Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 PM #1
rather_be_surfin
"Custom User Title"

rather_be_surfin is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hanging the netting

hey guys well i need to put up netting...Id like to be able to take it up and down, would u guys recomend that i simply pound some gynormous posts in the ground and do it that way?? (sorry for the nub question) but any thoughts, ideas, tips would be great thnx
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2005, 11:53 PM #2
SlimJIm1210
And I was all like

We just used 4x4's and dug holes with post diggers. We don't usually take them down except for extreme weather. Shouldn't need to take down posts unless you lose your lease or whatever its really up to your specific needs. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 AM #3
LordOfThePaint

We dug in the poles (telephone pole size trees that we salvaged out of the forest around the field) and put those in and then put pullies near the tops of them. Then we took the net and folded over the very top to make a sleeve and ran airplane cable through it. We then attached carabeiners around the cable through the net, attached those to carabeiners which were attached to rope, and hoisted the net up. It works great, pretty easy to put up and take down, once its up you wrap the rope like you would the rope from a flag (figure-8 around two nails) and it stays up no problem.

You can't really see how it works in this shot, but it shows that it holds the net up at least

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:07 AM #4
LordOfThePaint

There in the background you can see all the zip-ties from where we made the sleeve for the cable, so it kinda gives you an idea of it at least. If you have any questions send me a PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:19 AM #5
Skunk

I havnt used netting yet, but from what ive seen and heard 4x4s dont work so well. In the long run, telephone poles are better. The nets act as big sails when the wind picks up and puts a LOT of pressure on the poles, so you'll need something very strong to hold them. Ive seen 4x4s in use for it and it looks like the nets are pulling on them way to much, like they were about to snap.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:22 AM #6
LordOfThePaint

^^ The trees we use do the same thing and they're the size of telephone poles, I would even dream about using 4X4's for netting, just asking for trouble. Telephone poles are expensive but definitly worth it in the end.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:32 AM #7
TwistedPBMom
Field Owner

TwistedPBMom is a Supporting Member
TwistedPBMom is an Ultimate field/store owner
TwistedPBMom supports our troops
We use poles and cable both top and bottom....

Old 07-15-2005, 12:33 AM #8
Skunk

I think you'd spend more money on new 4x4s over time then just 1 telephone pole. 4x4s are strong when they are short...when you put one end in the ground and a heavy load on the other sticking up, they snap like nothing.

I was in a hammock held up by 4x4s and one of them snapped and nailed me in the head. I had just given blood that day to...they arnt as strong as you think.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:02 AM #9
FUELEDBYHATE
KILL KILL KILL

FUELEDBYHATE is a Supporting Member
I think buying Metal pipe would be way better then 4x4.

Orignally posted by Avengedphish

"Saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'donnel fat."
Old 07-15-2005, 03:38 AM #10
Dakkon

Dakkon is a Supporting Member
Steel poles, netting has a steel cable going around entire field at base, welded clips onto the poles to hold the wire against bottom of pole, to keep bottom from flying up. The steelwire doesn't just connect at the poles, its ziptipped inside a wrap of netting at the base all the way around. Top is the same, except it uses special clips instead of zipties to do the steel cable all the way around. The top of the poles also have rings welded on, we run ropes through the rings tied onto the steel cable raise/drop nets as needed. Nets are dropped by just removing the knot on each pole. To put the nets back up we go around pole by pole with like a 12 foot pole and push the nets up, and then tie them off.

Poles are also tied togethor with a steel cable across tops. They also run steel cables off at an angle to stop the poles from bending. We put earth anchors into the ground that they are tied onto so they can't bend from the wind/weight of the nets.

Sorry hard to describe, if you have any questions ask. The system works great, we have 4 airball fields.

I just work for the field and helped set it all up.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:24 AM #11
Skunk

That sounds pretty good as long as the anchors are there. Without them im sure it would bend.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:29 PM #12
Dakkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk
That sounds pretty good as long as the anchors are there. Without them im sure it would bend.
Yea that was the problem when we first opened, had to get a pole bender to bend them back
Old 07-15-2005, 07:56 PM #13
pronking
2nd Chance Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
pronking is a Supporting Member
pronking supports our troops
pronking is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pronking is Boss
pronking is Immortal
we use recycled metal irriagtion pipe for netting its about 3" in diameter for the most part. we have a little thicker at the corners. we use 3/16th or 1/8 inch wire. the vinyl/plastic coated stuff works well for waer but it is alot more expensive up front.
PK

Coach-
Fresno State Bulldogs NCPA - A Division Xball
Old 07-15-2005, 11:10 PM #14
rather_be_surfin
"Custom User Title"

lol im likin the tree idea thnx for the input ......(not really lookin to spend like flippin 200 somthin dollars per pole
Old 07-15-2005, 11:32 PM #15
LordOfThePaint

We used metal pipe our first year, but it got pulled down by the wind. We narrowed it down to that or someone vandalized by just pulling our poles down. Either way most of our poles were bent over and not usable so we moved to wood.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:28 AM #16
Dakkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfThePaint
We used metal pipe our first year, but it got pulled down by the wind. We narrowed it down to that or someone vandalized by just pulling our poles down. Either way most of our poles were bent over and not usable so we moved to wood.

It was the wind. Ours bent to so we had to tie all the poles togethor tight at tops, and use the anchors running off to hold them from bending.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:40 AM #17
paintballer187
187PB.COM

Annual Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a Moderator
paintballer187 is a Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a founding member
paintballer187 is BST Legit
paintballer187 works for a Paintball manufacturer
After helping set up a local field I would suggest not using zip ties to hold the netting to your cable as they can rip through the net rather easily, I would go with the black clips that are made to hold netting up. Also, use 1/4 steel cable, nothing less or you will eventually be redoing all of the old cable when the wind breaks it. I would only suggest using a smaller cable if your netting is in short sections. 4x4s work but as we found out they will bend and warp especially when they are 10' out of the ground. Either 6x6s, metal posts or telephone/large trees are a better option.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:21 AM #18
rather_be_surfin
"Custom User Title"

wow thnx guys i really apreciate the posts.....so its lookin like ill be usin steel poles, with quarter ince steel cable, and black clips....(gonna drop the nets, and use the ancors)

Last edited by rather_be_surfin : 07-17-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:55 PM #19
megabork
im jabba

megabork is a Supporting Member
we

rigged poles with pullys and then hoist the netting up every time we play,,works fine u need to invest in the netting with the eyelets and then use carabiners(sp?) to run cable thru, i could take a pick if you want and send it to you
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 AM #20
pronking
2nd Chance Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
pronking is a Supporting Member
pronking supports our troops
pronking is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pronking is Boss
pronking is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabork
rigged poles with pullys and then hoist the netting up every time we play,,works fine u need to invest in the netting with the eyelets and then use carabiners(sp?) to run cable thru, i could take a pick if you want and send it to you
I <3 you!!!!!!!!!!!!
PK

Coach-
Fresno State Bulldogs NCPA - A Division Xball
Old 07-18-2005, 04:29 AM #21
The-Mangler
The man with a plan.

The feild I work at has large beams set up, with the netting hanging on ropes. All you have to do is pull them over and the feild is set up. Picture curtains, and how you open and close em. Very efficient.

Just get some of those locking plastic ties, line up all the rope along the netting, and boom, you have curtains around your feild. Takes awhile to set up, but very worth while, and saves time in the future.