PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM #43
guile530
Demon Dog!

has been a member for 10 years
Another very important thing to do is hire trustworthy and hardworking employees. A lot of businesses will have financial issues not from being robbed by outside people, but from employees takin the money from the till. a robbery is not very common, and with a well placed security system can be avoided greatly. but while the store is in operation, the employees should be doing a list of theings outlined by you to keep them busy, or helping customers, making what your paying them worth every penny. in the last store i worked in, the boss didnt keep very good tabs on teh till, wouldnt count it as often as he should, and wouldnt track down every penny. the otehr kid that owrked would occasionally take money from the till, and over the period of just a month it owuld be anywhere from 50-100 bucks off. while not being that much, its quite a bit if your just a small store that doenst do a whole lot of business, like that one. i hope this post made sense.
92/4500 crossfire tank

PM5
Red Halo B
Stiffi Switch
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2005, 12:20 AM #44
Beaney
Deus Ex Machina

Beaney is a Supporting Member
To true a thief will never tire of doing it either. They will only get more costly. Your best bet is to get a camera really to watch the till inventory. They are cheap, easily installed (hidden or open) and they do work for you all the time. Pretty much all places of bussiness opening are installing them at least to watch the till. It really does pay for itself. If you don't have strong interest in the money someone else will.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 AM #45
Deadmeat3344
NOT an ion owner

i will never complain about field prices again! i cant belive it even costs that money per month!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:43 AM #46
SlartyBartFast
"Snitch" rotfl

As someone who has often contemplated getting involved in a field, this is an excellent thread to read.

Yet, even with the costs involved I still can't help but complain about the local pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
BTW, if the entry fee does not include all-day air, I will not play at that field, period. For me, that's a 'show stopper'!
Exactly. Treat your customers with respect. Set a per client profit point and stick to it. Try and build it into as few extras as possible.

It's disgusting to go to a field and find that you are absolutely soaked on EVERY little thing. A low entry few might trick people first time, but add high rental, pay per fill, high field paint costs, and huge lists of extras, and only the foolish will return.

In the business plan first presented, 20$/head was needed. So, make entry and rental just that. Then sell paint at a low markup. Cheap paint will keep the customers playing longer and increase sales of drinks and snacks.

And definitely pay refs. If the refs aren't friendly, involved, and enthusiatic, the customers will not want to return. Pay them, and let them play cheap (at cost pricing). The happier the employees, the better the experience for the customers and the more return business and good word of mouth.

However, the biggest negative (and I've seen two fields close because of this) is to allow your regulars or refs to play agressively against walk-ons.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:27 AM #47
Pro Star Sports
Field Operations Pro

In truth there are many factors involved here and everyone has touched on some very relevant points. Field startup cost due vary as there are so many different factors involved. Just to provide some more insight also consider the following.

LAND/LEASE COST
Here is the bottom line. Your fixed land or lease cost should not exceed $6.00 per player. This is the maximum. You really want to strive for $3.00 per player or less. Purchasing land can be a good idea if the underlying real estate is expected to appreciate. Your developing a going business might create that appreciation in itself. You should be able to locate information on the land you are interested in, including tax information, from the county assessor’s office. If a property is in tax default you might be able to buy it for the default amount or negotiate a better purchase price with the land owner. Leasing land that is in tax default can be risky.

CALULATING YOUR MARKET POTENTIAL
Based on recent player statistics from 2002, I would estimate 3% of the population will be your primary market. Of course, this will grow in the next few years. This number may dramatically change in college communities or at recreational destinations. Generally, your market will be the areas within an hour drive. However, if you build the “Disneyland” of paintball, such as Hot Pursuit, Victor, Colorado did, you could pull people from 3 or 4 hours away. Let’s say you have a market of 100,000 people. Potentially 3000 people will play, three times in a year. 9000 player days at $48.00 per player is a potential gross income of $432,000.00.
This potential market will be reduced by competitors. However, the main potential market is actually everyone between the ages of 10 years to 25 years of age. Of course, there are players in all the other age brackets too. The actually potential market for paintball is huge and far exceeds three percent. This potential market is what I believe will expand the sport to 30,000,000 players within 10 years. Around nine percent of the US population should be playing paintball annually by 2013. Those kind of numbers exists in rollerblading/skateboarding, so why not paintball?
I have recently become aware of an indoor facility in a market of about 2 million people. There are many other indoor facilities and outdoor fields. This 80,000 square foot facility is costing $32,000.00 a month. Put a pencil to it. They cannot survive!

