PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-14-2005, 02:38 AM #1
jeffery_waller

I was told i cant do an online store

I was talking to national paintball supply about opening a pb store, ( i need to start small like an online buisness) and they said even with a buisness license they wouldnt sell to me and that nobody would because if i did an online store i would just be undercutting all you guys that have actual stores because i have no overhead. That part i could understand, my goal is to raise enough to open a real store, while i am still working my full time job to pay for the shop. What do you guys think are they correct about not selling to me. I am not out to undercut anyone nor did i ever give them the idea that i was trying to, they just assumed that because i dont have 100k to dive right into a full business because i have to actualy work for my money and work harder to have any extra for myself at the end of the week. Can they actualy refuse to sell to me on the standing that i do not have a business outside the home???
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2005, 03:06 AM #2
kavon

to geno & the other ppl at NPS. It's good they won't let people undercut those who have busted their butts to open stores & put it all on the line to do something they believe in, there's too much competition in paintball stores. I considered opening a store/ field & have decided to pretty much disband the store due to how saturated the market is. I'll leave it to the established businesses to sell the goods. I just wanna play paintball for life & believe I can provide a more quality field than other people but the store thing I'm not going to mess with.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:04 AM #3
CrazyLemurBoy
PBStar Lord

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery_waller
I was talking to national paintball supply about opening a pb store, ( i need to start small like an online buisness) and they said even with a buisness license they wouldnt sell to me and that nobody would because if i did an online store i would just be undercutting all you guys that have actual stores because i have no overhead. That part i could understand, my goal is to raise enough to open a real store, while i am still working my full time job to pay for the shop. What do you guys think are they correct about not selling to me. I am not out to undercut anyone nor did i ever give them the idea that i was trying to, they just assumed that because i dont have 100k to dive right into a full business because i have to actualy work for my money and work harder to have any extra for myself at the end of the week. Can they actualy refuse to sell to me on the standing that i do not have a business outside the home???
Oh yes they can. EVERYONE does it, CP, DYE, SmartParts; none of them will sell anything to you. It's because you carry no overhead, have no location to advertise their goods, etc. If you are a minor, they especially can refuse. What do you offer that other e-stores don't? You are just adding to the problem that paintball has, being overloaded with e-stores with the same prices because everyone has to follow MAP.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 AM #4
Capital Paintball

Its funny that they dont want you undercutting the stores but National Paintball owns 888 paintball.com and they sell things on there below the price that we as a store can buy it from them. so my distributer is my competition.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:09 AM #5
CrazyLemurBoy
PBStar Lord

They also run 800paintball.com. Shh...

NPS likes to make things difficult, don't they?

Old 07-14-2005, 10:53 AM #6
Bob Sandifer

Bob Sandifer is a Supporting Member
well I think we all just over look the fact that they do that themselves but what they say is pretty much the truth in this industry.

We have noticed that almost all dists. now require some type of store front. I think this is a great idea. Deana (new accounts) will not setup a new account without proof of location, invoices from several major manufacturers and a pretty high min. order.

What done of us want are the online guys to come in and NOT honor MAP which is pretty standard for guys that put a ton of $$$ into a business and it is not working out like they thought it would. They dump everything cheat becasue they panic. The guys that take the time to invest in counters, inventory, remodeling and staff will understand (we hope) how a new business works. In our area there are about 6 full stores and tons of back door dealers and more of both open up each month. They guys that have been around stay around and the new guys fade away taking huge amounts of our potential profit with them. The shop and field owners are the ones that keep the sport alive with the support they offer the customers. If a guy makes 15$ on a gun sale do ya think he is going to take 3 hours out of his day to work on a gun?

So, if you are doing an online business and do it the fair way you might find some people that will work with you but dont be surprised if many more will not. This is not a fast way to make money. This is a very hard way to make money and most of us are in it for the love of the sport. If we make some money then we are even happier.

FYI.....We are a firm believer in supporting the physical stores. If a customers comes into our service center for service we do it for free if it was purchased from a local store (and is under warranty) the work is done for free. If it came from an online only dealer the initial fee is 35$ and we will not honor the factory warranty. Harsh? Probably.

