Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-30-2005, 10:17 PM #1
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

Ryantheeskimo is a Supporting Member
Sponsorship?

Ok, I want some info from a field owner's point of view.

Me and my buddies play at a local reball field every other wednesday. It's $25 for 2 hours of unlimited air and reballs, so It's a great deal. However, a couple of us have decided to start a team from scratch - none of us have any tourney experience, but we have the time, funds, and love for the game to give it all we've got. So we wanna start a rookie team, and we're pretty good friends with the owner. Here's what I want your advice on:

We wanna try to make some kind of deal with him, like a sponsorship thing... Here's the offer we were thinking about making him, and we just want input/advice/other ideas that might work.

We aren't going to ask for ANY discounts on product at all. We're willing to pay full price for any merchandise in the store that we need. We're also paying for our everything ourselves - tourney fees, pants, jersey's, everything. We are going to offer to be walking billboards for his shop - we will advertise with flyers, word of mouth, any way we legally can. We will also hold fundraisers every other month or so for his shop - some money will go towards our team, the rest will go directly to him. We will also offer to do anything around the shop we can to help - putting in new carpeting, netting, maintainence on rentals, whatever needs to be done.

The only thing we want in return is to be able to play at his shop for free or for a discounted price (maybe like $10 or $15 instead of $25.) We would be setting up the field, and cleaning it up ourselves once we're done - it'd be like we weren't even there. We'd only come in on times that he has no one else scheduled to play. We'd take whatever team name he wanted us to (if he wanted us to use one that he made or something) and we'd advertise as much as possible. So I was wondering, as field owners, does this sound like a decent proposition? Or is there something else we should add to our offer? We plan on practicing all fall/winter until the next season of spring/summer tourney's begins, as to start of with decent odds. Any tips, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 AM #2
Signal20
Who Me?

Signal20 is a Supporting Member
Signal20 plays in the PSP
Signal20 plays in the MiLP
Signal20 plays in the APPA D4 division
The things you talked about doing are good.

I would ask him about time for time. Your team refs/cleans up or whatever for a certain amount of time each month in return you get a certain about of playing time in return. That is what I do for a local team that I sponsor.

You have to remember that since it is a reball field he his not making any money off of your team from paint. So you would need to support him by buying most of your gear from him.

Just my thoughts...

OLD PBN Feedback 12/0/0
Old 08-31-2005, 12:33 AM #3
shatteredreality

shatteredreality is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
your thinking a little big for someone who never played a tourney, go out and play some local tournies, then decide how serious you are and how good you guys are, etc
Old 08-31-2005, 12:44 AM #4
Signal20
Who Me?

shatteredreality has a good point.

I would want to make sure that a team wanting to be sponsored was a stable team and wasnt just going to get burnt out and quit. Not saying that your team is that type but I have seen it before.

OLD PBN Feedback 12/0/0
Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 AM #5
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

We've already decided to be dedicated, and we've started praciticing already. That's why we wanna practice during the winter, so that when we get in our first tourney, we can play decently.

Also I forgot to add in the offer that we WOULD be buying any equipment we need from him, like signal suggested.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:36 AM #6
mousek801
Blasé Polar Bear

reball feilds sound cool.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:42 AM #7
Signal20
Who Me?

They are.. I am working on starting one in addition to my outdoor field.

OLD PBN Feedback 12/0/0
Old 08-31-2005, 01:49 AM #8
mousek801
Blasé Polar Bear

sorry to hijack this thread, what fps does youe feild play at? id think lower cuz they problally hurt more.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 AM #9
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

we play at 230<

No point in higher fps, since they're not gonna break no matter what you set your velocity at.

But does our offer sound good?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 AM #10
Pro Star Sports
Field Operations Pro

Well there’s nothing wrong with being ambitious and holding a desire to accomplish a dream. If you really want to build a reputable team and stay on the winning side your on the right track with your attitudes so far. The sponsorship stuff falls into place for those who work for it to. You took the right attitude up front by not wanting anything for free to start with. The first goal is to prove your worth to the companies you wish to represent for their return support. Bill Mills from Warpig.com said it well “Sponsorships take many forms in paintball, but the one shape in which you will almost never find them is paintball welfare. Just because a sponsored player or team is getting money or goods from their sponsor does not mean they are getting it for free”.
Going on in the article he states “Paintball fields are a great potential sponsor for an exchange of services arrangement. Field owners always need workers – whether it is for clearing brush and building bunkers, or refereeing games. For a field owner, if they can get workers without paying out cash in salaries for them, they’ve helped their bottom-line. A fairly common sponsorship arrangement between a paintball field and a team is for the team to provide an agreed upon number of people to work at the field for a set number of hours each month in exchange for not having to pay to use the field for practices, and a discount on buying paint.”
The big thing to remember when talking about sponsorship is that it is a business deal. The sponsor is giving goods or services to the player or team, and if it’s going to be a good deal for them, they’ve got to be getting something back.” You can read his article at http://www.warpig.com/paintball/arti...ps/index.shtml and you’ll have a better insight as to what approach to take. As for the field your talking about, I have a pretty good idea which one it is and know the owner well. He’s very hip on supporting the sport and would work you a deal if you ask….
Paintball Field Operation Experts
www.prostarsports.net

