Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 AM #1
sharples

sharples is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
ambulance last Sunday??

why there an ambulance late in the afternoon at the 5 man event? my team was packing up ready to go so I didn't stick around to find out. any one know?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 AM #2
ImpactkidzJoe
Ride or Die

I think I heard someone say a kid got heat exhaustion or something?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:15 PM #3
hacker947

actually there were three ambulances in one time poeriod i think 3 ppl got dehryed and what not. But i heard one of the guys was refusing treatment but i am not sure
Old 07-11-2005, 01:21 PM #4
cky17
p2g

Annual Supporting Member
cky17 plays in the APPA D4 division
cky17 supports DLX Technology
The guy who was refusing was on my team, he should have went but did not want to.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:28 PM #5
hacker947

did he want to keep playing or just didnt want to go?
Old 07-11-2005, 01:37 PM #6
cky17
p2g

Annual Supporting Member
He wanted to go home. We told him to sit out a game and go rest because he looked pale and dead,then he got all bitter, left and sat in his car. The emt said he was dehydrated, had high blood pressure and something else. He should have gone but he signed a wavier and all that.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:06 PM #7
Slow_Target

911 was called because he could not answer correctly when he was asked what his name was. He was close to passing out for a while. Any good field owner would have call when someone is that bad. Not eating and only drinking Red Bull all day will do that to you.
The Paramedics and 2 ambulances showed up. It was from the 1 call.
Equalized Black Impulse #9792, Kapp on/off, Check-it low-rise, Dye 71/45, full Freak, JHII, SS RatHole, SP Mag trig, NDZ Equalizer bolt, Slik-Shot & R.I.P. valve, Hybrid grips.
Gen-E LCD#22139, toxic breach, Gold Evolve, ccm feed, cp reg & asa
99 Shocker Turbo/SelectFire #7069
"Originally posted by wolverine Be a man and pick a side of the fence and stay there. "
Old 07-11-2005, 04:23 PM #8
hacker947

o ok but why did they need three? (if any one knnows)
Old 07-11-2005, 05:14 PM #9
DeltaFox
Im in the 50

The guy was dehydrated, suffering from heat sickness, and on the verge of going into heat stroke. For those that don't know, that is where your body looses its ability to regulate its temperature, and it is a condition that is fatal on a regular basis. He came into the shop to get something to drink, but sat down on a stool before doing that. His muscles were spasaming, and he was sweating profusely. When asked what his name was he only shook his head. They called 911, who sent the ambulance for transport purposes, and the paramedics to treat him due to the fact that this was a life threatening emergency. There were only two ambulances, and Im not sure as to why the second ambulance was there exactely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Target
Not eating and only drinking Red Bull all day will do that to you.
Right on. Water and gatorade rock
Old 07-11-2005, 05:52 PM #10
cky17
p2g

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFox
Right on. Water and gatorade rock
That is very true! we had over 50 something waters on hand at our tent. then there were some gatorade propel which ROCKS!

Next event, Make sure you guys carry plenty of water/gatorade/power ade etc with you. Good luck at next event to all and have a great time.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:24 PM #11
xturnxdownxelliotx
short fat chicks are funy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky17
That is very true! we had over 50 something waters on hand at our tent. then there were some gatorade propel which ROCKS!

Next event, Make sure you guys carry plenty of water/gatorade/power ade etc with you. Good luck at next event to all and have a great time.

hows pat doin anyway? i tried callin him but he didnt pick up.

alias! yayay
Old 07-11-2005, 07:35 PM #12
Squidly
Team GXP

I personally went through a six pack of gatorade, 2 quarts of water and just *barely* made it through the day. On days like that you have to pound the liquids or you will pay the price. Especially if you're out running around wearing dark colors.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:54 PM #13
Paintballer476

Paintballer476 plays in the PSP
Paintballer476 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paintballer476 plays in the APPA D3 division
we had a case of bawls, 4 gallons of water, and red bulls, and before everygame our guys would soak there head gear withwater from the hose, and we where still in bad condition. One guy on our teams dad is a sports DR and saved me and 2 teammates before we got TO bad. we where all suffering, i know next event im bringing ALOT or liquid.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:20 PM #14
Slow_Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker947
o ok but why did they need three? (if any one knnows)
When a 911 call is made they tone out the nearest company. If that company doesn't come back with a responce in ~3 minutes, a second company is toned out. The first company is a volenteer and responded about 2 minutes after the second tone. The second company has permanent people on duty. The first company (Pedricktown) continued as back-up. The second company (Logan) also has a paramedic unit which responded. All three (2 ambulances and a paramedic unit) arrived at about the same time.

