Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM #64
hal9000

OK, the home made equalink is done and works great, so for anybody else out there with a few skills and no patience for WAS... or no desire to spend $50, there is hope. There are a few things to report for the rest of the DIYers out there. My apologies for occasionally not using the proper techie language. A lot of this is just a re-hash of what my little brother and father described to me (they are the real EEs in the family)

1) THERE ARE TWO ERRORS ON THE SCHEMATIC THAT CABLEGUY POSTED! First, resistor R2 (currently listed as 4.7K) doesn't provide quite enough voltage for the + signal, so we replaced it with a 3.3K resistor and that solved the problem. Second and more importantly, Pins 7 and 8 on the DB9 connector must be jumpered so that the "clear to send/clear to recieve" signal gets back to the computer. Otherwise the equalink software won't even try to communicate with the board. (Some rs232 cables may have these pins internally jumpered, which could be why cableguy missed it).

Those were the only changes that we had to make to get the board to work the way WAS designed it. Once we proved the device on a breadboard (which is how we actually flashed my board), we made a run to radio shack and bought the smallest perforated project board and project box they had to build the device. Rather than hacking a serial cable, we just used a surface mount serial cable plug. So after some soldering and dremeling, I have a little black box with a serial cable plug on the top and an 8" leader that goes to the df13 plug for the WAS board. Just plug it into any serial cable and attach to your computer. It's very compact and easy to store, and the board is protected. All that's left is to protect the top side of the df13 plug with a little epoxy for good measure, and fill one hole that I dremeled in the wrong spot in the lid of the box.

We tested the board out on two laptops, one using a USB to serial adapter and it worked on both. But that being said, it's worth noting that the equalink board is a weak sauce design that bends and breaks several of the rules for standard rs232 communications. Instead of using +/- 3v (or better yet +/- 5-15v) like it should, this board produces +3v and 0v (actually, a bit over 0v) for the communications signal. This is bound to cause problems for some more finicky computers and it's amazing in my opinion that it hasn't come up in the past. Both my brother and father looked at the schematic and commented that WAS really should have done a better job if they were planning to sell their cable commercially. The "right" way to build this circuit would have been to just use an rs232 chip that produces a negative voltage right out of the box and then be done with it.... If anybody has problems getting their computer to communicate with the cable as it exists, it would be a simple task to redesign the circuit and do it right.

Anyway, that's the news that is the news. Just remember those two corrections to the schematic and you should be in the clear. My brother supplied most of the electronic components and the df-13 connector, but even if you have to buy everything, you should be able to build this board for about $15 including the box and serial adapter. If you want to have a full length cable on your board like the OEM equalink board did, then you'll probably spend more on a cable than you do on the rest of the components! The only glitch pricewise is that you might have to make a minimum order when you buy the df-13 components (there are a few places, including mouser that you can buy them from), and from a diy standpoint, it's not worth spending the money for the crimper, but you can crimp the connectors with a pair of needle nose pliers, then solder them for good measure as long as you're careful to avoid accidentally filling in the connector itself. Ryan couuldn't get his crimper from the office, so that's what we ended up doing.

Finally, I've forgotten which end of the connector on the board is the ground end (TP1 on the schematic).... I think it was the right end, but you'll have to confirm that yourself since I don't want to open up my equalink box to doube check it right now. Anybody who can build this boad should be able to figure that out in a few minutes. That'll be important when you're assembling the df-13 plug since you'll need to get the plug body oriented correctly.

Have fun everybody!
hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 AM #65
icp-ms
Gmax Owner

can someone repost the Scematic? The link isn't working anymore
icp-ms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:06 PM #66
AjAk124578
Total FeedBack: +110/-1

AjAk124578 supports Pev's Paintball
AjAk124578 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
AjAk124578 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
AjAk124578 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
well since that was a little over 2 years ago id say... no.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM #67
hal9000

I may (May being the operative word) have a hard copy of the schematic showing the corrections I made. I'll be digging into my closet this weekend since I'm selling off my old 2k2's and gear (just posted them in the classifieds, that's why I'm back here). If I can find the schematic I'll see about scanning it and re-posting.....

