Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-29-2004, 12:08 PM #1
BunkerKing1688
Banned

has been a member for 10 years
Quit Hating on Smart Parts!!

Ok, so I get to this part of the fourm, and all I see is "anti-smart parts" stuff. What we must realize is that they had a good patent, and they are only protecting their patent. If they truly were pricks, they wouldn't settle these lawsuits with everyone. Why dont we all start talking about other legalities. Your stupid hate-mail, etc, wont work. So please, talk about other legalities, not just Smart Parts.

THANKS

"Those who play pump never have to worry about legalities"
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2004, 12:56 AM #2
Destructo6

Well, since most paintball legalities these days involve SP, I don't think you should be too suprised to find that is the dominant topic here.

As for their patent being good...

Unfortunately our patent system is seriously flawed. A pettitioner for a patent is presumed to have a valid claim unless proven otherwise. The patent office spends on average less than 40 man/hours to process, research file paperwork etc. on each patent. Basically, they rely on lawsuits. Lawsuits cost so much that it is often cheper to settle than it is to WIN! Third parties are limited in their legal action unless threatened with a lawsuit.

The fact that nobody has fought SP in court and won is NOT a valid indicator of how good or bad their patent is.

Keep all of them clean.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 PM #3
curtis_belliveau

curtis_belliveau is a Supporting Member
Not only that but their their patent wasn't in place until 2002,at least 5 years after the idea was invented.

They did not start sueing people to protect their idea,they started sueing people to corner the market.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:46 PM #4
nyy

well guess what, if you invent something, then patent it, otherwise you are leaving the door open to anyone to steal you idea. It is PERFECTLY legal, and if i were sp, i would do the same. They saw the opportunity to make money, and they took it, thats what businesses do.

This patent process simply cant change because you need the first inventor to fill out a patent. So if they dont do it, its their fault, no body elses
Old 05-04-2004, 12:42 AM #5
TrojanMan
Condoms

I really done see how anyone can complain about the patent that SP has. They patented an idea before anyone else. No one complains that Adobe patenting Photoshop. What they are doing is perfectly legal. It is AKA's fault for producing a product that violates SP's patent NOT SP.

AKA is just an example. What product have they invented that is inovative? NONE. All a Viking is, is a stacked tubed electro. Exacly like anyother stacked tubed on the market. Excal, shocker. Merlin is an Autococker.

When other companies start to be inovative on thier own then all of this **** will stop.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 AM #6
tmcatdrvr

Obviously most you are ignorant of patent laws. Simply patenting something before anyone else does is not adequate to hold a valid patent. Among other things a patent must be original and not obvious.

Fore example, I could not go and patent the "wheel" just because nobody ever got around to filing a patent yet.

ETEK w/Starframe

B/U Eblade w/zero board and a mech cocker
Old 05-05-2004, 01:12 AM #7
TrojanMan
Condoms

How i am being ignorant? if you know so much about patent laws, then take smart parts to court. The fact of the matter is, that you dont know jack about it. You like to think you do, but you dont. Show me an electro gun before 1996 then maybe i will reconsider my position, but you are the ignorant one in this story.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:50 PM #8
BunkerKing1688
Banned

Possible you are the one that is ignorant, for truly, it seems as if you do not know a lot upon the actual facts of the smart parts story. Smart Parts released the Shocker paintball marker back in 1995 (that year the prototypes were released), but it was not until 1996 that they actually had teams using them. THEY HAD THE PATIENT RIGHT THERE, DURING 1996, when the fear of WDP producing the LED angel was just on the horizon. They patiented it then, and no one fought it, because no one could see that electronics could be put into paintball guns (and if you were well informed upon the subject, you would know the entire Shocker controversy, and the unfair "turbo" modification). They had the patient in 96, before any other person.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:28 PM #9
Vexed
just call me unique.

smartparts patentied a buch of stuff they didn't even invent...now they're sueing good companys to make money... if ur products aren't making u enough money... then u might as well declare bankrupcy and die.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:24 PM #10
ingenexec
Banned

RE: Quit Hating on Smart Parts!!

no.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:49 AM #11
BunkerKing1688
Banned

dude, ingenexec, dont even talk here, you have a ****ing Sentinel TS, is that even electro???? You need to actually have an electro to know what we are talking about... You are just trying to make yourself significant
Old 05-07-2004, 04:01 PM #12
ingenexec
Banned

You couldn't get any further from being wrong if you tried. You see, you guys already HAVE your electros, I'm getting ready to purchase mine. Thus, the increased prices and companies out of business don't affect YOU. All they do is offend and inconvenience you, even though nobody's shut down to the point where existing markers will not be serviced. Many releases are being delayed, forcing people such as myself to wait on our new guns. You know, the ones we buy that keep companies afloat by providing profit to pay for R&D so you can get the latest new toy from said company. That is, unless some OTHER company puts them out of business.