Now go back and factor in all of your relevant costs of operation and the numbers will start to become clear. Operations that are ran correctly and treated with a pure business tone have unlimited potential to turn profits when scaled to the market potential.

Remember, your running your field as entertainment business and not a passing fancy. Our studies show that the rec/first time player market is the target group. Field fee’s, rental fee’s, etc included in your field packages are your bread and butter along with paint sales. First time players do not care or complain about the cost of this and that as they don’t know any better yet. 80%+ of first time players continue playing on a regular basis. Another 80% of that number spend and average of 3 to 600 $ on their own equipment after their second time of playing. At this point you loose some of that customer base to other fields and events throughout the year back and forth but you’ll focus is to continue on the newbie player. Just some more added input for the masses….
Paintball Field Operation Experts
www.prostarsports.net

Captain - Colorado Surge
www.coloradosurge.com

www.worldpaintballlibrary.com

Last edited by Pro Star Sports : 08-19-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:37 AM #48
soupmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpayne.
wow i never knew feilds cost so much to set up
Try doing a field and store at the same time.

I Like Lego's !!!!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:43 PM #49
chase4556
Please Excuse my spelling

as far as the website goes...I'm a junior, and I know HTML enough to get a decent page up...all from taking a class, where they told us to look online for it. Its really not hard to set it up, I can write basic HTML code, get different pages and links up, pictures, ect. in about 30min.

Get a cheap laptop, and you can do this at night while watching tv, or in any of your spare time. wouldnt be that hard, and would save you money. And after you innitially set up the site...you dont change the overall layout to much. What..prices, pictures...maybe a few other?

I think you could cut some of those costs...reffs, give them a discount, or pay them half way in paint or somthing....you could figure it out.

10-2-2006: Live Water Hole in Africa
Old 08-22-2005, 12:49 AM #50
firebirdude
My Balls > Your Face

firebirdude is a Supporting Member
firebirdude has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Great topic. Makes me want to open a field of my own....

Actually, it doesn't seem that hard. I'm sure I can snag a few acres of land, set up a little hut to keep the rental gear and BAM! Paintball Emporium is born.

I have a field near me that's actually not much more then that. They have no electricity. The HPA compressor runs off gas I believe.....and I think they store all the balls elsewhere and bring in a bunch of boxes each morning. Whatever they're doing it seems to be working. Been open as long as I've been here. (4 1/2 years) Packed as hell everytime I go there too.

For those running the business now, I'm gonna say this. I honestly don't care what the place looks like. Nice well thought out fields and cheap prices go WAYYYY further then anything else. If you have to charge $25/head versus $15/head just to pay for A/C, real toilets, etc...... screw it. I'm going to the ghetto field. I'm there to play paintball first. Cool off and relax a VERY distant (nonexistent) second. When deciding where to play, the first factor is who has the best fields? Close second is the price of rentals/balls/field etc. That's really it. A clean nice place doesn't attract me at all. I'm there to kick *** and play paintball.....and I'm almost out of paint....

Old +42/-0 PBNation FEEDBACK!!

Last edited by firebirdude : 08-22-2005 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:28 AM #51
guile530
Demon Dog!