Paintballer476 - The Bawls and Red Bulls are NOT what you want to be drinking on a day like Sunday. He also had the shakes from not eating (low blood sugar). The lady inside is a nurse and another guy that is EMS were helping him, so he was in good hands.
Equalized Black Impulse #9792, Kapp on/off, Check-it low-rise, Dye 71/45, full Freak, JHII, SS RatHole, SP Mag trig, NDZ Equalizer bolt, Slik-Shot & R.I.P. valve, Hybrid grips.
Gen-E LCD#22139, toxic breach, Gold Evolve, ccm feed, cp reg & asa
99 Shocker Turbo/SelectFire #7069
"Originally posted by wolverine Be a man and pick a side of the fence and stay there. "
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM #15
xturnxdownxelliotx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Target
When a 911 call is made they tone out the nearest company. If that company doesn't come back with a responce in ~3 minutes, a second company is toned out. The first company is a volenteer and responded about 2 minutes after the second tone. The second company has permanent people on duty. The first company (Pedricktown) continued as back-up. The second company (Logan) also has a paramedic unit which responded. All three (2 ambulances and a paramedic unit) arrived at about the same time.

Paintballer476 - The Bawls and Red Bulls are NOT what you want to be drinking on a day like Sunday. He also had the shakes from not eating (low blood sugar). The lady inside is a nurse and another guy that is EMS were helping him, so he was in good hands.

luckily his friends were there so we had him in good hands...and yesss red bull= not good at all for that weather, and thats all he was drinking too cuz he was passin em out for us..

alias! yayay
Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 PM #16
sharples

sharples is a founding member
i agree with the above posts about caffeinated drinks being no good for you when engaging in physical activity in hot weather. Caffeine's a diuretic which means it sucks the water out of your body when you need it. Heres some other tips to take:
-drink plenty of water or even better, sports drinks (Gatorade); water alone will not replace the electrolytes lost when you sweat
-drink lotsa water BEFORE you begin feeling thirsty, like in the beginning of the day. this will minimize you from dehydration later on. Keep drinking fluids throughout the day.
-stay cool whenever possible. stay in the shade. wear light colored clothes. I saw a lot of people wearing dark colored long sleeves-probably the worst thing you can wear on a hot day. at least take it off when you're not playing.
-most important of all...if you begin showing signs of heat stress, like feeling
dizzy, getting pale, inability to sweat, etc....DON'T PUSH IT..take a break and or tell someone.
Heat stress is dangerous, and heat stroke is FATAL. Basically at that point you're body has lost its ability to cool and itself and your organs begin shutting down. This is a high medical emergency and if not treated can cause death. Knowing the symptoms is very important.

Keep ballin' and stay safe
Old 07-12-2005, 01:11 AM #17
cky17
p2g

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xturnxdownxelliotx
hows pat doin anyway? i tried callin him but he didnt pick up.
I don't know him, my teammate was the one that refused to go to the hospital. He was cohearent (sp) to sign a wavier to be released from the EMT's.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:03 AM #18
xturnxdownxelliotx

ohhh my bad i didnt kno there was more than one guy...i hope your teammates feeling better.

alias! yayay
Old 07-12-2005, 11:18 AM #19
WEsTCoASt BAlLeR
Bunkering near you Soon

hey i was one of the refs on event 3 of gpl. i have a mild case of heat sickness. you def had to pound the fluids! i barely made it through the day.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:38 PM #20
LazyBoyPB
1337 M1D P1@Y3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky17

sup, we were the ny sun devils camped like right behind u by the yukon...

NYSD...WHAT!!!
NYSD...YEAH!!!
NYSD...OK!!!