Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-11-2005, 09:00 AM #1
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

has been a member for 10 years
DFSniper donated to help Peyton Trent
DFSniper helped look for balloons
age change?

i was looking in the Connections magazine and noticed and Red Barron the minimum age is 14, and my friend says he plays in Hanau with no problems. did they come to an agreement with the germans or is this just some new thing that MWR is doing?? cuz if its legal now, i'm headin out to hanau in a couple of weeks!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:28 AM #2
Pitvyper69
Ex RedBaron Field Manager

I have lost my connection to the MWR inner workings, so I dont have a firm answer for you man. My best guess would be that the heat has died down a bit on the whole sitituation and the rulings are being made by the Local commander or MWR directors. I am quite sure they all took a hit in the cash register with this ruling as well. We are all aware that money changes alot of things over there. That little "mandate" from up high probably caused alot of money to stop flowing and that will make people take second looks quick. Call the Darmstadt ODR and ask. The director there should be a guy named Eric, hes a good guy, if Karissa is still the office manager there she can fill you in as well. They both should know exactly whats whats. If you talk to Karissa, tell her Josh said Hi.

Last edited by Pitvyper69 : 07-18-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:58 PM #3
Tasker
BadInfluenceField Gardner

pitvyper69. How do you do? I'm the manager of the Heidelberg rod and gun club. we've tried paintball on and off for the last 3 years, but this year we're finally doin' it right.
i accompanied some of the heidelberg players this past saturday to your honorable field. it was my first time playing paintball there. last time i was up thata way was when bh was managing the rod and gun club; not to mention, the pb field was behind the rod and gun...if my memory serves me right.
nevertheless, had a blast there...and took some notes.
hopefully, we'll have woodlands to add to our sup air and 'lego land' in the coming weeks.
never met you (i don't think), but still would like to thank you for rockin' paintball so hard in Germany...and setting such high standards.
L8r
Old 07-18-2005, 11:15 PM #4
Pitvyper69

Glad you had a good time there at the field man. I started the field up with a few guys about 4 years ago now as a place to play. This was just after ODR had taken it over from the Rod and Gun. The director of the ODR at the time was a great guy to work with so when he offered me a job pretty much soly to work and run paintball I was all over it. We had quite a few road blocks along the way but we both held firm to the vision of supair and High pressure air.

The first 4 or 5 fileds we built were behind the building but we got moved up to the side when they wanted to build their golf balls down there there. That sucked too because we had 1 regulation 7 man and 2 other 5 man filds built, with the holes drilled and ready for 3 more 7 man filds, DUDE that would have been SOOOOOOOOOO sweet! But I Digress...If we were using High pressure air out of scuba tanks when you came than that was me behind the desk and on the field as a marsahl as it was pretty much a one man show at the time. I did have help from one poor guy who did nothing but run paint and scuba tanks up to the hangar back and down all day and Craig when he could make it out. All and all it had pretty humbel beginnings. Guidence and a bit of trust from Craig when I asked for expesive commpressors and equipment to get us off the ground paid off as you can see.

Sounds as if its all going well still. I do not hear too much from the guys any more as most have moved on or away. Craig and I did teach the MWR class on paintball and I still have most of the knowledge for that, so if you ever need a sounding board or any ideas/help on something feel free to send me a private message on these boards and I will do my best to help you out. I am a big safty zelot and tried very hard never to compormise safty at any time, I used that as a staring point and every thing else kinda fell into line for us.

Thanks for the kind words, but it was much more than me who set those standards, I had alot of help, from soldiers and airmen to marines along with Team like Zero Kewl and Yamakazi to my good friends the Magic Boys, and all the guys and CMC Maxs there are so many others. I am just glad the field is still there and working. I would really be interested to see if they ever broke my record weekend. Just to dangel a number at you and a bit of horn blowing the weekend I left Germany we finally broke my personal Sat/Sun goal of $10,000 in sales. And NO I did not accidentaly add an extra zero to that number. Its all in how you market and in how you treat your customers man, do it right and they will do right by you.

Ok so now I am just being sappy and sound like a schmuck, so I am out.

Thanks again.
Josh

Last edited by Pitvyper69 : 07-19-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:53 AM #5
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

i'll try to call Darmstadt ODR sometime. Tasker, do you guys have an age limit?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:15 AM #6
Tasker

pitvyper, eric and i have a great relationship! he just hooked me up with a few rolls of netting that he was about to scrap; it's because of that, our woodlandball is looking to materialize. craig. LOL. went on tdy with him one time...classic guy.
anyways. don't know about them breaking your weekend income record, yet...i do know that frank in the export dept. of maxs, always talks about you and the 'good times at darmstadt'.
thanks for the personal offering of help, that means a lot to me. just like you said, treat them right and they'll treat you right. hanau's dca was here yesterday, and their sports&fitness guy...they looked at the field; i guess they have indoor and are looking to expand 'outdoors'.
if i ever think of some questions, i'll take you up on your offer.
if you're ever bored: www.mwrgermany.com (we're under heidelberg, rod & gun club)
our paintball section is still pretty green, but we'll get there.
L8R
OPM Fan Club #1
Other People's Markers
Old 07-21-2005, 05:51 AM #7
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

from what i heard, they were supposed to have an outdoor one for the summer and the indoor one for the winter, but i guess they scrapped the outdoor one.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:20 AM #8
shortygermany

shortygermany is a founding member
Need to get in touch with an american guy who has connections to the hanau fields because i want to see the outdoor field.

