Referees: $1500/month
Air Management labor: $1500/month
Registration/Service labor: $2000/month
Advertising: $1500/month
Bunker/netting/compressor maintenance: $300/month
Recurring Total: $13,950/month

Gross overhead: $15,100/month
Weekly average overhead: $3552
I'm joining this late and just addressing dada's original post. We started small and grew as profit became available. Our goal was to incur no debt with the business. We paid cash for everything along the way, so our growth took some time. Three years later we now have seven fields and just about everything set up how we want it. We anticipate having everything complete as we envisioned by the end of 2005.

This isn't a hypothetical field, but essentially what we did for our field. I present this to let people know that you can pursue the dream and make it happen without needing $50,000 to start or $15,000 per month in revenue to stay afloat. We certainly did it, and I'm sure many others have as well.

The toughest part is finding land in an area that is zoned, close enough to draw business, and a landlord that is willing to work with you. It took us some time, but it was well worth it as you can see by the difference in what the hypothetical business pays and what we pay.

Land

I found 28 acres of available land already zoned. I had three options available to me.

1. Buy the land (owner financed) -- highest monthly cost
2. Rent the land on a fixed $$ per month -- lowest monthly cost
3. Pay a per person fee. -- easiest monthly cost

We opted for the per person fee for my first two years. Since it was a "pay-as-I-go" method, we didn't have to sweat the slow times. Sure we paid more during the busy times, but we only paid more because we made more. We're now in year three and working out the details on buying the land. Total start up cost = $0

Staging

We use spools obtained for free from phone company. Shade was provided by excess netting. Cost = $0

Fields

We started out with two fields (7 man) that we had to pole and net, 1 hyperball and one Sup Air. Rec fields required no netting/poles, just some work to clear and set up. Poles/netting = $3000. Hyperball = $1000 Sup Air = $4000. Total cost = $8000

Air

We did the nitrogen bulk tank method for the first year. Total cost = $500

Rentals

We were able to work out a great deal on quality rentals, all new. We started with 25 packages. Total cost = $2100

Misc Start up

Insurance ($1200), Portable building ($4000), Website ($180 for domain name 3yr, 1 year hosting--we use frontpage and maintain ourselves), Paint ($3500). Probably forgetting a few things, but it's been a few years

Total Startup Cost: $19,480.

Of course you don't have to use a portable building (save $4000), and you can probably start with 1/2 skid of paint to save $1700). We just wanted to start out looking professional...I have friends that used old mobile homes (if availble) that they got for under a $1000.

Recurring Costs (open weekends only)

Insurance: $100/month
Utilities: $150/month (phone, power, portapotties, etc)
Field Manager: $500/month
Referees: We require sponsored teams to do this on a rotation. Bad reffing results in reduced deals. They do a great job! $0/month
Advertising: $50/month
Bunker/netting/compressor maintenance: $50/month
CO2 fees: $200/month
Rental maintenance: $50/month
Recurring Total costs: $1100/month

After you get past the initial start up costs, running the business doesn't require that many people to keep it afloat.

Paint has a decent profit margin, rentals are basically pure profit, and CO2 has a high profit margin. I'll let you all run the numbers privately, but you can see that you can make a pretty decent amount of money on a small field.
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM #23
Signal20
Who Me?

Signal20 is a Supporting Member
Signal20 plays in the PSP
Signal20 plays in the MiLP
Signal20 plays in the APPA D4 division
Also note remote areas can increase your costs.

Shipping along has added a $1000 or so to my startup. And it will continue throughout my business.

OLD PBN Feedback 12/0/0
Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 PM #24
JxTxCxNx
800JESSIES.COM

has been a member for 10 years
Jester shows a great example of doing it right.

Caveats:

We searched for an owner that accepted a per-head rent for 3 years. Spoke with 200+ land owners. Not one thought twice, they all said no. Most of that property is still not rented, they still say no.

Equipment rentals cost us way more to maintain. Sponsored "free" refs have generally done a crappy job. $500/month for a field manager sounds like a dream -- even at only 100 hours per month people expect $10/hour out here.

--dada
Brian(LB)Fow Fan Club Member #11[/size]
Still love him.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:24 PM #25
freeloader12345

Most business ventures go under in the first five years. And the numbers that never get past the first two are astronomical. Is it possible to succeed? Yes, with the right business plan! I have seen many fields/stores go under because of their inability to properly plan and execute. Money is important but so is being able to sell your DREAM. With this your opportunity to gain sponsors, loans and investors increases dramatically. So I will list just a few additional steps that I am taking.

Lawyer: $100 per Hr
Accountant: $100 per Hr
Business plan software: $200
Meetings: $X,000

I just want to remind people to be resourceful. Talk to people you play with and associate with. I bet you can not only find a computer geek, but a lawyer, accountant, real-estate agent, a handyman and so much more.

