PROs,You, against NECK PROTECTION - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: do u think neck guards really help?
YES 18 31.58%
NO 21 36.84%
somewhat 18 31.58%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-18-2002, 10:30 PM #1
ASSALBERT
A7X

has been a member for 10 years
PROs,You, against NECK PROTECTION

hey, i dont see any pros or tourney players wearing neck protection. WHY? do YOU think they help?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2002, 10:35 PM #2
siayajin
not a 2K1er

siayajin is a Supporting Member
They do reduce the pain of throat shots, but personally, they're just uncomfortable to wear.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:04 PM #3
a_malfunction
Damnit! It malfunctioned!

Like siayajin said, they are uncomfortable and you dont get shot in the neck often. If you do, you are doing something wrong.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:45 PM #4
OleMissRebelFan
got fans?

Hey

Ive been shot once in the back of the neck, Rec, about 5-6 on the 3 of us good dudes who were left, a dude moves into a bunker 10yds to my 1 oclock, he lites me up and as im turning to walk away, he bonus balled me right in the neck, frickin loser
Haha
it aint that bad
Kyle
Old 06-19-2002, 11:47 AM #5
C]-[iLDe
Fly Or Die

C]-[iLDe is a Supporting Member
I was shot in the neck from across the field over a year ago and i STILL have neck pain occasionally. Ive taken 3 throat shots in my life, besides that one, and one was when I wasn't even playing. I wear a neck guard now. Better to have paint hit some neoprene padding than your bare skin.

Having difficulty deciphering my extensive vocabulary? Click HERE
Old 06-19-2002, 02:05 PM #6
Bridger
pump/stock!

YOu never know what will happen when you bunker someone and it goes wrong or when they bunker you. I have seen some pretty nasty neck welts. I have taken shots straight on the protector. They still hurt, but I had no bloody swollen welts.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:08 PM #7
Skofe
Banned

I have a lil tiny scar from being shot in the neck, but my friend/teamate has a huge one, thats bubbley, from being shot like 6 months ago. I still dont wear one. but i've been shot in the nuts, and dont wear a cup, so i'm crazy
Old 06-19-2002, 03:25 PM #8
$cYnTiFiK
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Skofe
I have a lil tiny scar from being shot in the neck, but my friend/teamate has a huge one, thats bubbley, from being shot like 6 months ago. I still dont wear one. but i've been shot in the nuts, and dont wear a cup, so i'm crazy
wow u truly are crazy! you are now my idol
Old 06-20-2002, 09:48 AM #9
IronMike
Illini Paintball Warriors

I think they help a lot because once I started wearing one, I never got shot in the neck again. Except for that one time I forgot to wear it.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:24 AM #10
Skofe
Banned

Quote:
I think they help a lot because once I started wearing one, I never got shot in the neck again. Except for that one time I forgot to wear it.
Are you saying they have super powers that keep the balls away from your neck?
Old 06-20-2002, 11:42 AM #11
SiLeNt 98
KRaZy

ive been shot in the neck after I ran to a crate that has a crack in it. I was just about to bring my gun ovethe top,I usualy go out the side but it was 1 vs. 1 so what the hell and a ball went right though the crack and landed right at that spot on ur neck were you can push in and ther is like a coller bone on both sides and the rib cage below. I couldnt breath for about 45 seconds. That was the scaryest feeling ever
Silver SL-68II
Old 06-20-2002, 07:23 PM #12
cobra136

why would u there annoying, u want a real thrill play paintball comando with ur zipper open
Old 06-20-2002, 07:43 PM #13
Buff 08
There is no substitute

Buff 08 is a Supporting Member
Buff 08 is a founding member
If you get shot in the neck your doing something wrong.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:29 PM #14
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja

HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally posted by Buff 08
If you get shot in the neck your doing something wrong.
wrong, if you get shot in the neck it's **** bad luck. i've been shot and bunkered there, doesnt really bother me that much.besides neckguards look gay.

