Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-23-2005, 09:12 AM #1
DeltaFox
Im in the 50

has been a member for 10 years
Suggestions to improve GPL

Hey,

I haven't seen a thread dedicated on peoples ideas to improve the GPL experience, so here comes one. Post your ideas on what YOU think could be done differently to make the next tournament a better overall experience. Please refrain from any flaming, and please do not post without contributing a positive idea.

1) Reffing :
I worked as a ref on the xball field. (Yes Cyndi, I was late. Sorry about that, wont happen again ) I believe that reffing was pretty straight on throughout the day. However, when it came time for finals we did not have a chrono referee assigned to us. We had to drop one of our field refs to let him do that job. (He didn't seem to mind though ) I would like to see one dedicated chrono ref for each field throughout the day, just like the field and head referees are.

I did see some rather young referees. I am not looking to attack them in any way with this post, they were trying to do their job to the best of their ability. I have worked with younger referees (and been one myself) and feel that they are unable to hold their own in a tournament setting. Most of the younger referees are hesitant to get in their for a paint check when not told to by someone else. They also will often change their calls when a player says "that is just rub". Third, they almost NEVER will pull a penalty due to fear of players yelling at them. I would like to see a minimum age of 16-17-ish for all referees to insure that they get the job done.

MAKE SURE that you always continue to give the refs the coolers full of sandwiches, juice, fruit etc. That was a huge boost.

2) Scheduling

Cyndi/Shawn, have you been to any of the NEPL tournaments? When they draw up schedules they number each game. An example of a teams schedule might read games 3 and 16 on the APS field, games 22 and 29 on the Xball field, games 35 and 44 on the Dells field, game 51 on the APS field, and game 63 on the Xball field. The field will have a schedule that has their games listed with numbers assigned to them. Rather than calling teams to the fields, they simply call out what number game is currently playing on what field. An example of a call is APS game 33, Dells game 31, Xball game 35. If you have Xball game 37, you know you have to get there ASAP. It is then simple for the teams to do the math to figure out how many games they have until they are up. If they don't show, then they forefit.

A second thing is that I believe we should not wait so long for individual teams that are no-shows. We waited up to twenty minutes before asking for a final call. This was the real reason that finals went into the dark, if we assigned so little as one or two forefits we could have had finals over without going so late.

3) Good job with the online-real time scoring. Thats a nice feature that will help boost the appeal. Also, nice prizes too.

Thanks for all your hard work Cyndi/Shawn/DHP and all associated with the running of the tournament.
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 PM #2
BigBlackZach
Pballer for life

this event was a lot better only thing i thing would be nice to have the chepper paint agine and feild layouts that all i want
People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
Wawa Fan Club #14
Old 08-24-2005, 11:25 AM #3
LazyBoyPB
1337 M1D P1@Y3R

try to have the refs on the field makin the start of games quickly so that one field does not become behind scedule, because that happend at event 4, i would have a aps field game, and since they were behind, itd be right when i had a game for raven so then i had to play the aps game, RUN back to my area , fill up on paint, then go get air, then run back to raven field and play. took a lot of energy out of me. and it didnt happen only once, it happend a few times.

NYSD...WHAT!!!
NYSD...YEAH!!!
NYSD...OK!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:49 AM #4
germz123
Dynamo Kids

germz123 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBoyPB
try to have the refs on the field makin the start of games quickly so that one field does not become behind scedule, because that happend at event 4, i would have a aps field game, and since they were behind, itd be right when i had a game for raven so then i had to play the aps game, RUN back to my area , fill up on paint, then go get air, then run back to raven field and play. took a lot of energy out of me. and it didnt happen only once, it happend a few times.
or they could have all ur games on a specific field in a row so tht wouldnt happen.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:01 AM #5
spezamaho
Shablam...Dogbert

spezamaho owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i agree with the younger ref idea no offence to them or anything. but have an age cap, or something. or get nppl certified refs.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 PM #6
KinGz BlaZe
"Oh No!"

KinGz BlaZe is a Supporting Member
KinGz BlaZe plays in the PSP
KinGz BlaZe plays in the APPA D5 division
a slightly cheaper paint price... im sure everyone would like that...