Ivan
Old 07-29-2005, 03:54 PM #26
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

Ryantheeskimo is a Supporting Member
Thanks guys. This seriously helps me alot. I'm gonna begin my business plan early so that when I'm done with my business management classes, I'll be ready to act. How do you guys suggest I go about deciding where to open a field at (what needs to be considered besides population and local fields?) I would like to open one up in Michigan.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:00 PM #27
Jester1
P8ntball is a way of life

Jester1 is a Supporting Member
Jester1 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JxTxCxNx
Jester shows a great example of doing it right.

Caveats:

We searched for an owner that accepted a per-head rent for 3 years. Spoke with 200+ land owners. Not one thought twice, they all said no. Most of that property is still not rented, they still say no.

Equipment rentals cost us way more to maintain. Sponsored "free" refs have generally done a crappy job. $500/month for a field manager sounds like a dream -- even at only 100 hours per month people expect $10/hour out here.

--dada
Thanks, I try

Just wondering why your costs are so much higher on rentals? We replace masks as needed (we don't bother with replacing lenses) and actually sell the old ones for $5 We use VForce masks.

Guns we take apart, clean, lube, and replace worn parts at least once a month. A few orings and ball detents is all it costs in parts. I'd estimate about $15 a month in gun maintenance (50 rental). We put in a few drops of lube into every gun before we screw in the air tank to help keep them going.

As for the field manager, they work 14-16 hours per weekend, $8.50 per hour. I'm usually there to do the PR work and help out as needed. The store is closed Sundays, so I only miss out on one day at the store. But that's what good employees are there for!

The teams do an excellent job for us. With the scheduling rotation, each player on the teams refs one day every 2-3 months...keeps them from getting burnt out. And since their sponsorship level is tied to their reffing performance, we get quality reffing at all times. The captains of the team make sure of that since their performace is directly related! Save us the headaches of having to monitor reffing performance

Last edited by Jester1 : 07-29-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:08 PM #28
MikeM

MikeM is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester1
The teams do an excellent job for us. With the scheduling rotation, each player on the teams refs one day every 2-3 months...keeps them from getting burnt out. And since their sponsorship level is tied to their reffing performance, we get quality reffing at all times. The captains of the team make sure of that since their performace is directly related! Save us the headaches of having to monitor reffing performance
Nice creative solution to reduce cost while maintaining quality. Quality of your refs should be very high on any field owners priority list. That one thing can make or break a day for lots of people.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:23 PM #29
freeloader12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantheeskimo
what needs to be considered besides population and local fields?
When looking at land/space ask for the demographics. This will give you a breakdown from age to sex in various mile radius incraments. Also some will give you selected years to see long term growth. I would suggest picking a location that is in your price range more than anything. And if your to close to an established field it will be hard attracting customers unless its a indoor vs. outdoor situation, where compromising can be made to benefit both fields. Distance from your residence is a factor to consider as well as visability and growth space.
Quote:
Guns we take apart, clean, lube, and replace worn parts at least once a month. A few orings and ball detents is all it costs in parts. I'd estimate about $15 a month in gun maintenance (50 rental). We put in a few drops of lube into every gun before we screw in the air tank to help keep them going.
Different guns vary, I think that the rental gun should be an easy to maintain hard to break investment. With so many i have seen the older models stand the test with newer electronics costing hundreds of dollars a month in repairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Nice creative solution to reduce cost while maintaining quality.
Exacty what is needed while preparing to open a field.

Last edited by freeloader12345 : 07-29-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:18 PM #30
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

What kind of rental equipment have you guys had the best luck with? (What specific guns/masks/etc?)
Old 07-29-2005, 05:25 PM #31
Jester1

We've found Pihranhas and Tippmans to be the best so far (over three years of using various guns). Our "upgraded" rental packages are cockers or E-force Pihranhas with revys and compressed air tanks.

Spyders suck as rentals, so do Icons. They don't last mechanically or cosmetically like PMI or Tippy. You can get two PMI guns to one Tippy which is why we have a mix. Plus the PMI guns work better for speedballers while the Tippy is typically used by the woods ballers

Masks: VForce is the only way to go!
Old 07-29-2005, 05:28 PM #32
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

Quote:
We've found Pihranhas and Tippmans to be the best so far (over three years of using various guns). Our "upgraded" rental packages are cockers or E-force Pihranhas with revys and compressed air tanks.