Edit: Found the schematic, You guys are lucky, It was under some other things and has a coffee stain, but is still plenty readable. I'll scan it at work tomorrow and see about posting it and emailing it to the guy who asked.

I also heard that the WAS equalink software isn't online anymore....??? I have it on my old computer, but dont' know if I have time to resurrect it just to get the software off of it. If somebody has it and can maybe upload it somewhere, I'm sure that there will be some grateful users out there.

Last edited by hal9000 : 11-09-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 AM #68
TexF18

i uploaded the equalink software enjoy

http://www.mediafire.com/?y222cbu5z84ce
Bomber DM10
2K3 AKA Viking
2003 Works Autococker PACS Edition Dust Black
TexF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM #69
icp-ms
Gmax Owner

Thanks for the Software
does anyone have the Excalibur and Timmy SW?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM #70
hal9000

Here's the schematic with the necessary changes noted on it... Sorry for the stain and crappy handwriting, I'm too lazy to clean the copy up....

Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 PM #71
hal9000

Hey guys, I was able to fix my old computer (turned out my wireless card was DOA easy fix) and got my old paintball files off of it.

I have the equalink v1.9 software, and firmware v2.9 for the WAS cards and the Equalizer operation manual if anybody needs. I'll also be building an equalink for the guy who is buying my last old marker and maybe an extra one or two if anybody wants one. I'll be doing that later this week so let me know if you're interested.

I was wondering if anybody has any of the earlier versions of the firmware saved that they could post up or send me to add to the collection. I know this is all old discontinued stuff at this point... but I'm sure it will prove useful to the people who are still running it if we can make it available....
Old 11-24-2010, 03:12 AM #72
icp-ms
Gmax Owner

Ok, here a collection, of exisiting Software. So we can find out whats missing

Each marker currently has its own Equalink software

Intimidator
Equalink software: v1.1
Current Firmware version: 2.8

Provided by icp-ms

ALL NEW NPPL/PSP/NXL FIRING MODE UPDATE
v1.9 of the Equalink software (NEW AS OF 08/08/05)
Boot_v29.eqd - latest bootloader update for the Intimidator
Intimidator_v29b.eqd - latest firmware for the Intimidator (NEW AS OF 08/08/05 - fixes problem with marker ID being PIMP)

Provided by icp-ms

Viking/Excalibur
Current Equalink software: v1.4
Current Bootloader version: v1.3
Current Firmware version: v1.6

Found on Dan's Site

ALL NEW NPPL/PSP/NXL FIRING MODE UPDATE FOR VIKING ONLY!
Equalink.exe - v1.8 of the Equalink software
Boot_v20.eqd - latest bootloader update for the Viking
Viking_v20.eqd - latest firmware for the Viking

Provided by TexF18

Impulse
Required Equalink software: v1.7 - click here (included with setup3.exe)
Current Firmware version: 2.4 - click here (included with setup3.exe)

PMI Pimp Kit
Current Firmware version: 1.2 (included with setup3.exe)

System-X NME
Current Firmware version: 2.0 (included with setup3.exe)

AlienPB Interceptor
Current Firmware version: 2.0 (included with setup3.exe)

All files for Impulse, Pimp, NME and Interceptor from TexF18

Last edited by icp-ms : 12-10-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:13 PM #73
Jeb101
The Tinkerer

@icp-ms, You sir are a god! haha I have been looking up and down on the tubes "The Internets" and couldn't find the software, and next thing I know you put up this post!

Thanks a million, I like many people will find this very useful I'm sure!

Cheers,
JB
Jeb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 AM #74
hal9000

Equalink - Perfected!

Everybody, I just finished building another equalink for the guy who bought my last marker and I made two spares just in case anybody else needs one.

This time around, I completely abandoned the original WAS design (in the schematic above) and built it using a single rs232 Integrated Circuit. This is really the way WAS should have done it if they were planning to sell the unit to begin with. It's a much more elegant and "correct" design than the WAS rs232 level converter. As with my first unit, it's all contained in a nice little project box to protect it.

I tested all of the units I've built on my last 2K2 marker before I shipped it out so I know they all work. But since I don't have any more DF-13 pins and I don't have a WAS equipped marker to test the units with anymore, I won't be building any more of them.

If you want one let me know. I'll also send along a CD with all the WAS software and manuals I have. That includes at least two versions of the equalink software, firmware v2.9 and I think either 2.8 or 2.7 as well. A PDF screen shot of the WAS instruction page just in case it disappears completely, schematics for the unit just in case you ever need to service it, and whatever else I can find. I gotta go through it all to see for sure what else I have.

Last edited by hal9000 : 11-28-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM #75
Bobomob
the other white meat

Im not quite an expert in electronics yet but i have been working on flashing an xbox. Some of them require you to either buy or make a TTL to RS232 converter and i recently found out that old nokia phone cables you can get for 5 dollars have them built in.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

That one is TTL to USB but since it works in grabbing the keys off of a TTL dvd controller i would imagine it to be a simple task to make it work as an equalink cable
Bobomob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 PM #76
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 is playing at Living Legends VII
tjs0349 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
Everybody, I just finished building another equalink for the guy who bought my last marker and I made two spares just in case anybody else needs one.

This time around, I completely abandoned the original WAS design (in the schematic above) and built it using a single rs232 Integrated Circuit. This is really the way WAS should have done it if they were planning to sell the unit to begin with. It's a much more elegant and "correct" design than the WAS rs232 level converter. As with my first unit, it's all contained in a nice little project box to protect it.

I tested all of the units I've built on my last 2K2 marker before I shipped it out so I know they all work. But since I don't have any more DF-13 pins and I don't have a WAS equipped marker to test the units with anymore, I won't be building any more of them.

If you want one let me know. I'll also send along a CD with all the WAS software and manuals I have. That includes at least two versions of the equalink software, firmware v2.9 and I think either 2.8 or 2.7 as well. A PDF screen shot of the WAS instruction page just in case it disappears completely, schematics for the unit just in case you ever need to service it, and whatever else I can find. I gotta go through it all to see for sure what else I have.
Can you post the schematic for the new version? Also could you post the 2.8 software? I have 2.9, but need 2.8 for the Intimidator as it it the last version that supports the LCD.

Thanks!
Tim
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM #77
hal9000

Tim,
I've been looking and so far I haven't found the 2.8 firmware in my old files. Sorry.

I'm hesitant to post the schematics just yet. I'd rather try to sell the extras I made before I just give the design away. Maybe if they don't sell in a few months I'll come back and post up the nice schematic my little brother drew up (he has a very expensive electronics program he uses for work and while I was soldering, he was drawing)
Old 12-02-2010, 06:16 PM #78
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 is playing at Living Legends VII
tjs0349 supports Empire
Thanks for looking. I understand not wanting to give them away. If you haven't already, i would go to some of the marker specific sites that use WAS boards (such as intimidatorowners.com) and post them in the BST. I know there are a lot of guys over ther with WAS boards. Might find some buyers. I would buy one, but I already have an original :-)
Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 AM #79
hal9000

Yup, I'm posted at intimidator owners group. One of their members bought a unit from me a few days ago.

I have one left to sell, then I don't see any problem with posting the schematics. Without a WAS boarded marker (just shipped my last one last week) I can't test the programmers as I build them anyway.

Here's a few photos of the (nearly) finished units by the way.... The only changes are screws in all 4 corners of the boards, screws at the DB9 connector, a dab of epoxy at the plug to protect the wires from fatiguing (like the originals). and a little more shrink tubing on the lead wires to the plug.

Last edited by hal9000 : 12-03-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:34 AM #80
icp-ms
Gmax Owner

now, we got all files together. I updated the post above

here you find all in one *.rar archive
http://www.mediafire.com/?dhk2ofcvwflbd77