Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-28-2001, 10:05 AM #1
extreme_ed
The Painting Canuk!

has been a member for 10 years
my little delema

Hello fellow paintballers

here is my delema,
right now my hardware is a metalic green painted classic 98 with df and flatline, anyway, in about a week ill be getting my air system, scuba and fil station, as it would take me 1 hour drive to get a fill, and my local field doesnt see the need to get a hpa scube tank while 90% of the people play with co2, any way that will put me a little but in a hole for spending money towardspaintball. My big question is this, should i ....

A) keep my m98 the way it is , put the hpa kit on the gun and add a very good regulators and add the low pressure kit?

or
B) sell my tippmann gun and flatline and etc. and but a Impulse and get the hpa, after a little bit of movey saving time,

C) get a electronic kit for my classic 98, after waiting a bit for money and get the hpa to? (ps. does the kit for the classic m98 have the low pressure kit built into it? or is that something completely different?)

D) anyhting else you can think of,

thank you for who relpy with there input,
Ed
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2001, 10:17 AM #2
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja

HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
since you said the field doesent fill HPA and you have to drive an hour to get one filled. you kinda have 2 options.
1)get the scuba and fill staion, and an N2 system for your self. since you have a scuba tank you could just get that filled every 2 weeks or so. that would limit the driving time to get HPA filled.
2) run CO2 on your M98 or buy an Impulse and run CO2 on that. Since the Impulse doesn't need HPA to run great you'd save money on buying an N2 system and Scuba.

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"
Old 07-28-2001, 11:07 AM #3
EnderWigginPballin
AO Goon

Since co2 fills are readily available to u, and hpa is not, get the Impulse, but don't waste on an HPA system for it. it works great on co2, so there's no need for hpa
Old 07-28-2001, 04:44 PM #4
FSU Paintball
quotedfortruth.com

FSU Paintball is a Supporting Member
If you stick with the Model 98, just use CO2 and a regulator or an expansion chamber. DON'T get the electronic kit on CO2; you'll have shootdown problems.

If an Impulse can run OK on CO2 (I don't know much about them), then that's another good option. If you don't have a HPA-capable field, then I'd stick with CO2.
www.parts4paintball.com
Support Luke Mansberger & Strange
Old 07-28-2001, 08:29 PM #5
IcEy
Vermont

I'd get an Impulse (i'll be getting one sometime) and run co2 on it. It has the same reg as the shocker and people have used co2 on the shocker for years. Just make sure you have an anti-syphon or a remote. The 98 wasn't designed to be an electro or "lp" so don't waste your money on it. Don't flame me for that. If your going to sell your 98 you won't get much money for it resale is horrible.
Old 07-29-2001, 07:02 PM #6
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by IcEy
The 98 wasn't designed to be an electro or "lp" so don't waste your money on it. Don't flame me for that. If your going to sell your 98 you won't get much money for it resale is horrible.
I'm pretty sure that my 98 Custom was designed for both. The fact is that it performs so well with either or both compared to other guns that are more expensive. How's that for a flame?
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Old 07-29-2001, 08:46 PM #7
FSU Paintball
quotedfortruth.com

Alright, that's cool, he made his point. Let's move on.
www.parts4paintball.com
Old 07-30-2001, 02:20 AM #8
IcEy
Vermont

Whatever I don't care that much to argue about it, but read this it's from tippmann. Take what you want from it.
Yes it is true our stock 98 will operate on nitrogen. However there is very little advantage over CO2 because the gun was not designed for a high pressure system. When we design a gun to operate on CO2 we have to take into consideration a large
variety of pressures ranging from an empty bottle all the way up to 3,000psi, where the rupture disc fails. Granted we cannot cover the entire pressure range, so we shoot for the most common operating pressures. In order to have a gun function through this pressure range, without a large velocity variation, we sacrifice some efficiency and overall gun comfort.
Old 07-30-2001, 12:01 PM #9
Parasite
Not Amused

Annual Supporting Member
Parasite is a Moderator
Parasite is a Supporting Member
Parasite is a founding member
Parasite is BST Legit
Parasite donated to help Peyton Trent
that's a quote from tippmann's description of their HPA kit....you've completely taken that out of context....if you were to continue reading you'd see this:
Quote:
Through research and testing we have found the most efficient pressure to be between 300-400psi. By changing the configuration of the valve and rear bolt we can obtain better efficiency, less recoil, and a more consistent shot to shot velocity.
looks to me like it CAN run on N2 just fine....

also, resale on 98's is horrible?....i bought mine first 98 for $125 and sold it for $100....ever tried to sell a MAG?....mag's that cost $600 new go for $200-300 ALL THE TIME....

"When people get a little too chummy with me
I like to call them by the wrong name
to let them know I donít really care about them."