Problem is it is only allowed for germans if they have a american with them who makes their "babysitter" *g*

Is there a chance someone could hook me up that i could inspect the Outdoor field in Erlensee (should be at their former Air Base) ?

Anyway is there an outdoor field at this location:

Hanau Germany-MWR
Splat Xtreme Outdoor Paintball
Fliegerhorst Kaserne-Old NATO site

Only hear some rumors but no confirmations yet.

GERMANMOB
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1505909
Max Lundquist fanclub member #69
Old 07-21-2005, 08:31 AM #9
Pitvyper69

Tasker- Yup Frank is a good friend of mine. As are most of the guys who work at MAXS. Frank is a very important asset to have on the business side of the house, I never had any problems from MAXS every thing was handeled well and fast, he always got me the best deals he could and promptly trouble shot and hick-ups along the way.

I only met Eric a few times he took over the week I left so I was pretty much gone at the time but Craig spoke highly of him.

We talked about doing indoor in the hanger several times but it wouls need a major over haul to make it right. All too often it seems that over there they spend boat loads of money on stuff no one wants BUT to get money on stuff that is working and actually making money is like pulling teeth. Sure we could have suspendednd some netting and gone to town but that pretty half-baked.I wanted to do re-ball indoors and paint outdoors. I wanted raised floors and a house gutter like drain system for re-ball removal and collection etc.

My big advise on your woodsball is to make sure you are no where near a bird perserve. And to make sure you invornmental folks have had the forest master look over the area you want to use, cuz if there is any rare or protected plants in there they can make alot of trouble for you after you spent that money. Just a heads up.

IM out
Old 07-21-2005, 10:47 AM #10
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

shorty, they took out all of the info for the outdoor field out of the magazine, so i guess they took it down. have you ever been to the field in Rennerod?

vyper, i talked to one of the guys that works there now (back in october), and he said that the air force is giving them trouble with the hanger. apparently they wanted to use it for "training", but havent done anything with it yet. in december we moved everything from the trailer into the shed on the side of the hanger cuz it got cold. i dont see why the let them use the shed but not the hanger.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:40 PM #11
Eyecare

Eyecare is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitvyper69
My big advise on your woodsball is to make sure you are no where near a bird perserve. And to make sure you invornmental folks have had the forest master look over the area you want to use, cuz if there is any rare or protected plants in there they can make alot of trouble for you after you spent that money. Just a heads up.
Or a little old lady that hates Amercans living in the general area, right Josh?

Pics of my guns

Doc's SP Patent FAQ and related article
Old 07-21-2005, 02:41 PM #12
Pitvyper69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper
. i dont see why the let them use the shed but not the hanger.
Thats a long story, basically they want to use the hanger for alot of things. For parties, for training the police dogs, for a bazzar etc. They dont want the big building tied up for one thing over another. I can see that. As for the storage shed, well yeah that thing got cold in the winter time, we always moved the stuff into my office and the storage cage inside the hanger, guess they took that away too huh? I never really understood Darmstadt they lost so much money on stuff over there that just did not work out and the one thing that ODR came up with that was doing VERY well and made money was treated like a red headed step child. Its strange.

I had a chat with the money big wigs right before I left and I heard that shortly after I left they got lots of cash for new equipment and much needed upgrades but that was more MWR money not so much the base money. Still some times we got help and support others we did not but its all over my head when it comes to that sort of stuff anyways. I managed to make them some bucks anyways.

Who knows my wife has 10-12 years more to go before retierment, maybe we will end up back that way in the future. More than likely it will be at Ramstien, so all I can say is if I go back over there, I will probably try to get back into the scene. Now would'nt that be fun?

IM out
Old 07-21-2005, 02:42 PM #13
Pitvyper69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyecare
Or a little old lady that hates Amercans living in the general area, right Josh?
God I hope not! Man was she a pain in the @$$ and I can now say that. Man that felt good!

