Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-30-2005, 12:07 PM #1
RJR168
Rep 406...the WHOLE State

RJR168 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Questions from a broke college kid!

Members,

As a broke college student who is pressed for time and money, I am wondering is there some way that I can get hooked up with a wholesale dealer without the need for actual retail space? I would be using sites like pbnation, pbreivew, AO, and other paintball boards to sell my wares. This would provide me with a perfect oppurtunity to capitalize both my time and money.

Is this possible or am I just dreaming?

Peter B.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2005, 12:21 PM #2
Pro Star Sports
Field Operations Pro

First off youíll have to go out and spend money on the required business licenses for your state and city. Doing it the legal way requires this and will be necessary for establishing wholesale accounts with distributors. You will also face opening order requirements from a few hundred to thousands of dollars from many of them as well. Profitability is also in question as you wonít have any purchasing power established and wonít be able to really compete with the larger competition. To make a serious run at it youíll need a few thousand invested wisely in products that will turn over quickly. But itís nothing that others havenít tried or are currently doing right now as it is.
Paintball Field Operation Experts
www.prostarsports.net

Captain - Colorado Surge
www.coloradosurge.com

www.worldpaintballlibrary.com
Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 PM #3
beeper

Peter,

Like Andy said there is more to just getting accounts. You have to follow the law when it comes to starting a business. On that note you need to check your city code and see if you can run a business out of your home. Some cities don't like you to run a businesss from your home. Also tax comes into play. You have to collect it and pay it. Its not all just going to fall into place with selling a few products and depending on your load in school this might be the most time consuming thing (finances). There is also a federal tax clause called the "hobby clause" it states that you need to be turning so much of a profit to stay in business. It there to prevent people from starting there own business just to get a tax break and a price break on goods. I'd do a lot more research and kinda feel things out. You won't be able to under sale bigger businesses so your going have to go off of service, and service takes a lot of time. Good Luck

-One college student to another

-Mike

Drop me an email if you have any questions!!

WKS
Old 08-30-2005, 12:50 PM #4
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
Peter,

As a college student who runs a business to another looking to start one. It is no where near all candy and roses. I work about 70 hours a week on O2 Sports/ACHQ and it really only generates enough profits to cover my playing expences. This year it's just barely going to cover my living costs too. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But because of the work I can not get another job, and come christmas time I usually have to ask my proffessors to let me take my exams a week early so I can handle the christmas rush.

Something to consider is that while you are looking at places like PBNation and Ebay to sell your wares, you have to do the entire profits equation (something most paintball resellers don't account for). Let's asume you can buy an Ion for $210. You see them selling on PBN and EBay for 235. Kewl, you just made $25 right? Wrong.

235 - 210 (cost) = 25
25 - 6 (Shipped to you cost) = 19
19- 14 (Shipped to them, $11 shipped USPS + $3 box and packed materials) = 5
5 - 7.35 (3% + .30 paypal) = -2.35
-2.35 - 4.55 (Ebay fee or PBN NIB fee) = -6.90

and don't forget returns....

If you are gung ho about it, go for it. But unless you can put the time into a well known website or store front, the chances of making money are few and far between.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:51 PM #5
JxTxCxNx
800JESSIES.COM

I've only met a tiny percent of _truly_ broke college kids. Most spent their cash on CDs, beer, concerts, beer, pot, beer, girlfriends, and beer.

College kids tend to have the most disposable income of any age group.

Buying at wholesale will save you nothing. If you'll buy $5000/month total and sell it online or to friends, you'll gross maybe $1000. $300 goes to sales tax, $100 to UPS, $100 to an accountant, and maybe $100 to web hosting + phone company.

You're better off getting a job at Papa John's. The industry is better off if you let retailers make a profit so that we can sponsor tournament events, teams, clinics, and hire more staff.

As more people sell online, profits drop and the sport can fall apart. See BMX for proof!

--dada
Brian(LB)Fow Fan Club Member #11[/size]
Still love him.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:27 PM #6
MikeM

MikeM is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR168
Members,

As a broke college student who is pressed for time and money, I am wondering is there some way that I can get hooked up with a wholesale dealer without the need for actual retail space? I would be using sites like pbnation, pbreivew, AO, and other paintball boards to sell my wares. This would provide me with a perfect oppurtunity to capitalize both my time and money.

Is this possible or am I just dreaming?

Peter B.
To echo much of what's been said...you're probably just dreaming.

There are so many little things that will eat up both your time and money (which you say are both in short supply), that you are certain to be better off in both areas with any part-time job.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:31 PM #7
RJR168

Thanks for all the information. Maybe It will just be better to finish off the double major and then take the time afterwards and invest it into a store front and actual retail location.

Regards,

Peter B.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:23 PM #8
beeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR168
Thanks for all the information. Maybe It will just be better to finish off the double major and then take the time afterwards and invest it into a store front and actual retail location.

Regards,

Peter B.

That Sounds good. Good luck in college!

WKS
Old 08-30-2005, 04:42 PM #9
RJR168

2 semesters left to go.