Also an ice machine... just in case people need ice for their coolers, to cool down, etc.
GWC Approved #74 B/S/T with confidence!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:44 PM #7
ASWANG

a cheaper paint would be awesome (same brand)
Old 08-31-2005, 02:42 PM #8
Paintballer476

Paintballer476 plays in the PSP
Paintballer476 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paintballer476 plays in the APPA D3 division
we always fill our coolers at the hotel before we leave in the morning. Cheaper paint is always a plus, but i dont think it will happen. Atleast the paint problem was taken care of and they got GOOD paint. That orgin is amazing.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:38 PM #9
Bad Mojo

If Del's could grow some grass that would be nice as well. Still coughing up dirt and gravel.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:39 PM #10
scantron
NOR EAST

scantron is a founding member
scantron plays in the APPA D3 division
behind schedule and down time between games

playing games after sunset is insane and there weren't that many teams
use another field if neccessary

i never heard a final call for any teams to the field
hey if thier that late just forfiet them and make an example out of some teams and no one will be late to games again

and what was the deal with what happened to scores at the end of the d1 finals
giving paints to some teams but forfieting other points???
where is the rules clarification for that
Old 08-31-2005, 06:39 PM #11
Paintballer476

Paintballer476 plays in the PSP
Paintballer476 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paintballer476 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mojo
If Del's could grow some grass that would be nice as well. Still coughing up dirt and gravel.
Yeah some grass would be real nice. I still have scrapes on my knees and i wear knee pads and i wear the Jt's with pads in the knees.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:14 PM #12
Money Aint A Thang

Maybe they could set the X-Ball Field up like an X-Ball Field you know actually using the X like the first event when they used the Orlando set up it was kick a**
Old 09-02-2005, 05:27 PM #13
NorCalKid88
Mein Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Aint A Thang
Maybe they could set the X-Ball Field up like an X-Ball Field you know actually using the X like the first event when they used the Orlando set up it was kick a**
i agree. i think putting the x up would make alot of teams happier. i know our team would be
Old 09-05-2005, 10:32 PM #14
Pat980

Annual Supporting Member
Pat980 is a founding member
Pat980 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
how bout a lil less favortism from ref to player.
during the finals a new set of refs with no ties to any teams.

and don't say i need to get better, and stop *****in cause calls weren't made my way.

just a suggestion
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:30 PM #15
LazyBoyPB
1337 M1D P1@Y3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalKid88
i agree. i think putting the x up would make alot of teams happier. i know our team would be
whats the big diffrence if an X is there or not, i just like aztec's... just so u can feel like ur being hot shots thinkin ur playing x ball?

NYSD...WHAT!!!
NYSD...YEAH!!!
NYSD...OK!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:57 PM #16
N.M.E.kid22 (Banned)
.MURDER.

N.M.E.kid22 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBoyPB
whats the big diffrence if an X is there or not, i just like aztec's... just so u can feel like ur being hot shots thinkin ur playing x ball?

how bout the reason is its a completly different game, with the x down, its like nppl super 7. a ton of angles a ton of different combos to hit ppl, and a slower game b/c of lanes taken.

with the x up, its a faster pace, u dont have to "cross it up" a hole lot, u can run 50x. with fairly a lot of ease, when the x is up the game is all about who can get to the outside first and the fastest,

their are 2 different games when the x is up and down, some ppl like 1 some ppl like the other and hell if ur like me i like either,

but your post just shows how ignorant u are to other types of paintball

edit- OO AND NICE AVATAR *******!!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 09:36 PM #17
hudson valley gunner
Dr. Green Thumb

hudson valley gunner is a Supporting Member
The refs should deffinantly be better at the next event because refs are not spread out on the field so its very easy to wipe and put the x up
D2 BALLA
Old 09-11-2005, 09:42 PM #18
hudson valley gunner
Dr. Green Thumb

hudson valley gunner is a Supporting Member
Field Layouts in advance would also be ver helpful
D2 BALLA
Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 PM #19
enforcer
BRONX NY

HEY SHAWN I THINK YOU SHOULD CUT OFF REGISTERING TEAM ONE WEEK BEFORE THE EVENT LIKE THAT YOU CAN PROVIDE EVERYBODY WITH A ONLINE SCHEDULE OF TEAMS, TIMES AND FIELDS THEY WOULD PLAY AT.

WWW.STORMRIDERSPAINTBALL.COM

BEAT US IF YOU CAN SURVIVE IF WE LET YOU
Old 10-13-2005, 10:54 PM #20
Shawn Walker

I would LOVE to do that, but everyone registers the last week.

We can shoot for this next year.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:41 PM #21
breakout17 (Banned)

the reffs shuld be more consistent with their cursing rules...i watched a game where a kids goggles fogged up like crazy...he was yelling fcuk fcuk,***** all other curses and the ref jsut said stop cursing ...we had a game 3 mgames later and that same ref called a 2 for 1 on us wen one of our players sed fcuk this i admit it was wrong but a 2 for 1....lets be real