Captain - Colorado Surge
www.coloradosurge.com

www.worldpaintballlibrary.com
Old 08-31-2005, 05:32 PM #11
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

Thx for the replies
Old 09-01-2005, 12:04 AM #12
Paintball Invasion
NJ Indoor/ Outdoor fields

Well I have to say I've heard this before. Yes it's great but does the owner want you there working, sure. Some of your team may show up for a day or two but usally it does not last. Your team will complain that there working so......hard and for what?
etc....
What you should poss to the perspective owner of the field is that you will bring him customer. Where do you start to do this and get reconized for doing this?
Ask the owner for brochures and coupons with your team name on them. When he receives the coupon back from a new customer your team gets credits. You and he will have to determine what each brochure to credit is worth. Once you build enough credits you get what you want. example: Flyer miles trip to Hawaii
Your team will find it easier to talk to people about where they play paintball than cleaning the broken paintballs out of any corners.

Your welcome,
Mark
Paintball Invasion
www.paintballinvasion.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hammon...n/148626242460
192 South Rt 73
Winslow Twp, NJ 08037
609-704-7787
www.paintballinvasion.com
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 AM #13
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is a Moderator
EvilPopTart is a Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is playing at Living Legends VII
EvilPopTart is Boss
the way past sponsorships Ive been involved with normally revolve around staffing events and refereeing normal days of paintball. The 8 hours you provide as a dependable ref who provides and fun and save experience for new players is invaluable for field owners. You being positive and helpful keeps players coming back with friends and their friend's friends.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:58 AM #14
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

This field doesn't need refs - its run on a complete honor system, since its a small indoor reball field. Therefore, we can't offer to ref. And like Invasion was saying, Our main goal and offer is to ultimately bring a larger customer base to him, making people aware of his shop and field, as well as help out with anything he may need us for, such as maintainence on rentals, or anything we can do.
I appreciate all of your input

Thanks. Any other ideas???
Old 09-01-2005, 12:58 AM #15
Signal20
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPopTart
the way past sponsorships Ive been involved with normally revolve around staffing events and refereeing normal days of paintball. The 8 hours you provide as a dependable ref who provides and fun and save experience for new players is invaluable for field owners. You being positive and helpful keeps players coming back with friends and their friend's friends.
I agree 100%

EDIT: Ryan you posted while I was still trying to post so I am responding to what you wrote.

Maybe not ref the games but clean up. The reballs need to be gathered off of the field in whatever manner the owner has setup and the they need to be cleaned then restocked. Also most reball places have someone watching to make sure no one takes the reballs off of the field. These are the kind of jobs that a field owner would need.

OLD PBN Feedback 12/0/0

Last edited by Signal20 : 09-01-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:11 AM #16
zdawgsc
"***** Please" -Snoop Dog

if u did all that stuff for him i would ask for free play at the field not a discount cause i mean you guys will bring him alot of business
Old 09-01-2005, 01:15 AM #17
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

Alrighty. Sounds good. Thanks a ton for all the input guys. PBN rules

Now I just have to wait and see how this goes... I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:28 AM #18
Gein

Good luck. Approach is everything. Talk about what you'll give him before you ask for what you want. Something along the lines of, "My new team was talking the other day at our regular team meeting and decided we would like to start helping out around your awesome store. Being the perfect players and kids that we are, we wanted to ask for some brochures and business cards so we can help promote you and your business. Also, we want to have your logo put onto our jerseys so we can advertise when we go to tournaments." (Then go into helping around the store/field) He'll be the one to bring up what he'll do in return. Have your goals solidly planted in your head. Negotiate if you have to. Just keep in mind you are at his mercy. Again, good luck.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:40 PM #19
CaptCocker
Your mom loves me!

CaptCocker is a Supporting Member
if he dosnt give you that "sponsorship" hes an idiot because your doing alot more for him then hes doing for you....you would be better off just paying full price and not being the guys *****, then when you get good you wont have to do all that work...
Old 09-01-2005, 06:11 PM #20
PBRICKSTER
PUMP NEWB

Um Me And My Freinds Have Been Paintballing Together For A Long Time Now We Usually Speedball And We're Thinking Of Getting A Team Together We're Really Really Good Together .if Anyone Can Gimme Some Info On Some Like Tourney Stuff That Would Be Great Thanx.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:19 PM #21
Chris AKA Smalls
Rippen 05 FREESTYLE

i think the deal u have is good, but that is if u will do it all, when my team started we wanted to do all that stuff for are feild, yea we did it for about 2 weeks and said f it. u spend all the time workin and get a lil dicount it sucks, when u are spendin a ton of $ on tourneys. yea everyone thinks they are really erally good with each other untill u start to play teams u have never played before. trust me we were the same way. just cuz we could walk over the kids back at home everyday. we thought it would be jsut as easy.

but yea hope that helps