My oldschool PBN Feedback +48 Positive/ZERO negative : before the days of this "fancy" feedback system.
Old 07-30-2001, 12:29 PM #10
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by IcEy

Yes it is true our stock 98 will operate...
CAN'T YOU READ? Please, you can't be that ignorant. What do you believe the word STOCK means? I'll inform you. Stock means what it is from the factory, no upgrades. That is stock.

However, when the LP conversion kit is installed.... please answer this question. Is it stock? Wait, you'll probably not know, I'll answer for you.

NO, it is NOT stock. Because there is now different internals and upgrades designed to accept nitrogen with better advantages over CO2.

So before you go around flaming crap that you don't even know what you're talking about, please do all of your research first. Otherwise... well, I think you know what happens.

Have a nice day.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 07-30-2001, 03:11 PM #11
Reklats

Why the hell wouldn't a model 98 run on hpa? There was this kid that had a model 98 with an electro kit of some sort, and he was getting +/- 20fps on co2. I let him try my hpa tank, and he was getting +/- 1fps! On a model 98! That was pretty cool. My old (and I mean old) model 98 gets 3-5 fps variation with hpa. Thats damn good.

extreme_ed: Get an impulse and run co2. I run both co2 and nitro on my impulse, and you really can hardly tell the difference. You get a little bit of shootdown on co2, but only after the tank is so frozen you can write your name in the frost. Stick to 10-20 shot strings and you'll be fine.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:39 PM #12
extreme_ed
The Painting Canuk!

soo if i get the electro pneumatic kit for my classic m98 i will have to switch to hpa, or can i run it on co2 for a while? what would happen if i did use co2? I dont want to use full auto, ony semi, reactive , and mabey bursts. id go for the impulse, but then i would not have my flatline, i have gone back to straight barrels to try agian, and it just isnt the same.
well any advise would be greatly appreciated
Ed
Old 07-30-2001, 04:58 PM #13
IcEy
Vermont

Yes I can read and yes I know the 98 can run on hpa never said it couldn't the article said there is little advantage. ""Whatever I don't care that much to argue about it, but read this it's from tippmann. Take what you want from it."" I never flamed anything I knew that since this is the 98 forum people would get mad if I said anything negative about 98's. Don't forget I've own this gun too. Just chill out I know everyone loves their 98 I do to. All I was trying to say was why get a gun that you have to upgrade or derastically sp change to get the same performance as a gun that has it built in/stock. Like in the lp kit you have a new bolt,valve, and so on and other things with the electro. Where as in the impulse what I advised him that he should get the imp because it was built for lp and is built to be an electro. Imp costs 400. M98 130+Lp kit 120+reg50+e-kit230=530. Plus the imp has a great reg and a good barrel. That is my advice to him as that is what he asked for. I can understand that you may like the feel of the gun or its durability etc and that is why you like the gun. It know that an upgraded 98 will rival/compete/equal more costly guns, but I wouldn't put that much money into it.

And Parasite why are you disagreeing about the resale value being horrible. It is horrible for basically all guns except for tricked cockers and angels. Those guns tend to hold their value more for some reason. With basically all other guns you don't get nearly close as much back as you put in.

That is all I can think of now. Feel free to diagree on anything. I felt I needed to explain myself.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:23 PM #14
FSU Paintball
quotedfortruth.com

I've run my 98 Custom both on nitro and CO2. There's not much difference between the two, if you use an expansion chamber or remote with the CO2. I expect it would be better with nitro if I had the LP kit.

The resale value thing is partially true. A stock 98 will go for $100, which is only $25 lower than retail. However, an upgraded 98 worth about $500 new will only go for about $300. That's not good.

Also, you were right about the Mags. I have a $1000 Mag, and I probably couldn't sell it for more than $500, just because Mags don't resell very well, even though they are the safest guns to buy second-hand, because they're so durable and reliable. I'd love to get a Cocker, but I can't bear to part with my Mag for so little.
www.parts4paintball.com
Old 07-30-2001, 09:49 PM #15
Reklats

I think resale values suck period. Thats why I still have every gun I've ever bought.

If you really really want to keep your model 98 for the flatline, just get a RT. I don't have one, but they rip. Almost makes me jealous. The imp doesn't have the range of the flatline, but you can arch it and drop paintballs on top of each other it's so consistant. An rt with a decent nitro tank would be pretty cheap. I've used both, and the electro kit I've seen really didn't have that much on the RT. Wasn't worth the $100 difference, and you really can'tj use co2. If you did use co2 with the electro kit, it would be inconsistant as all hell. As in REALLY inconsistant.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:33 PM #16
extreme_ed
The Painting Canuk!

well, i would get the rt trigger, but i am not for reasons,

#1 i have a classic, therefor it would cost me an extre bit of cash to get it installed into my gun, and that extra money makes the electropnuematic a little closer price to the rt.
#2 the lowpressure kit comes with the electo pmatic kit, and doesnt for the rt, and eventually i will go to hpa.
#3 the rt is being banned from many tourneys, and i dont want something that in a month will be banned form tourneys.
Ed
Old 07-30-2001, 11:14 PM #17
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by extreme_ed
#2 the lowpressure kit comes with the electo pmatic kit, and doesnt for the rt, and eventually i will go to hpa.
#3 the rt is being banned from many tourneys, and i dont want something that in a month will be banned form tourneys.
Ed
2) The low pressure kit does not come with the electro kit anymore. It's been about 6 months since those actually shipped from Pyscho with the kits. These days you have to also buy the LP kit if you wanna have a real LP electro 98.

