Annual Supporting Member
paintball8869 is a Supporting Member
paintball8869 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
paintball8869 supports Pev's Paintball
paintball8869 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
paintball8869 is Legendary
Looking for advice from FIELD owners

We've just started up a field and I had a couple of questions for those of you that have your own FIELDS with small small onsite stores.

This is my general idea of how to run the store, please correct/add on any suggestions you may have to it.

1. High pressure fills (4500psi compressor so we always have air) (free with entrance)
2. CO2 fills
3. Supair field
4. woods field

That's what we have currently. We are looking to expand and get an Xball field next year, and a much much bigger compressor.

What I'm really wondering about is the stocking issues. We always stock plenty of varieties of PMI Paint (awesome deal with them, they're our only paint brand, noone else can compare the price/quality they give us). We also have a bunch of the essentials, barrel condoms, squeegees, orings, macro, fittings, etc.

Being that we're primarily a field, I dont think that we will benefit from carrying various hats, bandanas, body kits for guns, off colored barrels, etc. I think we should stick with what we know will sell well and not just sit there on the shelves. Is this how others who have been in the field business for a while feel? Am I completely wrong on that? I feel that carrying 10-20 thousand in stock on stuff that isnt gonna move in a few months is not worthwhile and will only lose money in the long run (obviously the opposite of what we're trying to do with the field).
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2005, 01:05 PM #2
dyepsycho
Blue Belt

has been a member for 10 years
dyepsycho owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
You are exactly correct on what your doing
At the field I work at (sorry I don't own it but I work more on the administration side of things) we stock tippmann A5's, A5 Barrels, squeegees and other things like that.
Also, look into rails and drops, those are universal and sell great
also
get some of the new reloader's with the magnet lids, those are selling great for us.
With the field, focus on getting groups shooting, lift the full auto ban (we did, works great) as long as everyone's OK with it.
the paint is the best stuff to carry, that and jerseys.
and from what I've heard that you should charge by the 1000PSI until you pay off the compressor, Our field didnt have the problem, my boss got his compressor from a friend at comp AIR for a good price.
But, put up a little sign saying we can order specific marker parts.
Hope I helped.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 PM #3
Pro Star Sports
Field Operations Pro

I agree. Stick with perfecting your field business as thatís where the money is to start with. There will be a demand for some small items as players tend to loose or leave them at home. Your correct on O-rings, burst disks, squeegies, condoms and tanks for example are worthy items to have available. We distribute inexpensive full finger camo gloves that sell well to. Leave the rest to everyone else as your there to provide the playing fields as Wal-Mat hasnít figured out a way to pakage a few acres of land with all the nessecities yet!

Our local fields have found that using a all day air fee for either Co2 or HPA priced accordingly as the best route. You can however offer air with entrace feeís as you have it but donít sell yourself short thinking low ball feeís is the answer. Your operating a entertainment based business of which customers will pay for these needed esentials before they can get on the field. Most of your buiness will be generated from the first time players if your working it right anyways and they are the ones willing to pay a preminium for the thrill and entertainment factor of the sport.
Paintball Field Operation Experts
www.prostarsports.net

Captain - Colorado Surge
www.coloradosurge.com

www.worldpaintballlibrary.com

Last edited by Pro Star Sports : 08-30-2005 at 12:41 PM.