Maybe you shouldn't treat people like noobs just because they dont have 1000 dollars sunk into their marker... yet.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:09 AM #13
tmcatdrvr

Quote:
Originally posted by TrojanMan
How i am being ignorant? if you know so much about patent laws, then take smart parts to court. The fact of the matter is, that you dont know jack about it. You like to think you do, but you dont. Show me an electro gun before 1996 then maybe i will reconsider my position, but you are the ignorant one in this story.
I'm not a patent lawyer, but I read a lot about it. Specifically your post seems to indicate that you believe that the patent process is just a race to the patent office. This is not the case. If for example one company is able to steal an idea (through industrial espionage) from another and patent it, the first company can sue and prove that it was working on the idea years earlier. Also, inventions must be original, not obvious, and advancing the sciences and arts.
Also your request that I take SP to court demonstrates a certain lack of understanding. If you knew more about patent law you would know that you can not challenge a patent holder unless the patent holder threatens a lawsuit or demands royalties. You would also know that the cost of litigation is so high that for most companies it is cheaper to settle than to WIN. What SP appears to be doing is not unique but part of a systemic problem. And although not illegal per se, I personally find it immoral.

Try reading this-
http://www.ftc.gov/os/2003/10/innovationrpt.pdf
Old 05-08-2004, 05:55 PM #14
Devinbonn
drugs are bad mmmkay...

smart parts sucks
-SMART PARTS SUCKS-
My Feedback -- http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=508259
I NEED A TEAM -- DES MOINES, IOWA AREA!
Old 05-22-2004, 01:42 AM #15
Spartan X
Unbanned

Spartan X is a Supporting Member
is any of you SP lovers in MD?..............darn not allowed to say what I wanted!

Old Feedback

My Lifestyle Determines My Deathstyle.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:36 PM #16
DeAtHbYfRyInGpAn
Do work son

DeAtHbYfRyInGpAn plays in the PSP
im an SP lover from MD
Old 05-22-2004, 11:36 PM #17
yeahthatsme
hung

yeahthatsme supports Team VICIOUS
heres the real story:
around 94/95 smart parts commissioned a company known as Pneu Ventures to create the shocker, at the time they had joint rights to the design, and all was well. around 96 smart parts sued Pneu Ventures out of business for sole ownership of the Shocker patent. flashforward to january 2003. Smart Parts made an extension to their original shocker patent EIGHT YEARS LATER to include the use of the electronics to control the firing of the gun, these then caused MANY companies to come under the Smart Parts patent, and SP began to pressure smaller companies into deals to avoid lawsuits.

ICD signed with smart parts and saw a small but still noticeable increase in gun prices

AKA decided to resist against smart parts, and instead of pay them for the use of their design, they opted instead to end production of their Viking and Excalibur markers.

that pretty much covers it, there are some other smaller dealings with bigger companies(Eclipse, DYE, NPS, etc) but they were deals signed behind closed doors, so any info on those is pure speculation.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:54 PM #18
TurpentineDreams

"...if the patent is overbroad, then no public benefits stand to justify its effects..."
?[t]he Patent
Clause itself reflects a balance
between the need to encourage
innovation and the avoidance of
monopolies which stifle
competition without any
concomitant advance in the
?Progress of Science and useful
Arts.??
straight from the trade commision.
sp didn't invent e-markers.
sp just put this really broad patent on it.
that breaks 2 laws right there.
and they are enforcing it. ajd snuffing out companies. i think that makes 3 laws now?
Old 05-30-2004, 05:46 PM #19
MaLfUnCtIoN
My life... in buddy form.

Quote:
Originally posted by Devinbonn
smart parts sucks
theres an intelligent point. dont back it up. all that thinking might give you a hemmorage.

let's assume for a moment, thatsp is just out for money. well, thats the way of the world. get used to it. for centuries people have killed for it. so it shouldnt be a shock that a company is trying to make money. we'd all do the same thing if we had the chance.

and whats this about stopping the progression of paintbal technologies? whoever uses this as an anti sp point is backwards. companies being forced to not use this design will have to make a new one. thats progression. if it werent for competition like this, there'd be no advancement. thats part of why russia is behind the u.s. they dont have the competition that we do so there is nothing driving them to think up new technology. this will lead to great new ideas people.

sp designed the first marker of this type. it costs them alot. the fact that they are trying to make money off of it is legal and in my opinion, the way it should be.
You have more than one ball sack? You sick freak. "
"Originally posted by islandboi to ?
hahaha your dad touches you in places. "
FEEDBACK
Old 05-31-2004, 05:18 AM #20
Kullervo

Kullervo is a Supporting Member
TurpentineDreams has a point
simply electronics in paintball markers patent is a very broad thing.
adding that it is the logical progression of everything our society has done since the development of the first electronic device. Think about everything out there and think of its more advanced electronic counterpart.
I myself am surrounded by hundreds of devices that have mechanical or none electrical counterparts but due to the benefits of electronics such as a digital clock instead of some clock I have to wind.
With that in mind you can realize it does create a monopoly of a sort and stifle competition and those who think that it doesn't or that the other companies need to come up with something else lack any sense of reality here. Electronics are the natural evolution of this and all industry.

ps I don't know what a paragraph is.

My Feedback
Old 05-31-2004, 09:30 AM #21
MaLfUnCtIoN
My life... in buddy form.

but now, with companies having to either fight for the right to make electrical guns, they will either go back to mechanicals and try to make them faster or will give up.
You have more than one ball sack? You sick freak. "
"Originally posted by islandboi to ?
hahaha your dad touches you in places. "
FEEDBACK