3)The RT is being looked at to be banned by SOME tourneys. Keep in mind that the Automag RT is still being looked at 4 or so years after it came out. Just because people hear they might ban a gun, doesn't mean that it will ever happen.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:15 AM #18
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
Icey... you can't read. Like I already said, you must not have seen the fact that it said a STOCK m98 has no advantage.... and for the most part, a stock 98 doesn't except for less o-ring damage, and less cloudage.

However, an Impulse you say goes for about 400. However... from what I've heard, their customer service really sucks.

With the tippmann, along with the greatest customer support ever, you can buy the M98Custom and the electro kit for 350 bucks. Then with the low pressure, you can call up tippmann, ask for the lightened spring... and they'll send you one. Then seperately, you can buy the VA w/ T fitting and LP chamber, cost of around 38 bucks.

Any ways, enough of the damn math. You get the idea, it's around the same amount of money. Either way, you're digging into your pocket and getting a good gun. Money wise, it doesn't matter. It's more about one's personal feel now as compared to the price.

And don't give me that "since this is the 98 forum, it's biased". I'm speaking from personal experience with my 98. If you go to www.completepaintball.com and look there, I am the person that made that long *** list of about 20 things on the "what do you have about the m98" thread. So it's not like I don't know it's flaws.

Any ways, this is just getting a little off topic. But you were wrong saying that the M98 wasn't designed to go LP or electro, because it can be. Otherwise... then my gun isn't made to do what it does... but it does it any ways magically.

And I'm spent.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 07-31-2001, 05:32 PM #19
IcEy
Vermont

No I read STOCK STOCK STOCK I was saying the imp will cost less with the upgrades stock then with a 98 with those upgrades. When I said it wasn't designed for those for lp and electro it isn't you have an lp chamber and 9v in the most awkward place. A long time after the 98 had been made they thought of these upgrades. So in the design of the 98 it wasn't designed to do these things. I commend tippmann on making these possible though. I'm not saying the imp is better or that any gun is better then the 98. I never would say that because it is pure crap.

""With the tippmann, along with the greatest customer support ever, you can buy the M98Custom and the electro kit for 350 bucks. Then with the low pressure, you can call up tippmann, ask for the lightened spring... and they'll send you one. Then seperately, you can buy the VA w/ T fitting and LP chamber, cost of around 38 bucks.""

Alright you have your electro for 350, but your missing the major parts of the lp kit the new valve and extremly milled hammer without these your not going to do much. I tried this. You will also need a reg or an adjustable tank. Which leaves the imp more cost effective. However nothing is more durable and dependable then a 98.

As far as being biased you said I was flaming. I definatly wasn't. So that is why I wrote that.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:29 PM #20
Reklats

How necessary is this lp kit? From my experience, lp kits for blowbacks are pretty pointless. Why wouldn't hpa work without one? If you could just get the electro kit and a nitro tank, I'd do that. BTW, what's the difference between tippmann electro kits? The one I saw had a battery by the old cocking slot, and a rock reg going to the solenoid.

As for smart parts customer service being bad, I'll tell you why. A bunch of model 98 owners are buying impulses, and becoming electro newbies. Then they do stupid stuff with them that they could get away with when they had their 98's, and go whine to smart parts when they break. So smart parts gets FLOODED with repairs...hence bad service. It hasn't been a problem for me because I've been able to minimize contact with them by NOT BREAKING MY GUN. Pretty simple really.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:41 PM #21
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Reklats
How necessary is this lp kit? From my experience, lp kits for blowbacks are pretty pointless. Why wouldn't hpa work without one? If you could just get the electro kit and a nitro tank, I'd do that. BTW, what's the difference between tippmann electro kits? The one I saw had a battery by the old cocking slot, and a rock reg going to the solenoid.
The LP kit is by no means necessary but some of us have a use for the benefits. You get less recoil, better efficiency, and better shot consistancy. HPA will work fine with the gun and you'll see improvements in consistancy leaps ahead of co2.

The difference between that E-kits, one of them is a pneumatic ram kit that replaces the sear, hammer and other parts. This helps consistancy and ROF and is more like some high level electros operate. The other kit is just a sear tripper that uses the stock internals to increase ROF.