Someone mailed me the other day and asked me questions about how he could get on a Top Competing team or Legacy and asked this.
1. What Qualities do I look for
2. What is the Most Important Quality
3. What is the best way to market yourself
4. Am I always looking for new players
5. How do I come across new players
1The easiest is to say I am looking for players who will fit a particular role on the team..A team full of great players is just that.. Great players but they cannot neccessarily play together.
I see a player and see what he is doing and then think if he would fit or are we in need of this kind of player.
2. The most important quality is that they are coachable.. Can they listen?..can they take criticism? are they willing to be part of a team and not have such a huge Ego. Goat on the team is constantly referring to Humility.. I think he is correct..
3. The best way for a player to market themselves is to play as much as they can and try and play the big tournaments.. Get on a team that is going to the PSP's or the NPPL's or the Milleniums. Then make sure you be social at the different booths and especially your teams sponsors.. Try and help them in any way you can. Be willing to pay your own way for awhile and not look for a team that is going to give you everything first..
(Pay first then Play)
4. I am always looking for players.. Some players on a team are always trying to see if they can get a better deal.. Not much loyalty with players today.. I want loyal players.. Right now Legacy has allot of Loyal players and there are not too many open spots nor do I see any coming up.. But yes I have to be looking and players are always coming up to me or E-Mailing wanting to be on the Team.
5. The previuos question sort of answers this one.. Players call.. Team players call me to look or they bring a player who they think will be good on the team. I am usually roaming the different fields at tournaments and see if a player catches my eye...
Set a Long Term goal, lets say two to three years then set short term goals that cover a single season.. then set those Monthly..Weekly and daily goals...
Write them down on paper and share them with a parent..spouse or friend..
Hope this helps or gives players some ideas to set their goals.