Spyders suck as rentals, so do Icons. They don't last mechanically or cosmetically like PMI or Tippy. You can get two PMI guns to one Tippy which is why we have a mix. Plus the PMI guns work better for speedballers while the Tippy is typically used by the woods ballers

Vantages? Or do you just get set packages of (X ammount) of Vforce (X-named) goggles?
J/w. Thanks for the help, this forum = <3
Old 07-29-2005, 05:38 PM #33
Jester1

Vantage. We buy 5 or 6 every two months or so to replace badly scratched ones.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:17 PM #34
pbdude911

Quote:

I agree about the piranhas over spyders, When i worked at our field we had both. from expirience, i found that the reason spyders go bad faster is mainly because there more open and it allows dirt/water in to the bolt. piranhas are pretty much all closed and we never had problems with dirt and all like on the spyders.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:57 AM #35
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

Any more field ideas in general? Tips/suggestions for cutting costs or making profit??
Old 07-30-2005, 10:05 AM #36
o.b.l.x

excellent

Quote:
I'm joining this late and just addressing dada's original post. We started small and grew as profit b...
I just joind this forum. I found a lot of info around. First I want to start with Jester1's post. I think You are awesome. Your post gave me hope. Me and a friend want to open a field. First of all, I have never played paintball. There is no such thing in my country, Macedonia (Europe). I think it is something that people around deserve to try. Hopefully and use it on a regular bases. Land here is cheap to rent (300-400E per month). So we were hoping to by only what is nessecery to start it. after that upgrade with all the income. Since it is country in development, nobody will ask for insurance or bussines lisence in the begining. I try to find info online and maybe a store to by of. So what is the least expected I need to start? Where can I read about rules and types of games. how do I sell/rent them equipment?per ball?package?downside is we have to keep it cheap (around 5E per game). avarage salary here is 200E per month.
Please give me Your thought. I need a lot of help here
Old 07-30-2005, 10:41 AM #37
Ryantheeskimo
Cerebral LOLsy

Along with OBLX's post, I'd like to know how to go about starting a business plan? What does that entail? I just need something to start on, and I'll go from there

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:04 PM #38
mousek801
Blasť Polar Bear

its still my dream to open a feild.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:53 PM #39
o.b.l.x

deal

Ok, since noone answered.
I found the closest dealer to where I live in Greece. He is offering me a complete pacage for 14 people for 3000E. Without the uniforms nor field stuff offcourse.
Is it a good deal? I still have to find a way to transport them into my country. I heard that a lot of fields close very soon after they open.
I think it is a great idea.
I don't know if it is profitable
Old 08-18-2005, 04:11 PM #40
ALIAS KILLA
SUPER MAN

get a home team and make them ref.

PANHANDLE ALLSTARS.

My Feedback
parts4paintball
BEST SHOOTIN ALIAS FOR SALE
Old 08-18-2005, 07:19 PM #41
Jester1

OBLX - Glad you found my post helpful! It's hard to say if your deal is good since it's Euros not dollars, and I've no idea what product goes for over there.

If you start small, and keep costs low, you can stay open and build your business. So many people start out spending $25k that they can't get the business to keep afloat with such high overhead. Keep your costs low, SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE, and you'll eventually build up enough to expand as you hope. Just be patient! It took me 1.5 years to get to where I felt I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ryan: Use Yahoo! or Google to search "Business Plan" and you'll find plenty of examples to help you get started. It's fairly easy to do as long as you're not looking for investors. Consider it a "Project Plan" for you to follow.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:51 PM #42
Fiszaj
Euroballer

Fiszaj is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by o.b.l.x
Ok, since noone answered.
I found the closest dealer to where I live in Greece. He is offering me a complete pacage for 14 people for 3000E. Without the uniforms nor field stuff offcourse.
Is it a good deal? I still have to find a way to transport them into my country. I heard that a lot of fields close very soon after they open.
I think it is a great idea.
I don't know if it is profitable
It depends on what equipment exactly that is. If he's offering you Tippmanns with VForce Vantage googles, VL200 Hoppers and 12oz CO2 Tanks - then it is average pricing (In Poland you will get such equipment for 1 person for about that much). But since you're buying in bulk, try to get a better deal.

If I remember correctly, Macedonia is not a member of the EU. This means that you will have to pay customs and VAT when importing everything paintball related to your country (unless you do it illegally).

You also have to consider, what is your source of paintballs going to be? If your field will grow, you will very soon experience trouble with paint, or to be exact - where to get it from. There are two ways to go:

You can strike a deal with the greek distributor and take all your paint from him. This may be a good idea if field won't require large amounts of paintballs.

The other way you might want to go is to get in touch with Estratego (a paintball manufacturing company based in Portugal - Tomahawk is the brand name of their paintballs) and use their paint while at the same time being their dealer. This solution has its pros and cons. The advantage is that you will get the paint at manufacturer prices, allowing you to maximise your profit on paint. If the sport will grow in Macedonia, you will be able to reach the demand of paint not only for your field, but also for players who will buy their own equipment. The main disadvantage is right now, as you said, paintball doesn't exist in Macedonia - Which means that you might have trouble selling the paint and might not be able to use it all on your field. The minimum order might be 1 pallet or more. You will have to contact Estratego to find out the details.

If the sport will grow, people will want to buy their own markers and other equipment - If you establish contacts with european distributors, you will also be able to make profit from this.

You have much to consider...