Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-16-2005, 06:24 PM #1
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
How Long Does Locktite Take To Dry?!?

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO DRY, MUST KNOW ASAP, THIS STUFF IS DRIPPING!!

thanks

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2005, 06:41 PM #2
Henkka

What kind?

Most Loctites i know of will NOT dry in open air. And if it does, its will not actually do anything.

Loctite bonds in metal to metal conditions... not in air. Until you screw the item in it should not dry.

The kind of Loctite that dries on screws (that you probably see from manufactured items) is completely different than the kind you use on a screw, screw in and let dry.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:43 PM #3
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

i decided to loctite a tippmann vertical adapter to the valve/powertube, and since i already had it screwed in, i just put it on the parts where they were touching

Old 07-16-2005, 06:52 PM #4
Henkka

That won't do much. You would need some wicking threadlock for that... (stuff that goes down into threads by itself) It probably won't even dry there really... i'd wipe off any dripping and any left on those threads.

If you really want it to stay there you should take the thing apart, put some drops on the screws and put it back together. Wait a few hours to let it bond. But i would avoid gassing up and playing for 24 hours.

Basically, threadlock seals when metal to metal connections are made in tight spots... like when threads meet threads. The tighter the better.

If you have this: Here...

I would consider getting blue threadlock instead. That is red, high strength threadlock (271). Basically... permanent. Blue seals just as good, but is much easier to remove in case you need to.

Last edited by Henkka : 07-16-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:54 PM #5
APgamer55 (Banned)
Banned

i would use blue loctite and kind of wipe up the extras then give it about 24 hours before it gets any real heavy use to insure proper drying.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:20 PM #6
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

aite, thanks guys

Old 07-16-2005, 08:10 PM #7
Bulldog223
badger

Bulldog223 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
loctite does not just bond metal to metal. loctite will only dry in the LACK of air. thats why its so expensive, because the packaging for it has to allow air in so that it will not dry.

"Originally posted by Kustom Kid]How in the hell do you get by if you can't find a CD key on a game? Seriously. Do you still wear velcro shoes?: "
Old 07-16-2005, 08:27 PM #8
APgamer55 (Banned)
Banned

i dont think it was that expensive. cant remember how muhc, maybe like $4 for about a 2 oz bottle, but you dont use that much in a normal use.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:06 PM #9
MyLittleMobster

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
"Loctite threadlockers are half-empty when you buy them because the free oxygen in the bottle prevents them from hardening. The bottles are made of something that is semi-permiable to oxygen. This means you should not combine two bottles to make a full one, nor should you put them into some other type of container. The products also cure when you combine them with an active metal like zinc or brass. You should avoid touching the dispenser to the metal you are applying the product to. Loctite does not cure well on inactive metals like aluminum and stainless steel. For these situations, Loctite makes a catalyst that is applied to the metal first. Primer compound 'N' works well and is available as a spray, making this an easy task. Once cured, the threadlockers seal out moisture and salt. This means that you can take apart things later that would have corroded together had you not used it. I do not know if this works for submerged fittings. Like most adheasives, heat causes them to break down. This is useful to remember if you foolishly applied the impossible to remove type of threadlocker to that item you never expected you would have to take apart. Break out that propane torch."
-John F. Hughes
Making the packaging gas permiable is not what makes it expensive, plastics bags at the grocery are gas permiable and they are cheap.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:09 PM #10
Cube

Yeah I don't see why the red loctite would even be used on paintball guns. The blue will work on anything you need it for as far as paintball guns go, and I'd even recommend using teflon tape where practical.

Airtight seals can be made and remade countless times without a problem. Teflon tape is less than a buck for a roll, and loctite is like $5 for .2 oz, not 2 oz
Old 07-17-2005, 08:45 PM #11
purehybrid

yeah, up on the thread tape. if u dont get it in there right, the loctite will just 'lock' the threads, not seal the gaps. use tape.

and on the only bonding metal to metal stuff, then y do they give you loctite to use on the plastic fittings with air shocks??? thats right, yer wrong
Vapor Valve
Chaos board
Custom clamp feed neck
modded bolt and ram
ND 90/45k
Old 07-17-2005, 10:16 PM #12
4zn_Balla
Banana'd

I use loctite instant adhesive. It's clear like super glue and it works to seal threads but dries instantly

Myspace: AddMe
Old 07-18-2005, 07:30 PM #13
AGDpaintball
IV:XX

AGDpaintball is a Supporting Member
AGDpaintball is playing at Living Legends III
i used red locktite once..thats about it. blue should do fine for almost everything
Old 07-20-2005, 01:04 AM #14
rednax (Banned)
Banned

its kinda funny how u said it''hurry its dripping'' did u use the entire bottle
Old 07-20-2005, 01:14 AM #15
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax
its kinda funny how u said it''hurry its dripping'' did u use the entire bottle
haha, no, just like 3 drops actually, which almost all dripped off, but now i know how to use it the right way