Good luck with your new store and remember that "suggested retail" and "MAP" is your friend. If you make a profit you will take care of your customers.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:09 PM #7
jeffery_waller

BOB,

That may be the best responce i got... Thanks to everyone that has replied and promply. My goal is to open a shop next spring and most likely an indoor arena. My problem is i just need to build a clientell and make some extra money first without diving in a pool with no water ya know... Starting in this buisness is hard enough but doing it all at once and loosing everything is a bit extreme. I dont have the money to go full time right away nor the clientell i live in great bend kansas and the only dealer around here is walmart. we are coming up on winter so it would be hard to start a shop now and make any profit aside from that i work full time as is and this is something i have to put a lot of time into while working my other job untill i can fully sustain the pbshop without the extra income.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:25 PM #8
Bob Sandifer

Bob Sandifer is a Supporting Member
If your only competition is walmart then you do have market potential. What makes a good paintball store is customer service, knowledge of the sport, understanding of the potential of the sport and assortment of product.

look for a location and negotiate with the the owner. By products that you know will do well. Dont buy expensive guns or paint. You have to develope your market for more expensive items. We only stock super highend items and let the other local stores do the majority of the sales with the mid grade stuff. I am sure they out sale us 50 to 1 but we are not in the retail business. Remember that when you place your opening orders
Old 07-14-2005, 09:03 PM #9
jeffery_waller

I just forgot one thing Can they legaly not sell to me because i want to start with word of mouth and internet sells???
Old 07-14-2005, 09:09 PM #10
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
Bob, you just about covered everything I could think of.....great responce.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:09 PM #11
Ziggy13
717studios.com

Ziggy13 is a Supporting Member
I think they can legally not sell to you for any reason they want as long as its not race, religion etc.

ZacharyZiegler.com - My blog on brewing, photography, business, sports and design
Old 07-14-2005, 10:59 PM #12
inpayne (Banned)
Banned

theres not really any places near me the clostest is about 30 min. away but there are some that pop up around here somtimes but they usualy go out of buissnese pretty quick i would love to suport my local store...........thats if i had one
Old 07-14-2005, 11:28 PM #13
Skunk

It isnt like your local store is going to be around the corner and down the street. Only lucky people have that. I drive about 30 minutes to either of my stores. The only time I buy from online stores is when both of the local proshops dont have what im looking for in stock over an extended period of time. I NEVER buy paint online...shipping costs just about as much as gas is to drive to the store...I guess that goes for any purchases.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:41 PM #14
LordOfThePaint

Yeah like Bob said, work you way into things. Since in the area you live paintball isng too big yet, you dont need to stock anything high end really, no point in tying up thousands of dollars in something that is going to sit on the wall for god knows how long. Let your customers know that you can get those high end guns if they want them, but you dont need to keep them in stock (right away anyway). Get a feel for what the local crowd likes as far as play is concerned, dont buy all tournament style equipment if they're all into woodsball, or all woods stuff if they're into speedball.

Uh yeah, good luck!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:41 AM #15
Ziggy13
717studios.com

Ziggy13 is a Supporting Member
Theres also other wholesalers, NPS isn't the only one.

ZacharyZiegler.com - My blog on brewing, photography, business, sports and design
Old 07-19-2005, 12:00 PM #16
Rm_Guru
AKA_JuNiOr

Ive had no problem getting dealerships from NPS, smart parts, etc, and I run a storefront and an online storefront. It doesnt make sense to me why they would turn down your business? Ultimately they would get more money out of it if you set up an online store...

Old 07-19-2005, 11:48 PM #17
OTP2

I have to say, it is about time they have done there job, all of the store owners have been waiting for this day. The market is garbage right now and that is because of all the no frills online stores opening and all the distributors selling to them. If you were in our position you to would feel the same. If you want to just sell some paintball product online just become an affiliate it will save you time and money. But like the guy above said,( What do you have different to offer??????????)

If you just want o sell online, you can go get one of those drop sip stores that sell all kinds of things.

Now it is time to be blunt, there is NO ROOM for anymore online stores................. You will never win, you can not compete against the bigger online stores they have very deep pockets and years behind them.

Do yourself a favor, if you really want in the industry just take your time save your pennies and open a little store with a field or 2, that is the way to go................................................ ..................................

Oh and by the way, yes it is legal to not supply to you, if you do not fit there guidelines. And I dont know, but if you are saying you can not afford to open a store right now, then I can honestly say you dont have the means to hire an attorney and fight NPS.

Last edited by OTP2 : 07-19-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 AM #18
JxTxCxNx
800JESSIES.COM

No distro should be forced to sell to anyone who just asks.

You can open a profitable retail store for $20,000. Don't try to open a $100,000 store.

Expect to earn less than $4/hour profit your first year. Expect to work 60-80 hours per week.

Don't go online -- you can't compete. Our average per-sale profit on our website is $5. In-store its $12.

--dada
Brian(LB)Fow Fan Club Member #11[/size]
Still love him.