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"
Old 06-20-2002, 09:13 PM #15
Buff 08
There is no substitute

Ok let me rephrase that. If you get shot in the neck your doing something wrong, unless your getting bunkered. Is that better?
Old 06-21-2002, 12:04 AM #16
Switch
Switch 3-man

Switch is a Supporting Member
dont live yer life around doing what pros do. Dont feel safe just because they dont use them, so its ok. Have you ever heard of people getting tumors from having alot of hickeys when they were younger? its true, it happens. Internal bleeding (bruises) can easily become tumorous in your older years. Plus your thyroid is in your neck. My mom has thyroid problems and trust me its not fun. who cares if your a little uncomfortable, its better than having your later years sucking butthole. did you know 11 people die each year from paintball? i am sure a fraction of those are caused by broken airways. only 8 lbs of pressure can break an airway. play safe
FOR SALE/TRADE: Red 2k2 Vert Feed Cocker. Black Bomb 3-way. Chromo Kapp Rhino Reg. Chrome Planet Eclipse Hinge Frame. 68/45 PMI 08/99. Cocker Freak, black alum back, 12" Teardrop black tip, .689 insert. 12 volt revy. Silver MacDev Gladiator. NEW Diablo Sabotage Electro Blowback.
Looking for/Will trade for : Chrome or blue twisted volumizers(angel). Angel 14" Barrels(JT/Boomstick/CP). DEZigns Bolt(angel). CP micro drop(blue). Halo. Any other angel upgrades welcome.
------------------------Donate to PBNation------------------------
Old 06-22-2002, 11:55 AM #17
GIK4
drink. play. die.

11 people die a year from paintball? ive never heard of any deaths from paintball

and about getting hit in the throat, when i was doing martial arts (kick boxing, tae kwon do, shukokai) i was it in the throat quite a few times while sparing and the worst thing that ever happened was i blacked out

a fist or foot carries alot more force than does a paintball, so im not too worried about myself

The next time I move I hope I get a real easy phone number, something like 2222222. People will ask, "Mitch, how do I get a hold of you?" I'll say, "Just press two for a while, when I answer, you'll know that you've pressed two enough."

~ For mitch
Old 06-22-2002, 12:34 PM #18
ThePatriot

Never been hit directly in the front of the neck, sides yes. All i know is, i have had the wind knocked out of me quite a few times, and its not fun, i could imagine not being able to breathe and how much it would suck.
Warp Feed
And the NEW Level 10 MOD
Old 06-23-2002, 07:21 PM #19
Buff 08
There is no substitute

I have had a lacrosse stick shoved strait into the front on my neck from about 2 feet away, it knocked the wind out of me. But Im alright no tumors or anything. And a paintball is much smaller and less force then that.

Plus you shoulnt be getting hit in the neck anyway
Old 06-23-2002, 08:32 PM #20
IronMike
Illini Paintball Warriors

Quote:
Originally posted by Skofe

Are you saying they have super powers that keep the balls away from your neck?
I think that could very well be the case. I'm not worried about death or tumors, it's just painful and annoying. I had a huge bloody welt for several days at one point. At first it seemed cool, but then everyone just looked at me funny (err, funnier than usual). It really only happens during bunker moves or when you're as far down the field as the opposing guy at the snake and nobody notices.

Granted, I haven't been hit there lately, most likely because my skills have improved. Regardless, I have gotten a bounce or two off of it.

I was gonna post a picture of my nasty neck, but decided not to. If you really want to see, it's at the bottom of this page:
one of my pic pages
Old 06-24-2002, 06:11 PM #21
PBKoko
Stroke it good

i dont wear a neck guard... but i know it hurts like heck to get anything done to it. I got hit with a ball right above my adam's apple, and i couldn't breath for 1+1/2 minutes... really horrible feeling. Then my bro kicked me in the neck the next day. I decided not to go paintballing that weekend.. t33 h33...

It's really all up to you, if you dont find it comfortable or if you really think you need it..

VSC/SC Phantom