PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-18-2005, 02:20 AM #1
HalabI

Help me become a ref.

Hey,

I am planning on applying for a part-time job reffing at a local field, I have plenty of vollunteer experience reffing tournys and rec days at a few fields and really wouldnt mind being payed in store credit at their paintball shop (the facility i am talking about has a complete pro-shop and indoor-field)

The reason I am asking for adivice seeing as most of the people that post in this section are store/field owners themselves and I am wondering if anyone has any good advice on what I should say/do to get the job, should i mention i dont mind being payed in credit or paint? Will having reliable transportation matter to the owners?

If anyone wants to chat some more about this or give more advice
my email is dabbas787@hotmail.com
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM #2
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
I wouldn't worry about getting the job...most feidls are in desperate need of refs. But saying you'll take payment in credit or paint always perks up a field owners ears.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:10 PM #3
blautsauger (Banned)

As a ref, these are my $.02 worth:

Yes, tell them you have relaible transportation.

Show up to work on time, or better still, about 5 to 10 minutes early.

Show them that you are concerned for the customer, their safety and that they are having a good time. It is the customer that is paying your wages(Money or store cred), and if you make sure that the customer is safe and happy, they will remember that at some point down the road.

Be willing to do the crap jobs. They suck, but someone has to do them. The boss is paying attention, even if it does not seem like it.

Yeah, definately let them know that you are willing to be paid in store credit. In the beginning, that is all you will want anyway.

Do your best to leave problems at home. The customer does not care that your girlfriend is leaving you for some other guy. Your co-workers/buddies will probably be willing to listen and offer up some advice, but not the cutomer. For the customer, be happy.

The place where I work, we just opened our third field, and I have one of the coveted reffing spots there. I had been away for a while and when I came to them asking if they needed any help with reffing, I immediately was made head ref for a 120 person private group(Boeing) and then a 70 person group(Major grocery store chain), both of whom will ask for me to ref when they are coming back out again(One group is going to be back in about a week or two). I run our tourney ball style play on Saturday nights by myself because I am willing to take on the work load that it entails. My boss is very impressed with me(Until a bit over a week ago, he had not seen my work, only heard about it from a few people). If you remember my $.02, it applies to any other job as well, perhaps something that pays better.

Last edited by blautsauger : 07-18-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:07 PM #4
TwistedPBMom
Field Owner

TwistedPBMom is a Supporting Member
TwistedPBMom is an Ultimate field/store owner
TwistedPBMom supports our troops
Blautsauger, you are a field owner's dream. If you ever move to Texas, give me a call!!

Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 PM #5
blautsauger (Banned)

Thank you. From all the posts that I have seen from you in the few threads that we have both been in, you would be an awesome person to work for.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:54 PM #6
dyepsycho
Blue Belt

dyepsycho owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I've been working at my local field since I was 12. My boss lives local so I got a ride with him my first 5 or 6 years. Hell, I still do as much as I can, I mean, its cheap gas, I dont have to pay it and he buys me breakfast. The downfall is I have to be up at 6:30 instead of 9.
Owners love to be told they can be paid in paint or credit. I made 40 a day the first few years. Now I get a little over minimum wage and a case of paint every day. Just keep at it. Its a fun job too, you get the hookup with people.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:55 PM #7
blautsauger (Banned)

One more thing that I forgot to mention. Once you get the job at whatever field you are at, never say anything bad about your field. Not about your fellow refs, or the shack workers or the layout or anything. Your attitude should be "I work at the greatest paintball field in the world." You are an advertisement for that field. If all youever say, when talking about the field, is how great it is, your buddies, those who don't play paintball, will be willing to try it out at your field. If you tell people that your field is not the greatest, it is only okay, anybody that decides to play for their first time is going to shop around, and maybe play where you work. I have been extolling to everybody that I know how great my job is, how much I love it, and I have taken pictures and posted them in a gallery to show off to all the world to see. Check out the Northwest regional forum, you will see two threads that I started talking about our newest field. The second one, my boss called me up to have me start advertising our BYOP Wednesday's.

Again, this is something that you should apply when you are seeking out and ultimately get a job that pays your way in the world.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:53 AM #8
TwistedPBMom
Field Owner

TwistedPBMom is a Supporting Member
TwistedPBMom is an Ultimate field/store owner
TwistedPBMom supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by blautsauger
Thank you. From all the posts that I have seen from you in the few threads that we have both been in, you would be an awesome person to work for.