Im out
Old 07-25-2005, 03:57 PM #14
Tasker

yeah, being the rod and gun mngr, i'm all in the middle of the protected/endangered species program here...mostly birds. I don't foresee any problems there, or with little ole' ladies though for our woodlndball. and we do have a lot of 'em riding by on their bikes...but #1 we have a small arms range that eclipses the noise the p8ntballers make, #2 we''re an lta (local training area...just think of grafenwoehr and the response local noise complaints get there, "could you please turn the M-1's down a bit?!") #3 the formula 1 race track (hockenheim) is across the street (very loud) and #4 we're in the middle of the hardtwald forest and the street we're on is actually leased by the us forces "privat weg" auf deutsch, danke.
OPM Fan Club #1
Other People's Markers
Old 07-25-2005, 04:07 PM #15
Tasker

Quote:
...They dont want the big building tied up for one thing over another. I can see that...
Did I mention that when I saw Eric the other week, he said the warehouse is lookin' real good...and that he talked to the director and she said, "it makes money? huh (tim taylor style)...yeah! do it". so i think eric's not only gonna' open the warehouse...but it's gonna' be paint not reball. He did, however, question its size...seems to think once everything's up...it'll barely do 3-man teams...

huh, looks big when you're standing in it...plus a bar...plus a bathroom! and there's a pro shop in there...
"Make Red Barron a paintball paradise (again) ---but keep your eyes on Heidelberg though...that, I promise "
OPM Fan Club #1
Other People's Markers
Old 07-25-2005, 09:48 PM #16
Pitvyper69

we''re an lta (local training area...just think of grafenwoehr and the response local noise complaints get there, "could you please turn the M-1's down a bit?!")

that I can see because its directly relates to mil training, the SOFA covers that and covers training with paintball, but for "fun" if you are allowing host nation members to play you could have the green party used as leverage to put pressure on you indirectly. Thats what happened to us. Not trying to say anything just an FYI thing.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 PM #17
Pitvyper69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasker
Did I mention that when I saw Eric the other week, he said the warehouse is lookin' real good...and that he talked to the director and she said, "it makes money? huh (tim taylor style)...yeah! do it". so i think eric's not only gonna' open the warehouse...but it's gonna' be paint not reball. He did, however, question its size...seems to think once everything's up...it'll barely do 3-man teams...

huh, looks big when you're standing in it...plus a bar...plus a bathroom! and there's a pro shop in there...
"Make Red Barron a paintball paradise (again) ---but keep your eyes on Heidelberg though...that, I promise "

I left all my plans and drawings measurements etc, in the paintball folders when I departed. If he can locate those he should have all the plans ready made. That place is big enough to do a regulartion 5 man filed easy, just depends on what else he wants to do.

What I could just not figure out was what to do with the paint once you shot it, how to clean it up. Good luck on that. If he has near the volume we used to have there is going to be massive ammounts of paint to deal with on a daily basis. It was not unusal for me to do 25 to 50 cases of paint a day ( for 3 fields) , and others I did as much as 65 to 95 and thats with guys taking their time playing games. If they do indoor there will be guys waiting for the next game so it will be in constant use. let go mid range numbers and say 35 cases a day roughly 70,000 rounds A DAY! How do you clean that up? I been at this thing a while and dont have an answer. Tthere really is plenty of room in there though.

Yes, Craig and I had plenty of plans for that place just never got the money and the OK at the same time. I know the Army is slow with the money part but it sounds like they are finally getting alot of it from when we first started asking for it. I really hope it all works out.

Im out
Old 07-26-2005, 01:25 PM #18
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

vyper, whenever i went, there were never more than 30 people playing, and if he asked around, he could probably get cleanup kids like the nppl! i might bug my parents to take me down there again once they have time cuz i want to see the hanger once its set up.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:17 PM #19
Tasker

Quote:
"...mid range numbers and say 35 cases a day roughly 70,000 rounds A DAY! How do you clean that up?..."
Lay down the rubber mats, throw down the astro turf, play hard
To clean: open the back doors, ask the fire department to conduct bi-weekly hose training...and blast the paint out...on the Navy's side! LOL! Next to the space bubbles. Ha! I crack myself up. (Don't ask me about drying up the place afterwards...).

hey vyp, did you hear about gerhard schroeder (chancellor) getting his term cut short? they're gonna' reelect this year and it looks like that chick merkel is gonna' win (how don't know how much of germany's politics you remember)...bottom line is, i think the green party isn't getting any smaller. definitely need to watch our backs.
OPM Fan Club #1
Other People's Markers
Old 07-29-2005, 03:08 PM #20
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

yeah, thats gonna be scary, especially since german politics are way more screwed up than american politics...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:06 PM #21
Pitvyper69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper
yeah, thats gonna be scary, especially since german politics are way more screwed up than american politics...
Never mix politics and paintball it NEVER works out for anyone. LOL

As for the mats, YUP that was my Idea, to get those interlocking rubber squares at the cushion and overlay with astro turf. Problem is the cleaning, astro turf is real slippery when covered with paint. There is a fair amount to paint that dont break ( I know a few guys who collect and resell that stuff at there field over there! thats nuts) so that easy to deal with but eventually it will be a mess. And old paint smells...bad. Cant wait to see how that turns out.

Im out