Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM #1
slimco

Clear lens vs colored lens?

I was going to be looking at getting a pair of thermal lens and wanted to get people's take on the colored lens like smoke or a black lens. Is there any advantage to getting a darker pair? Or are they more just for looks?
slimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 PM #2
aresfiend
20% more *****in

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Clear lenses are just for the most basic vision. I personally like them.

Yellow lenses are good for lower light or somewhere with a lot of visual noise (like in the woods or a speedball field at the edge of the woods). Kinda hard to explain it, but everything is just more defined.

A smoke or mirror lens is like having sunglasses, it'll darken everything for you but using them in low light will be a *****.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:12 PM #3
team_xile
Midwest Whiteout

team_xile plays in the APPA D4 division
team_xile is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
team_xile is Legendary
team_xile supports DLX Technology
team_xile supports Empire
I use a clear lens for indoor paintball since the lighting isn't the best. Clear is going to be the most common lens on any mask.

I use tinted or darker lenses for outdoor events.

Colored lenses will make your field of view change depending on which color lens you put in. Aresfiend stated that yellow will enhance certain objects in lower light situations. If you play at dusk or dawn, you may find a yellow lens useful (similar to trap shooting glasses)

Mirrored or Gradient lenses are essentially the same thing. They are both tinted lenses, its just the outside finish that is different. Your tinted lens is ideal for outdoor (daytime) because it will cut down on reflection, and distortion during high sunlight games.

Smoke is just another name for lightly tinted. Smoke lenses won't be as dark as a tinted lens, but it will cut down mildly on glare or distortion in high sunlight situations.

As far as any advantages....it depends on where you play. If you play in mostly cloudy weather conditions I suggest a smoke lens. If you play in mostly sunny/partly cloudy situations, I suggest a darker tint. And if you play indoor, id just stick with clear lenses due to the poor lighting that plagues most if not all indoor facilities.

If you are strictly a woodsball player, I recommend a yellow or blue lens as those are the most likely to work best in shaded or lightly covered situations.
team_xile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 PM #4
aresfiend
20% more *****in

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by team_xile View Post
Smoke is just another name for lightly tinted. Smoke lenses won't be as dark as a tinted lens, but it will cut down mildly on glare or distortion in high sunlight situations.
Smoke varies batch to batch and manufacturer to manufacturer.

I'd easily put my specific Proflex smoke lenses up there with the top of my Profit gradient lens, while I'd put some other ones just below clears, and I'd put the Grill smoke lenses with i4 mirror lenses.