do, bye".....they're all di<kheads there, and they don't know what customer service is....they make a good competetively priced product, but don't know how to take care of their consumers....

"When people get a little too chummy with me
I like to call them by the wrong name
to let them know I donít really care about them."

My oldschool PBN Feedback +48 Positive/ZERO negative : before the days of this "fancy" feedback system.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:31 AM #24
IcEy
Vermont

Parasite he wasn't saying that we were newbies he was saying the they are electro newbies. AKA new to electros.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:36 AM #25
Parasite
Not Amused

Annual Supporting Member
Parasite is a Moderator
Parasite is a Supporting Member
Parasite is a founding member
Parasite is BST Legit
Parasite donated to help Peyton Trent
yeah, sorry bro, i was in a crappy mood when i came home last night.....g/f troubles....anyways, i still stand by my statement about Smart Parts.....

"When people get a little too chummy with me
I like to call them by the wrong name
to let them know I donít really care about them."

My oldschool PBN Feedback +48 Positive/ZERO negative : before the days of this "fancy" feedback system.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:50 AM #26
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Reklats
Kinda like an emag .

The lp kit will never pay for itself by saving you air costs.

I was getting +/- 1 fps with this kids model 98 and my nitroduck.
I hope you aren't calling the Emag a sear tripper since it uses magnetic force to pull the trigger every pull. Much more reliable and will probably make the gun last a lot longer.

I am amazed by the efficiency gained from having the LP kit. At first I just thought I was shooting less, but I really am getting close to 900 shots from my 68 stub. Thats great considering nitro fills are $5 and I only have to fill up once a day instead of the 600-700 shots I used to get.

Wait wait, I've never seen ANY gun get that kind of consistancy. I've never even heard of any gun actually testing with that. Even Excaliburs can't do that. I think you're exagerrating a little bit.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Old 08-02-2001, 08:46 AM #27
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
Actually, that's why I like... and dislike the emag.

The trigger pull's great, but the battery? Guess what happenes when it dies?

You want to fork up that much cash??

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 08-02-2001, 02:18 PM #28
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

I'd fork out the cash for an Emag just because IF the battery died, I'd take it off and charge it while switching into playing in RT mode. That choice of electro/mechanical/both modes is what makes the Emag. And it looks like a million bucks.

I chose not to fork over the cash for the electro kit simply because I like the feel of the RT trigger over the electro 98 and plan to make my 98 my backup any year now. One of these days.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:16 PM #29
Reklats

I really hate arguing about guns I don't own, but... yes the emag trigger uses magnets instead of springs. I'm pretty sure it still has a microswitch though. So, when you pull the trigger, it hits the microswitch which activates the solenoid, which trips the sear. Making it a sear tripper style electro.

It gets you up to 200 more shots off a 68ci tank? So...it saves you $5 every other time you play... You're talking about the $120 hpa conversion kit...right? So if you saved your left over air until next time and paid $5 twice every other time you play, you'd save $120 on air after you played 48 times. According to the tippmann website, a second reg is also needed. That'll run you $50-$100, so you'd need to play 68 to 88 times.

About consistancy: I'm not exagerrating. My impulse will chrono 279 279 280 on co2 or nitro. I've seen plenty of guns get +/- 1 or 2 variances. Any good gun (shockers, cockers, impulses, and angels are the ones I've seen) and in this case the kids model98 can get +/- 1 while shooting slowly to chrono.

And sorry, I wasn't specifically calling m98 people newbies, I was just trying to point out that the impulse is slightly more of a newbie gun than say a shocker.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:31 PM #30
Meph

Why, you're right.

For the general part of it, the Model 98 and 98 custom are used by mostly newbies, and semi-experienced players upgrading from guns like StingrayIIs, Raptors, and Spyders.

However, there's still that margin of us that take it to the Xtreme (as everything is now-a-days. Even Xtreme butter Popcorn for piss sake!!).

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 08-02-2001, 10:12 PM #31
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

I was under the impression that the EMag had a setup like the electro kit that didn't have a sear in it. If you look at it that way I guess that most electros are sear trippers and the sear-trip kits are nothing more.

It saves me money everytime I play, plus it only cost me about $70 for the added benefit. I also traded my old cocker reg for the Vig I now use so I'm actually saving money now.