If you really want to get fancy with your website, there are tons of classes involving macromedia flash. while flash is a little bit more time consuming, it gives awesome effects to a website, and if you ahve pictures, etc... that you have copyrighted, etc... then it helps prevent people from stealing those pictures. flash is very easy, ihave done a few websites in it myself, and makes for a website that attracts people, has easy navigation, and a very clean, but not boring look.

for the reffing issues, a lot of fields i know have sponsered teams do the reffing, and base the sponsership on how good they ref. depending on how much you give them, this plan works fairly well from what i have seen. its a great way to save a bit of money, while still getting the quality reffing. reserve one night a week that the team can do a closed practice, so they arnt raping the walk-ons, or have a designated night for "pro" night, when all the teams and best players come and duke it out. my local field does this, its thurday nights, and everyone knows that you come if you want to learn, but its extremely intense playing, not walk-on material.
92/4500 crossfire tank

PM5
Red Halo B
Stiffi Switch
Old 09-06-2005, 01:58 PM #52
Paintballzombie
SPLATTERZONE PB PARK

A warning to field owners that rent or lease property.... I opened a Field on leased property in 1990. The property was not zoned for business, so I had to open the field as a Club. Which ment limited advertising....... 1 small sign on the biulding, no yellow pages, no newspaper, no road Direction signs. The only advertising was word of mouth & small flyers. Back to the subject. My lease was with a old farmer and it was year to year. I leased 30 acres & a old 40 X 90 steel biulding for $400 a month. Things were moving along pretty good. Then in 2001 the old farmer died and his estate took over control of the property. They gave me a notice that my lease for would not be renewed for 2002. So, to make a long story short, If your plans are long term BUY LAND!

BTW, I have since bought 50 acres and plan on opening my new field in the spring of 2006. (This land has no zoning with Highway frontage)
Old 09-06-2005, 02:30 PM #53
shatteredreality

shatteredreality is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JxTxCxNx
Website/Webmaster: $150/month
Field Manager: $1500/month
Head Ref: $1000/month
Referees: $1500/month
Advertising: $1500/month
There are a lot of things you can cut down on in this bracket. Website costs $10 a month. It is not that hard to use and you can run it your self. So I would say change that from 150, to 10. Field Manager, that can be run by you, the field owner. It's your field, why not run the place. Head ref and referees. Pay in discounts that cost the field almost nothing (example free entry). Plenty of kids will work there, fields around me are always run that way. Advertising, if you run a good field, the only advertising you need are some business cards and flyers, definitly not 1500 a month.

All of that together should be able to knock off at least around 5 grand.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:07 PM #54
SlartyBartFast
"Snitch" rotfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredreality
All of that together should be able to knock off at least around 5 grand.
I believe if you read the whole thread, most of your suggestions are knocked down.

Yes, the owner can do some things. But you should value your time as an owner and you should strive for a proffesional image.

So, that means not scrimping.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:20 PM #55
JxTxCxNx
800JESSIES.COM

Exactly!

A good website is so important. Players want fresh info, tournament schedule updates, tourny scores posted ASAP, new photos, special event notices, etc.

20 hours per month of updates @ $7/hour + $10 hosting is realistic.

Fields need managers. Owners need the assistance or they will go nuts.

--dada
Brian(LB)Fow Fan Club Member #11[/size]
Still love him.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:26 AM #56
OTP2

Also having 6 FPO and 3 BYOP fields all with in a hour of you does not help. As you stated earlier in this thread.

Also have seen your website, and if you pay that kind of money for that site, you are getting ripped off. Trust me. Not to offend you but I have seen Free sites look better.

Last edited by OTP2 : 09-07-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:58 PM #57
Rexx Havokk

Bottomline to lifes blood of paintball is your customer...and I am not speaking of your local tourney crews either. you have to have an edge to your park or field. Why would someone want to take the time and treasure and bring it to your field/park... Your facility has to be original, it has to be something they want to attend....

You can throw tons of money on a beautiful field, best equipment, but if your customer does not attend your dead.

I learned from the master himself in this, Dennis from SC Village... and from day one it was the new player or what we call the Rec or Hobby player...They bring in the money and they bring something else...friends.....

Your rent gear, they buy paint, they buy food and drinks....and they may only do it every other month or so....get enough and you have a great steady stream of revenue....And I've seen his revenues....un-flippin believeable.....

The locals, yeah their nice, but they are not the lifes blood....it's the rec player....

Arena fields lose their appeal to this type of player after awhile, unless you have a hook.....
Old 09-07-2005, 10:36 PM #58
JxTxCxNx
800JESSIES.COM

Candyman had a hook

--dada
Brian(LB)Fow Fan Club Member #11[/size]
Still love him.