Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:10 PM #1
Punation
www.jjspaintball.com

has been a member for 10 years
Should Online store's pay sale's Tax/I say Yes

I'am a Store owner, how do you feel about this.I say Yes I feel online store's should pay sale's tax to the state they are sending product to, I have to pay sale's tax there for they should.I think that would help us out, cause we have to compete with their low price's, Now they would have to compete with our customer service.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 PM #2
Jom
A Real Flag Hang

Jom is a Supporting Member
Jom is a founding member
Punation,

Fortunately your opinion doesn't count.

If I dissect your post then online stores should have to pay sales tax simply because you do? The laws regarding interstate trade are as old as this country. You do realize that these laws were also created because of unfair taxation that goes all the way back to colonial times (aka, part of the reason we fought the war for independance in the first place).

More taxation is NEVER good. Don't fool yourself here. If you don't run a good store now; taxes won't help. If you do run a good store, it still won't help you.

The one thing I'll never understand is why store owners spend so much time complaining about online stores, but they never take the initiative to start there own. What is your excuse for not having an online store? There are companies that will help you get setup on the web if you have no experience.

I realize that bricks and mortar stores have a lot of merit and can sell a variety of products that don't move so well online. We don't just play the online game. I have a 1300 sq ft showroom opening in Western Penn on August 1st. We want to diversify our offerings in the Paintball community. Will our in store prices be the same as our website? Of course not. But we'll be offering service to those that need it that will add value to the product. Some people don't want this, but many do. It will be up to our customers to decide if they want to pay a bit more for in store service.

Jom
Old 07-19-2005, 09:47 PM #3
Punation
www.jjspaintball.com

Jom I been in this bussiness for 8 year's now, I don't like taxes either but it is the law, what make website's/online store's exempt. Nothing keep me from a online store. I got in this for the love of paintball, If it was for the love of money I would not do this, it's long hour's and lot's of book work and pay bill's (Sorry just how I feel) www.jjspaintball.com
Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 PM #4
Jom
A Real Flag Hang

Jom is a Supporting Member
Jom is a founding member
Punation,

I enjoy a good discussion

You are absolutely correct. It is the (state) law! There are 2 potential scenarios that would change this.

1) All the states get together and agree to charge sales tax to other states residents. I don't know that this is likely because the different tax rates makes this 'unfair' for some residents.

2) A federal law is enacted against mail order-type businesses that specifically addresses interstate commerce. The problem I see here is that sales tax typically benefits the state. But if you're talking about a federal tax, then who is benefitting from it?! The states won't likely go along with it if they aren't putting $$$ in their pockets.

As far as your question about what exempts online stores from collecting tax... well, nothing really. If a customer of ours is in PA and purchases something from us then we charge him sales tax. Because as you pointed out, in the state of Pennsylvania, we are required by law to collect it.

However, if the customer is out of state, I am not obligated to collect sales tax (and of course I will not voluntarily do this).

I also got involved with Paintball because I love the sport. However, it has to make enough money to feed my family. For this reason, when things are slow at the store, I blame myself and look at new ways we can market and expand. Online does very well for us, but we realize that to increase our market share we will need to address our local market as well.

Jom
Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 PM #5
devilmountainsports
NightStalkers

The cost of sales tax is usually offset by the cost of shipping.

I no longer own DMSPaintball.com. Call the store directly at 925-608-3319 for all your questions.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:46 PM #6
Punation
www.jjspaintball.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmountainsports
The cost of sales tax is usually offset by the cost of shipping.
Wrong: Shipping $1000.oo marker around $16.oo /Sale's tax here is .0825 = $1000.oo marker sale's tax is $82.50= $66.50 ( I know our sale's tax SUX'S)
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 AM #7
devilmountainsports
NightStalkers

Very true, but I don't sell 1000 dollar speeball markers that market is way too saturated. I concentrate on Milsim where I have been succeasful.

Typically a 1000 dollar order from me is going to cost you 40-50 dollars in shipping fees. My markers typically don't cost more then $400.

My suggestion is to open a web store to help supplement your sales. You are reaching out to a local you would never have access to.

I no longer own DMSPaintball.com. Call the store directly at 925-608-3319 for all your questions.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:55 AM #8
JxTxCxNx
800JESSIES.COM

42 states mandate residents pay a Use Tax (equivalent to the Sales Tax but paid by consumer) for any out of state purchase. Most consumers never pay it.

18 states agreed to enact the SSUTA to help collect the Use Tax from online sales. 14 more states will likely join the SSUTA coalition within 2 years.

Eventually, online retailers will collect Use Tax for the 42 states.

Do I like Sales/Use Taxes? No. I firmly believe that all taxation is theft. The dotcom retailers found a great loophole, but now states are feeling the burn of losing "income." That hole will soon be closed.

--dada
Brian(LB)Fow Fan Club Member #11[/size]
Still love him.