I still don't think that you have thatkind of consistancy during game play. Chrono consistancy is one thing. I've seen low pressure guns shoot the same speed everytime, but game play is another that I think you're exagerating a little.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:20 AM #32
Reklats

Quote:
Originally posted by Dyoel182

I still don't think that you have thatkind of consistancy during game play. Chrono consistancy is one thing. I've seen low pressure guns shoot the same speed everytime, but game play is another that I think you're exagerating a little.
I was talking about chrono consistancy. You're right, rapid fire consistancy is usually worse. I didn't follow the kid around with the chrono while he was playing and take random measurements. How would you measure consistancy while you're playing? I think you're confused a little.

Now, about the sear thing. On a model 98 like yours and mine, the trigger releases the sear from the hammer, causing it to slam foreward into the powertube, firing the gun, and releasing gas to recock the hammer against a spring.

In my impulse, the trigger hits a microswitch, which tells a circuit board to activate the solenoid. The solenoid sends air (through passage #1) to a pneumatic piston, which flies foreward and opens the valve (like a powertube) firing the paintball. The board tells the solenoid exactly how long to keep the piston foreward. Then the board tells the solenoid to send air through passage #2 to the piston, bringing it back and recocking the gun. Without springs, blowforeward/blowback gas, or a sear. Thats pretty much how the bushy and angel work, too.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:17 PM #33
Paintball Ghost
I am Addicted

My 98 has +- 1 fps on hpa(my Expensive race gun never worked so I always had my 68/45 max flow on my 98) not only was it +-1 over the crono on first shot I could shoot it about 8bps and #8 or 9 would come out at the same velocity as the first shot(I love my 98's consistancy).
Old 08-03-2001, 08:20 PM #34
Meph

I find that hard to believe Ghost.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 08-03-2001, 09:28 PM #35
extreme_ed
The Painting Canuk!

meph, how do you like the electro upgrade to your gun?
Old 08-03-2001, 10:12 PM #36
p8ntballer15
im damn sexy

sell ur m98 and buy my cocker
rt automag apoc system plus 3 barrels also for sale
Old 08-03-2001, 11:04 PM #37
extreme_ed
The Painting Canuk!

gotta picture? but i'm thining about going for either a electro kit for my gun , or a impulse. thats why i started this in the first place, does anyone have experience with both a impulse and electro tippmann with flatline?
help, Ed
Old 08-03-2001, 11:49 PM #38
Meph

Yeah... it's the photopoint link in my signature. That has pictures of my current setup, and a few pics of my previous experiments.

But, it doesn't matter which you go. If you'd like, get an Imp and keep the 98 as a good backup.

Or, just go with the e-bolt kit. If you do, I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed. And the flatline added makes it outstanding... after properly installed.

Go imp or e98... either way, you'll like it.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 08-03-2001, 11:53 PM #39
Meph

And p8nt, unless this person is pretty skilled in the field of paintball... do NOT ever suggest a 'cocker to somebody. Or newbies, for that.

Besides it being a money pit, you have to work with the timing, and there's a lot of cleaning and a lot of parts. This gun isn't for somebody that's a newbie or been playing for a while, but still unfamiliar on how the guns' mechanics work.

But you probably already knew that!

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 08-04-2001, 12:32 AM #40
extreme_ed
The Painting Canuk!

actually ive been playing for 2 years, and know alot about the guns, and teach newbies how to clean and maitain there guns.
and a few guys have cockers there soo i wanna be different, there for im thinking tippy on electro, or am impulse. meph can you give me any tips on the electro kit? i have masterd my flatline and it works better then ne others at the field i usually go to.well thanks meph
Ed
Old 08-04-2001, 02:35 AM #41
Paintball Ghost
I am Addicted

meph which do you have a hard time believing that I can shoot 8bps, or that it has +-1 fps over the crono, or that it has no shootdown. First I have modified my trigger quite a bit internally it doesn't feel like a 98 at all. I can honestly say that I can shoot it faster than I could my rt(but I could never shoot my rt that fast anyway). It has a two finger trigger and about half the tension of a stock 98 not to mention a shorter pull due to shims. Also f you ment about the consistency have you ever shot a max flow. They are consistant as heck (277, 277, 276, 278) and have no shootdown expecially in sub 10bps range.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:09 AM #42
Meph

No, I know about the 8pbs, that's not hard. Unless you're using a prolite (damn 10lb trigger pulls!).

But the consistency, only way that's possible is with luck, pretty much. If those were the only 4 shots, then you had a magical ferry over your gun for those few seconds.

Even with all the crap on my gun, and the best fresh paint to barrel match, I'm usually around +/- 5fps.

But there are those rare times when 3 shots are right on top of each other. However, go out and target shoot for about 50 shots... it'll go back to being around 5fps.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness