PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-17-2001, 07:58 PM #1
oldyellr7
Psycho by Nature

has been a member for 10 years
jeez people, are there really that few problems out there? or are we just gonna leave this forum empty?

After hearing how loud my gun is, I decided on buying a new barrel, (haven't decided which one yet), and I also polished my bolt and hammer, will this do anything what so ever? Any other suggestions on how to make my fish less noisy without spending a fortune?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2001, 03:57 AM #2
Avram
Happier when naked.

Quote:
Originally posted by oldyellr7
After hearing how loud my gun is, I decided on buying a new barrel, (haven't decided which one yet), and I also polished my bolt and hammer, will this do anything what so ever? Any other suggestions on how to make my fish less noisy without spending a fortune?
Barrel - Yes

As for polishing the bolt - I would hope that it doesn't change anything since it shouldnt be contacting anything directly (O-rings). Unless its delrin, in which case you probably shouldn't fool with it unless it has noticeable defects (which would probably make me send it back).

Hammer - Same thing except for where the sear slides, may make trigger pull slightly smoother but chances you wont notice. Technically, the less friction - the more efficient, but those two areas wont affect it THAT much.

Main areas of sound are from the hammer hitting the valve (*CLANG*) and of course the shooting of the ball. This is really the only area Low-Pressure actually helps quite a bit.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:52 PM #3
PiranhaPro

What? The internals DO touch the inside of the gun. Every marker with moving internals has contact. Thats why polishing internals helps. Going LP will also help reduce noise
Old 04-21-2001, 08:13 PM #4
Avram
Happier when naked.

Quote:
Originally posted by PiranhaPro
What? The internals DO touch the inside of the gun. Every marker with moving internals has contact. Thats why polishing internals helps. Going LP will also help reduce noise
There is something wrong with your bolt if it is touching the body, I know my o-rings extend a good mm past the diameter of the bolt(at the front) and slightly less near the back and the only show of contact is where it hits the powerfeed. The hammer is a different case where it does have a greater chance of contact (o-ring barely extends) but my body or hammer doesn't show any places where it is rubbing except along the bottom.

O-rings are there to insure a good seal, the result of this is that the surrounding material must be of equal or less diameter. Their manufacturing tolerances probably don't lathe any of this down specifically so the o-ring is completely flush; the o-rings would have to be equally consistant. I doubt this for many reasons but most of all economy since any slight screw up and it would have to be scrapped. It's easier to have the o-rings make up the slack. Sure there is contact, but it is probably just chance and the 5 psi you might save from polishing the contact points would pale in comparison to the several hundred you save from regulation and higher-flow parts. I mean, if you have the tools, go ahead, but I wouldn't pay for anything to do it.

Last edited by Avram : 04-21-2001 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:58 AM #5
woodchuck

the cocking rod contacts the body.
Old 05-23-2001, 09:07 PM #6
PiranhaPro

Damn, this post is still on the front page? I havent been to this site in at least a month or two.

And, Avram or whatever your name is, field strip your gun for me, look at the back portion of the bolt, if your gun has been fired more than 500 times, i can gaurentee you there is little scratches on the bolt right there, and what do scratches come from? Oh, thats right, CONTACT.
Old 05-25-2001, 08:58 PM #7
oldyellr7
Psycho by Nature

Hey Pro wasssup, glad to see you back. I'm suprised my posts are still up top too, but the dojo refugee's have been digging in old post and ressurecting them, so thats why they look familiar. I tried to keep this section alive, it looked bad for a while, but we're still kicking.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:17 PM #8
PiranhaPro

yeah im back, for a while at least, i dont really like this site, but i'll prolly visit this forum...so, i'll be here from time to time