PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 PM #1
Element_PB (Banned)

Got Products. How to make money?

Alright guys. This is probably a bit of a backwords question to ask, but I guess if anyone would know, its the people here. (plus you are nicer than the ion forum)

1. Element Paintball Products.
2. ???
3. Profit.

What I've got: Element Paintball.
What I want: Money so I can develop more stuff, and maybe eat once a day.

Right now my manufacturing costs are around 80% of my retail price, so thats a big problem.
I'm also running the whole show myself, which is more than a little difficult.
I am a designer, and a paintball player. I happened to combine the two things and got a good response. Now how do I turn it into profit?

How do I get shops to sell my products so I can worry about making them?
How do I get enough capitol to make 250 - 500 sets that I'd need per run to get the price per part down?
Why does walmart have 41 flavors of ramen, but all of them taste the same?

Any help would be appreciated.

www.element-paintball.com
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2005, 07:56 AM #2
Jom
A Real Flag Hang

Jom is a Supporting Member
Jom is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Do you have a side job?

I worked at McDonalds for 3 years (16 - 18). By the time I was 18 I knew I didn't want to work there anymore (I know, I was a brain child). I saved my entire summer's salary to start Compulsive the following spring.

Starting out sucks plain and simple. If you already have income then you might need to try some more of that ramen and push more cash to your business. If it isn't possible to use your own money then you have several other options:

1) Angel Investors:

Angel investors are typically mom and dad, extended family, etc. They already have a bit of money in their pockets and a small interest free loan to you is probably not a very big deal.

I personally recommend against going with Angel investors because I watched money rip apart a part of my extended family and also some close friends.

2) Investors:

Investors will probably get you as much startup capital as you'd need. They can also infuse you with more if you quickly outgrow your original cash inflow and need more for additional equipment, inventory, etc.

However, for this convenience they will usually want a piece of your business. I considered this option for Compulsive but passed when I found they wanted half of it!

3) Standard Loan:

A standard bank loan might be the trickiest for a new business. Most banks are a bit more conservative and will want to work with more established businesses that have proven credit, are making money, and have been in business a few years.

However, if your parents have excellent credit, having them co-sign is a real possibility.

Jom
Old 07-15-2005, 08:12 AM #3
CrazyLemurBoy
PBStar Lord

I have to say, that's one nice body. But really, if your manufacturing costs are that high, raise your price. If people want quality, they have to pay for it. That, or find a different machinist (if your not doing it yourself). As time progresses you will eventually get enough capital to pay for your goodies.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:21 AM #4
Skunk

Those look nice. You definately have a profitable product on your hands herre, once you get passed the bumps.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:06 AM #5
Signal20
Who Me?

Signal20 is a Supporting Member
Signal20 plays in the PSP
Signal20 plays in the APPA D3 division
You might want to contact some Online sites to see if they will stock your products. Sell more volume make less on each but more overall..

punisherspb.com has a team that i believe still uses IONs, Look into supporting their team and pushing your product.

Ratpb.com sells lots of impy and ion stuff.

Hope that helps..

OLD PBN Feedback 12/0/0
Old 07-15-2005, 11:23 AM #6
benoit

make 50 or so and ask actionvillage to put them in stock. they always have freelance products (lazerballs and such)
Invert Mini #2003
Russian Legion Fan #689
Joy Division Fan #694
Old 07-15-2005, 06:45 PM #7
pronking
2nd Chance Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
pronking is a Supporting Member
pronking supports our troops
pronking is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pronking is Boss
pronking is Immortal
i would like to carry your products
please PM me
PK

Coach-
Fresno State Bulldogs NCPA - A Division Xball
FX Anodizing-where art is made!
www.fxanodizing.com
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 PM #8
CrazyLemurBoy
PBStar Lord

I highly doubt AVI will carry his stuff, they like to carry things they can get in the thousands.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:14 PM #9
sosoDAF
ATL

sosoDAF is a Supporting Member
Being an Ion owner, I was wondering about this the other day.
I think you should come to realize that most people view your trigger frames and bodies as being top of the line, and if you raise the price a little bit, they will still buy them. I would just say that you really arren't making much profit on the Ion bodies, and that you really need to make more profit on them; I think (most) people will understand.
It also couldn't hurt to try emailing a few companies online to see if they are interested in carrying your products.
That's my .02
Good luck!
-Dan
Also, I just might be buying one of your bodies in the future for my Ion.
Also, you beat me to putting all Evil upgrades on my Ion... I thought I was going to be original
Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 AM #10
Hardened Sniper
MORGENSTERN

It shouldn't be hard to find online stores to carry your items, especially smaller non-corporate businesses. Shoot them all some emails and see what happens. In the meantime if you are hurting for cash you could always try ebay...